Can i boot android from a external SD card

Search This thread

metafizik

Mar 28, 2014
Wilson, NC, US
I realize your post was from nearly a year ago but I currently have the need to be able to boot an old device from external SD as the internal is irreparably corrupted or for whatever reason is not usable or fixable. I have tried every method I know of to fix the internal storage with no success including flashing pit files and the correct samsung firmware. Fortunately I can boot into recovery and fastboot mode so I still have options(hopefully.)

In any case I have found 2 (very old) threads with potential solutions to this issue . I find it somewhat surprising there is not more development on this as a great many have found ourselves needing to do this. Even though booting from ext SD is not ideal it would at least keep someone operable that didn't have a fallback device until they can obtain a new device.

There is one thread where the OP managed to use adb shell and/or unix to format the external SD for an ASUS tablet(TF701t.) I am not sure if others successfully used his method on other devices. Regardless it is an enlightening thread and led me to the 2nd one below about a using custom TWRP that enables dual boot between internal and external SD. I am going to try method 2 in just a few minutes on an old Galaxy Note 4 (N910C) that died on me recently. I'm going to have to copy the nandroid backups that are on the extSD to a computer and then figure out how to get TWRP to use one of them to restore to the same media where they reside. Hopefully a closer reading of the 2 threads will reveal the answer.

1.) Format ext SD via ADB shell thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/transformer-tf701/help/dead-mmc-ideas-t2830332

2.) Custom Dual boot TWRP thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2684052

If anyone happens on this thread and has more information regarding booting from ext SD please share what you know.

Last edited:

cakraaaschanel

May 29, 2022
I realize your post was from nearly a year ago but I currently have the need to be able to boot an old device from external SD as the internal is irreparably corrupted or for whatever reason is not usable or fixable. I have tried every method I know of to fix the internal storage with no success including flashing pit files and the correct samsung firmware. Fortunately I can boot into recovery and fastboot mode so I still have options(hopefully.)

In any case I have found 2 (very old) threads with potential solutions to this issue . I find it somewhat surprising there is not more development on this as a great many have found ourselves needing to do this. Even though booting from ext SD is not ideal it would at least keep someone operable that didn't have a fallback device until they can obtain a new device.

There is one thread where the OP managed to use adb shell and/or unix to format the external SD for an ASUS tablet(TF701t.) I am not sure if others successfully used his method on other devices. Regardless it is an enlightening thread and led me to the 2nd one below about a using custom TWRP that enables dual boot between internal and external SD. I am going to try method 2 in just a few minutes on an old Galaxy Note 4 (N910C) that died on me recently. I'm going to have to copy the nandroid backups that are on the extSD to a computer and then figure out how to get TWRP to use one of them to restore to the same media where they reside. Hopefully a closer reading of the 2 threads will reveal the answer.

1.) Format ext SD via ADB shell thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/transformer-tf701/help/dead-mmc-ideas-t2830332

2.) Custom Dual boot TWRP thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2684052

If anyone happens on this thread and has more information regarding booting from ext SD please share what you know.
Well,I Will Try It Later,Beside My spare phone has broke (Redmi 2,It Can Be booted to fastboot,and recovery (unfortunately it need a adb to help it boot to twrp) the Chip Inside may be corrupted due to unsuccesful encryption)

Edit : I Will Update It By Editing this reply

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I need to boot android off a external SD card.is this possible if so can you pleae guide through it