• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Can I flash modem.bin via Twrp/without laptop

Search This thread

sunxutian

Jan 22, 2015
Hey looks like all weapons are available for OnePlus 9 pro(root, magisk, Twrp), I have a T-Mobile version but converted to EU, Only step I cannot do on my phone is to flash modem after OTA, just wondering can we do that via Twrp/without laptop?

razercortex

Apr 8, 2018
Flashing the modem is necessary to regain data since EU uses an incompatible modem that does not work with TMO.

Regarding flashing the modem, it could be done but as TWRP is kind of buggy, I don't think this is a good idea. It only really accepts .img and .zip files anyway. So to answer your question, no.

EDIT: I take that back, you could use the terminal and just dd the modem.bin to the modem partition.

sunxutian

Jan 22, 2015
Flashing the modem is necessary to regain data since EU uses an incompatible modem that does not work with TMO.

Regarding flashing the modem, it could be done but as TWRP is kind of buggy, I don't think this is a good idea. It only really accepts .img and .zip files anyway. So to answer your question, no.

EDIT: I take that back, you could use the terminal and just dd the modem.bin to the modem partition.
Ah nice, can you elaborate how to do it via terminal?

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
California
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not sure about T-Mobile but when flashing EU firmware for the Global/US model there is no need to do anything but flash the firmware itself. I'm running BA and have not flashed the modem. The same applies for my 7 Pro when I ran EU firmware.
Have you actually tried to get service?

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not sure about T-Mobile but when flashing EU firmware for the Global/US model there is no need to do anything but flash the firmware itself. I'm running BA and have not flashed the modem. The same applies for my 7 Pro when I ran EU firmware.
Have you actually tried to get service?
T-Mobile has a different baseband, and thus is needed. Your 2125 does not have the same issue so you don't need to. Why would you think people haven't tried to get service w/o a modem flash??

lendawg

Dec 31, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've done 2 OTA updates on my Tmobile 9 pro that is running the EU firmware and have not had to flash the modem.
Did you use the msm tool that doesn't require an unlocked bootloader? If you used this conversion method then you absolutely need to flash modem. It says so right in the op of the TMobile msm to EU thread. Also I've updated twice after using that method and absolutely had to flash TMobile modem to a and b partitions in order to have data.