Can I safely upgrade my G1 to Android 2.1?

Search This thread

geora

Jul 5, 2010
I'm very new to Android (just got an HTC G1 with Android 1.6 from Craigs List) and I was wandering if there is a way to safely upgrade to Android 2.1.

I truly appreciate your help.

goldenarmZ

Oct 14, 2008
Sheffield
www.gzthemes.com
It's perfectly safe if you read and understand all the instructions before you do anything. If there's any part where you aren't 100% sure what you're doing and what the aim of it is, do more research before you press a single key. All the information is in the wiki here (link up top) and the wiki at cyanogenmod.com

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
One must realize that NOT ALL INSTRUCTIONS are correct. SOME instructions can brick your phone.

Using this is brick-proof: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717874

HOWEVER, your phone needs to be set up to work with it (the setup is safer for preparing for this than most others).

Installation of 1.33.2005 SPL aka "DEATHSPL" is the most dangerous step anyone puts in their instructions. The above link DOES NOT require 1.33.2005. It works with all SPLs, including all of the "perfectly safe" SPLs -- 0.95.x000 and 1.33.2003.

geora

Jul 5, 2010
Thank you for the great responses.

I read a couple of instructions and looks like I have a lot more learning to do before I can touch anything. For example there are terms like rooting, flashing and other terms that I have no idea where to start from.

Do you know of any video that shows all the process?

BuddhaTeh1337

Jun 8, 2010
phoenix

I read a couple of instructions and looks like I have a lot more learning to do before I can touch anything. For example there are terms like rooting, flashing and other terms that I have no idea where to start from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9l2XVG0iY
i cant verify the files, as i just used the wiki and understood from past flashing experience =]

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
And to add if you use this SPL.. and then decide that (after more reading debugging ect.) it would be easier to use dangerSPL; its a simple mater of using fastboot to flash 1.33.2005 and any future radios without the risks in most peoples instructions.

Information on 1.33.2003 is in CONFIRMED!! BRICKS: Radio and SPL + New SAFETY theory read a few pages around that post to ensure you understand what you are doing and what you want to install.

The important thing is to understand the importance of compatibility between radio->SPL->recovery if you want to flash these without (most) of the risk..

The other thing is to keep focused when flashing a bootloader (spl) and don't get side tracked, of start flashing other things since you last verified the state of your phone. If you can't do this best stick with what works now.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009

I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND videos.
The processes you need to follow are NOT CONDUCTIVE to being learned through videos and the PEOPLE who make the videos, by and large, are RETARDS.

raven_raven

Apr 13, 2010
Poznań
Unfortunately there isn't a safe method to update G1 to 2.1 ROM. You will have to change SPL and propably a radio and when doing this you can brick phone. However, there is no chance to brick phone other way. You can try to flash as many ROMs as you want, you can do what you want, there is always recovery when you can just wipe and flash a new ROM.

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Unfortunately there isn't a safe method to update G1 to 2.1 ROM. You will have to change SPL and propably a radio and when doing this you can brick phone.
1) while it may take more foot work you can flash a 2.1 rom without spl/radio changes

2) not safe well this depends.. is it safe to walk on a trail next to a cliff without a gaurd rail.. maybe not if you are blind but for most people it is... the problem is many people are blind in the android world.. and thus fall off the cliff.. frequently feeling they did everything correct without realizing they forgot the most important part..