can a brand new phone ip68 phone get Water damage ( xperia 1 ii )

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Silica gel works to a degree on my phone, the screen was able to turn on with the start-up logo but as soon it turns on it restarts itself.
I guess two day wasn't enough, especially on phones that are partially sealed, but I guess its true, not all phones are made equal when it comes to waterproof, I remember my XZ was completely waterproof, the swimming pool kind of waterproof.

Its like buying a lottery when you get a phone that fails its waterproof.
still waiting for update from the seller hahaha.
It needs to be completely dry before power up.
It should have had the battery disconnected because the power controller circuits aren't completely powered down even when off.
The longer it stays in that state the greater the chances the damage will be permanent. Corrosion never sleeps.

Unless it's a dedicated underwater camera or enclosure never assume it will be watertight.
Even these enclosures have extra room for water leakage. If you saw the seals in these cams you be more cautious. They usually work pretty good but they can fail straight from the box or at any time... as you have witnessed. I keep my phones bone dry in spite of their water ratings.

Reactions: SinclairLen

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
So they vacuum pack my phone before trying anything, so I was lucky they actually tried something off the books, now my phone is all good, but the warranty was void.

Advice before any watery endeavours *#*#7378432#*#* service test, pressure sensor, see the pressure if it drops when you press it, if it drop it means its not waterproof.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got some silica gel put in an air tight jar, its been sitting over night since yesterday, hope it turns on tomorrow, or else I am gonna feel so awkward when I bring it to their store.

Damn I've never brought a Xperia phone or any phone in for water damage or any sort of claim warranty before, its giving me the shakes.
    That will do nothing. Do Not power it up.
    Yes it might.
    That's a AMOLED display not a LCD...
    Sony use since xperia 1 an Oled display and not Amoled.
    That will do nothing. Do Not power it up.
    You'd be surprised at what silica dessicant beads can do.
    Heat can help but the point is to make the air inside the bag extremely dry. Air readily absorbs moisture, which eventually evaporates. Very true about keeping everything turned off; while deionized water is non conductive and won't bother anything, most accidental spills and drops are in contaminated water which not only can be conductive, but may leave behind trace elements as it evaporates.

Still, I've had quite good success with desiccant rescue bags.
    I've cleaned thousands of circuit boards over to remove the flux. Sticking them in a sealed container with dry air is one thing I never did to dry them. Anhydrous sopropyl alcohol is an excellent cleaning/drying agent for most electronics, but needs a dry room to avoid condensation as it evaporates. Dry warm/hot air with high air flow is best for both isopropyl and water. Most times I also used compressed air to knock off the solvent/water beads then dry the pcbs. A high air flow blower of a large shop vac was another favorite for drying them.

Heat drives out moisture ie hot box. Hot boxes have been used for over a century especially in humid climates to preserve surgical instruments, camera equipment and electronics. Works regardless of the outside humidity. The box or cabinet is sealed but not completely air tight.
    The surgery room at Pennhurst actually had it's surgery instrument cabinets lined in the back with steam heated radiators, circa about 1900.
    They had large glass doors.

You could vacuum dry it though as this be very effective but again the cover should to be removed at the minimum. It's easy to make a small vacuum chamber, the vacuum pump doesn't need to pull a high vacuum to work well at a warm temperature.

Desiccant bags are best used to keep sealed items dry rather than to remove water per se.
    I use them to protect lens.

As for the conductivity of the water it's a crap shoot. It could be mixed with sweat, be acidic, or otherwise contaminated.
    I used RO water to flush my Buds case when it fell into a full cup of coffee, cream and sugar. The RO water to chase the sugar, then anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to chase the cream and water. Allowed it to dry in the sun and in a room for a day with the spot welded battery in it. I had the case torn apart and flushed within 5 minutes. 2 years later it still works normally. I drank the coffee after I cleaned the case, perfect day🤣
    Silica gel works to a degree on my phone, the screen was able to turn on with the start-up logo but as soon it turns on it restarts itself.
    I guess two day wasn't enough, especially on phones that are partially sealed, but I guess its true, not all phones are made equal when it comes to waterproof, I remember my XZ was completely waterproof, the swimming pool kind of waterproof.

Its like buying a lottery when you get a phone that fails its waterproof.
    still waiting for update from the seller hahaha.
    It needs to be completely dry before power up.
    It should have had the battery disconnected because the power controller circuits aren't completely powered down even when off.
    The longer it stays in that state the greater the chances the damage will be permanent. Corrosion never sleeps.

Unless it's a dedicated underwater camera or enclosure never assume it will be watertight.
    Even these enclosures have extra room for water leakage. If you saw the seals in these cams you be more cautious. They usually work pretty good but they can fail straight from the box or at any time... as you have witnessed. I keep my phones bone dry in spite of their water ratings.