• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Can anyone upload the boot.img if they can find it?

Search This thread

onyxcode

You don't need to pay it off to get your device unlocked. mobbdeep unlocked my phone even though it wasn't paid off yet and the OEM unlock option isn't greyed out anymore.

However, there's something that's been bothering me: With T-Mobile branded OP devices, you have to fill out an unlock request form on their website to unlock the bootloader. However, I checked their form and there's no option to request an unlock token for the N200 5G, so I'm not even sure if the bootloader can be unlocked on the Nord N200 just yet. Granted, I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader on my device yet. Can someone else try and unlock the bootloader on their N200?
Another reason why I left T-Mobile

chanman207

Dec 6, 2008
You don't need to pay it off to get your device unlocked. mobbdeep unlocked my phone even though it wasn't paid off yet and the OEM unlock option isn't greyed out anymore.

However, there's something that's been bothering me: With T-Mobile branded OP devices, you have to fill out an unlock request form on their website to unlock the bootloader. However, I checked their form and there's no option to request an unlock token for the N200 5G, so I'm not even sure if the bootloader can be unlocked on the Nord N200 just yet. Granted, I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader on my device yet. Can someone else try and unlock the bootloader on their N200?
The N200 5G now shows up on the form. I just submitted a request with my unlock code and will report back.

yuriowo

Jul 23, 2021
Pekoland
I've got a Nord N200 5G with the bootloader unlocked. How would I go about getting a boot.img for you all?

Oneplus doesn't even have stock firmware up on their site but I literally just picked up this phone from Best Buy unlocked so I don't get why not.

lzgmc

I tried getting the MSM tools for the N200 yesterday by asking customer support for a remote session and...
1627425112048.png

Oh well. Guess we won't be able to root this phone for a little while unless OnePlus releases a full OTA update on their website.

Reactions: nv270 and onyxcode

daboross

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'll try right now.
As per my update post (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...img-if-they-can-find-it.4303179/post-85328635), I tried the method using fastboot and it is not possible on this device.

In my opinion, we need a working TWRP or other custom recovery build first. Then, one of us with an unlocked bootloader can flash that recovery and use *that* to grab the boot image.

The only problem is that no one has ported TWRP yet, and installing TWRP will erase the basic recovery so there would be no way to get back. If we get boot.img, though, we can then use magisk to patch that, and *someone else* can install magisk without TWRP and use that root permission to grab the default recovery.

You could gain elevated access over adb and maybe find the boot.img

Do you know how to gain elevated privileges over adb without first rooting the device?

As I understand it, the problem is that we have no way to gain root access - no custom recovery usable to modify the system ROM, and no boot.img to install magisk through boot.img. Without a rooted device, is there a way to gain elevated privileges via adb?

onyxcode

As per my update post (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...img-if-they-can-find-it.4303179/post-85328635), I tried the method using fastboot and it is not possible on this device.

In my opinion, we need a working TWRP or other custom recovery build first. Then, one of us with an unlocked bootloader can flash that recovery and use *that* to grab the boot image.

The only problem is that no one has ported TWRP yet, and installing TWRP will erase the basic recovery so there would be no way to get back. If we get boot.img, though, we can then use magisk to patch that, and *someone else* can install magisk without TWRP and use that root permission to grab the default recovery.

Do you know how to gain elevated privileges over adb without first rooting the device?

As I understand it, the problem is that we have no way to gain root access - no custom recovery usable to modify the system ROM, and no boot.img to install magisk through boot.img. Without a rooted device, is there a way to gain elevated privileges via adb?
I haven't really had a chance to delve into the permissions it has but I was able to freely access every data folder and most of the root of the phone's files. You can use Shizuku which I talked about in this post. You can also just connect to a computer each time which is tedious but still possible. However it did still deny me access when I tried to access /boot or whatever so we may have a problem.

Reactions: daboross

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now mine is SIM unlocked and OEM unlock enabled.
    Now I have to figure out how to get boot.img

The N200 5G now shows up on the form. I just submitted a request with my unlock code and will report back.
    It's possible to buy one of these on the oneplus store, too, now. I've ordered one, and I'm hoping that since it's not affiliated with any particular carrier, it'll be factory-unlocked?

We'll see, but if all goes well I may be able to upload a boot image wednesday or thursday.

Edit: though, I'm skeptical. Even if you have a boot.img, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader, can you really install Magisk?

And if you have an unlocked bootloader, you should be able to extract the boot.img file yourself using `fastboot`. Or at least, such extraction is possible.
    Did anybody try system dump or root required for that?
    I believe that requires root. Or at least, everything I find either lists root as a requirement (like https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-making-dump-files-out-of-android-device-partitions.2450045/), or uses the "su" command on adb shell which is only available if rooted.
    I tried getting the MSM tools for the N200 yesterday by asking customer support for a remote session and...
    1627425112048.png

Oh well. Guess we won't be able to root this phone for a little while unless OnePlus releases a full OTA update on their website.