can i install kodi 17.1 on 1st gen rooted fire tv 51.1.0.1

Search This thread

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
have rooted fire tv , never had a problem putting kodi on it , has 16.1 on it , want to put kodi 17.1 , tried adfire , ex file exp , downloader , ,can not get 17.1 on it ,wonder if my problem is because its 51 .1.0.1 ,never did take an update from amazon ,anyone have same problem

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Kodi 17 and up requires Android 5 minimum. Fire TV software version 51.1.0.1 is Fire OS 3, which is based on Android 4.2.2, so you will never be able to install anything newer than Kodi 16.1 unless you update to Fire OS 5.

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
.thought thats where my problem was , whats best way to update the fire tv , just un root it ? will it update on its own

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
.thought thats where my problem was , whats best way to update the fire tv , just un root it ? will it update on its own
Just update the recovery & PreRooted ROM.

Like I posted in another thread:

It all starts with the recovery...

(Make sure you install the right version 7 (aka v3.0.0-7) of TWRP depending on your locked or unlocked bootloader on FTV1's)

FTV1: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-twrp-custom-recovery-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-1/

FTV2: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-twrp-custom-recovery-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-2/

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root...covery-and-a-pre-rooted-rom-all-without-a-pc/

FTVS1: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-inst...d-an-initial-rom-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-stick-1/

Just make sure you follow the requirements. A good install of TWRP is key.

Last edited:

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
.tks for the info , thats looks a but tricky for me to do , can i just unroot fire box all will it update on its own so can put kodi 17.1 on it ? only use box for kodi , so dont care if it updates

bula1ca

Nov 18, 2014
.tks for the info , thats looks a but tricky for me to do , can i just unroot fire box all will it update on its own so can put kodi 17.1 on it ? only use box for kodi , so dont care if it updates

If you have a rooted image installed on this box it will not update without installing a non-rooted image first.
Now if you know how to do that then you should be able to follow info posted in previous post as well, keep root and upgrade to OS5.

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
how do i know if i have a rooted image installed my fire tv has towelroot and busybox and fire starter and kodi installed on the box , couldnt i just restore to factory default , and start fresh ?

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
how do i know if i have a rooted image installed my fire tv has towelroot and busybox and fire starter and kodi installed on the box , couldnt i just restore to factory default , and start fresh ?
If you have towelroot & buysbox & supersu then there is a 99.99% chance you are rooted. Going thru the requirements for the update is not hard at all if you take one step at a time. I guess I should write the addon notes I was thinking of writing regarding how to update from FireOS 3 to FireOS 5. I didn't think there where that many FireOS 3 FTV1 devices out there. But I a guess I am wrong.

I myself have 2 devices on FireOS 5 & 2 on FireOS 3 which I will probably be updating next week.

As long as you take one step at a time. It's not hard at all. Will try to post something this weekend regarding the updating. It will all be based on the FTV1 TWRP Guide from AFTVNews.

BTW, one trick I use to help me understand things is to look at guides for the FTV2 & FTVS2. They include some parts including pictures that apply to the FTV1. I used the FTV2 Xposed guide to install it on on my FTV1. Also old ancient guides from FireOS 3 days helped with stuff like reinstalling Busybox. You just got to be aware of the minor mods one must do for it to apply to your device.

Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
i keep reading about clockwork , i dont have that on my fire tv
ÇlockWorkMod or CWM for short is the old recovery that we installed on FireOS 3 when rooting. That has now been replaced with the much better/newer TWRP on FireOS 5.

After making sure you adhere with all the prerequisite/requirements in the guide. The first step is to change the recovery from CWM to TWRP. As long as you installed TWRP correctly. You can always reflash a PreRooted ROM on ur FTV. So it's THE critical step of the update. After I verified a good TWRP installation. I have reconfigured my AFTV1 dozens of times testing various things. Another key thing to remember is to never wipe System. Flashing a ROM will take care of System.

Last edited:

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
so ur saying i have clowkwork mod on my fire tv ?,more i read more confused i im , is there just a simple way i can unrooot my fire tv and let it update ,

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
well dont have usb keyboard and if i did try it is my fimeware for sec 1 where it says Section 1: Fire TV 1 on 51.1.6.3 or older , my firmware is lower than that , is older meant to mean higher or lower firmware , or do i go to sec 2 ? and still dont know about clock work , do i have to put it on my fire tv box 1st or is it already on there ? ,like i said have towelroot , busybox ,supersu, dont see clockwork on my fire tv

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
i keep reading about clockwork , i dont have that on my fire tv
If when you start your FTV1 you see the following:

boot-menu-guide-header.jpg

Then you definitely have CWM installed. If not there is still a chance that you do too.

To check this follow Steps 15-16 on this guide:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

If you see CWM on the top left hand side. Then you have CWM. Make sure you write down which version it is. Then just choose Reboot System Now with the keyboard arrows & enter button to reboot.

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
my fire tv jumps right to kodi as i have fire starter on it , never looks like the pic u have , got a usb keyboard from friend of mine , does nothing when i plug it into fire tv , try to get it to find bluetooth , i read Your Fire TV must have software/firmware version 51.1.5.0 or greater for it to connect to Bluetooth devices other than game controllers. if this is true my firmware is lower so keyboard wont work ,

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
my fire tv jumps right to kodi as i have fire starter on it , never looks like the pic u have , got a usb keyboard from friend of mine , does nothing when i plug it into fire tv , try to get it to find bluetooth , i read Your Fire TV must have software/firmware version 51.1.5.0 or greater for it to connect to Bluetooth devices other than game controllers. if this is true my firmware is lower so keyboard wont work ,
You would see the Boot Menu between the first white Amazon Logo & the more colorful Amazon Logo way before the FTV boots to Kodi. I guess your best bet is to boot into recovery & see which version loads up, stock vs. CWM. All the info you need is in the guide I linked to above.

Last edited:

oakrad

Apr 12, 2017
took a chance and did factory restore on my box , it updated and now have kodi 17 . 1 on it , not rooted anymore but dont mind , tks for all ur help .