• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Can I root this phone using Magisk and the stock boot.img?

Search This thread

electric bill

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Moto G7 Plus
Can I root without TWRP? I just need root and Magisk. I won't be installing any custom roms. Can I just download the stock image from lolinet and patch the boot.img using Magisk and then flash it using fastboot?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Can I root without TWRP? I just need root and Magisk. I won't be installing any custom roms. Can I just download the stock image from lolinet and patch the boot.img using Magisk and then flash it using fastboot?
Yes, just make sure the boot.img is from the same software channel and software version.

electric bill

Jun 24, 2011
Moto G7 Plus
Is LAKE the correct model? My phone says that the sw channel is retla and there is a file under that named XT1965-2_LAKE_RETLA_10_QPWS30.61-21-18-7_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-XT1965-2-SUTEL-DS_CFC.xml.zip. My phone shows model number XT1965-T and the build number is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-3. Do you think that is the correct file?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Is LAKE the correct model? My phone says that the sw channel is retla and there is a file under that named XT1965-2_LAKE_RETLA_10_QPWS30.61-21-18-7_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-XT1965-2-SUTEL-DS_CFC.xml.zip. My phone shows model number XT1965-T and the build number is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-3. Do you think that is the correct file?
XT-1965-2 should be RetLA
XT-1965-T should be T-Mobile
https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/lake/official/
Seems like I have seen posts like this before, but I'm not sure what the solution is.
You may have a T-Mobile model, with part of the RetLA firmware.
I would see what getvar all says
(Remove the IMEI before posting)
Code:
fastboot getvar all

hellomrwhite

Feb 14, 2020
Moto G7 Play
Google Pixel 4 XL
I have the REVVL from TMOBILE, which from my understanding, is basically the MOTO G7 PLAY XT1952-T. So would I be correct to assume that this root method mentioned in this post, would work just fine for my REVVL? I triple checked to make sure I have the correct firmware boot.img (CHANNEL), bootloader is unlocked, oem settings is unlocked but greyed out..... and everything with magisk is correct. I just seem to mess up the flashing process somehow when attempting to root my phone. thanks for any help in advance sorry if this isnt the right place to post this...

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I have the REVVL from TMOBILE, which from my understanding, is basically the MOTO G7 PLAY XT1952-T. So would I be correct to assume that this root method mentioned in this post, would work just fine for my REVVL? I triple checked to make sure I have the correct firmware boot.img (CHANNEL), bootloader is unlocked, oem settings is unlocked but greyed out..... and everything with magisk is correct. I just seem to mess up the flashing process somehow when attempting to root my phone. thanks for any help in advance sorry if this isnt the right place to post this...
Once the bootloader is unlocked, "oem unlock" should be greyed out, that's normal.

You are copying the boot.img to phone
Select Install/Install and Patch a File (with Magisk Manager)
Copy magisk_patched.img to PC
Flashing magisk_patched.img with
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
Reboot

Are you using the full file name for the patched img?

electric bill

Jun 24, 2011
Moto G7 Plus
XT-1965-2 should be RetLA
XT-1965-T should be T-Mobile
https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/lake/official/
Seems like I have seen posts like this before, but I'm not sure what the solution is.
You may have a T-Mobile model, with part of the RetLA firmware.
I would see what getvar all says
(Remove the IMEI before posting)
Code:
fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version-bootloader: MBM-3.0-lake_retail-xxxx
(bootloader) product: lake
(bootloader) board: lake
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) hwrev: PVT
(bootloader) radio: TMO

I downloaded the retla and retail channels and the boot.img is identical. It looks like my phone updated to QWPS30.61-21-18-7-8 sometime this week and there is a zip file with that name on lolinet. I'd say I'm good to go then if I get that one downloaded.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
If I need to return this phone to stock, can I just flash the stock boot.img and relock the bootloader?
You should not mess with "foreign" boot.img files from random packages, just grab your own from the externally booted TWRP and do "adb pull". Then you patch your own boot, and copy it to the boot partition in fastboot. Watch for A/B partitions!

This way you have your native boot.img patched, and nothing else. If need be, you return your stock boot to the boot partition, and proceed from there.

Here is an older guide for G6. The commands won't match, but you should get an idea of the required steps: