• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can every Pixel 3 be bootloader unlocked and rooted?

Search This thread

elkinm

Mar 29, 2013
Some time ago I bought a Pixel 2. It was the Verizon variant which has a permanently locked boot loader with no way around it.

The question is, is there any Pixel 3 with permanently locked bootloader or other restriction or can every one be unlocked and rooted?

EDIT, After posting, it showed me related posts (I did search by the way) stating that the Verizon Pixel 3 is permanently locked. Is this the only one of concern. So as long I get anything but Verizon I can root it? Thanks again.

Last edited:

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Some time ago I bought a Pixel 2. It was the Verizon variant which has a permanently locked boot loader with no way around it.

The question is, is there any Pixel 3 with permanently locked bootloader or other restriction or can every one be unlocked and rooted?

EDIT, After posting, it showed me related posts (I did search by the way) stating that the Verizon Pixel 3 is permanently locked. Is this the only one of concern. So as long I get anything but Verizon I can root it? Thanks again.
AT&T phones are usually bootloader locked also. T-Mobile phones can usually be unlocked. Also the Google branded phones can be unlocked. However, I have seen reports of refurbished phones that had the bootloader locked during the refurbishing process. Better get a guarantee the bootloader can be unlocked.

bmw9651

Jan 16, 2014
AT&T phones are usually bootloader locked also. T-Mobile phones can usually be unlocked. Also the Google branded phones can be unlocked. However, I have seen reports of refurbished phones that had the bootloader locked during the refurbishing process. Better get a guarantee the bootloader can be unlocked.
I have a verizon pixel 2 that i unlocked. you can google how to. I bought a google pixel 3 from google and can be unlocked. the pixel 2 can be unlocked use toolkit. toolkit will do the work for you.

Reactions: elkinm

bmw9651

Jan 16, 2014

For the Pixel 3 use Tool all in one. it will root phone for you.

Reactions: elkinm

elkinm

Mar 29, 2013
Thank you for your help. I was able to find a Google Edition Pixel 3 and immediately and successfully unlocked the boot-loader with the TOOL_ALL_IN_ONE.

I was not able to unlock my Verizon pixel 2 with that or the Unified Toolkit as it is permanently locked.

Instead of rooting, I checked system updates. It had android 11 and did give me an update to Android 12 so OTA updates work with an unlocked boot-loader.

But OMG 12 looks horrible. The huge settings buttons with no way to shrink them and huge lock screen clock as well as all the text in the settings and no customization like in 11.

It think the biggest step backwards ever on Android. I am so happy my pixel 2 stopped at 11.

Now that I am unlocked I can do anything, maybe go to LineageOS, but am I the only one who hates stock Android 12? I suppose there are better places for that.

Thanks again.

AtrixHDMan

Mar 3, 2015
Thank you for your help. I was able to find a Google Edition Pixel 3 and immediately and successfully unlocked the boot-loader with the TOOL_ALL_IN_ONE.

I was not able to unlock my Verizon pixel 2 with that or the Unified Toolkit as it is permanently locked.

Instead of rooting, I checked system updates. It had android 11 and did give me an update to Android 12 so OTA updates work with an unlocked boot-loader.

But OMG 12 looks horrible. The huge settings buttons with no way to shrink them and huge lock screen clock as well as all the text in the settings and no customization like in 11.

It think the biggest step backwards ever on Android. I am so happy my pixel 2 stopped at 11.

Now that I am unlocked I can do anything, maybe go to LineageOS, but am I the only one who hates stock Android 12? I suppose there are better places for that.

Thanks again.
So you unlocked the bootloader on your Verizon Pixel 3 with that tool kit.

bmw9651

Jan 16, 2014
with the pixel 2 , you have to use fastboot and adb to gain access to unlock. my pixel 2 is a verizon and i have changed OS to early time. many times. i messed with it.

elkinm

Mar 29, 2013
No, the Pixel 3 that I unlocked is the Google Edition. The Pixel 2 is Verizon and even the toolkits said bootloader is permanently locked. There was one older build of the VZ pixel 2 that could be unlocked, but I am past and I don't think it will allow a downgrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have a verizon pixel 2 that i unlocked. you can google how to. I bought a google pixel 3 from google and can be unlocked. the pixel 2 can be unlocked use toolkit. toolkit will do the work for you.

For the Pixel 3 use Tool all in one. it will root phone for you.