• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Can I switch to Verizon with this phone?

Search This thread

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
We're not talking about converting the LE2127 though, just using it on Verizon. The only info I saw regarding flashing the modem on the LE2127 was after converting it to the EU 2123, not to the LE2125, but since I've never had to do this, I definitely don't have all the info.
Yes, you have to flash the tmo modem on all conversion targets, otherwise I would've made the conversion target the NA variant.

We are taking about how the devices are similar but but not the same, and I'm pointing out how it's different.

OnePlus officially support 2125 for use on vzw. OnePlus does not for 2127. There are radio differences, so OP might not be able to get it to work, but he can try.

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
California
OnePlus 9 Pro
Would I have to flash the modem?
No.
The only support you probably won't have for Verizon is mmW 5G.
Flashing the 2125 modem won't give you that. Unless Oneplus included the antennae (which they didn't) the modem flash is useless.
An unlocked 2127 should work fine on Verizon. All Global and T-Mobile 9/9 Pro should work on Verizon and be whitelisted in the database.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys. I have a LE2125, and I'm using verizon. It works great. Better than it did on t-mobile (Data speed and coverage-wise. Your area may vary). Only issue is there is no VoWifi or VoLTE. Service area and data speeds are great. 5G works. LTE works. LTE+ works. Calls and texts work.
    Perhaps this will explain it better. There's a reason VZW isn't selling the OP9s. VZW has invested heavily in c-band while T-Mobile is utilizing the low sub 6. The OP9 doesn't have the c- band capabilities since most of the world is doing mm UW and sub 6.too tired to go any further. Most people on VZW had to shut 5g off because of the latency issues.

Are you in a metro area by any chance?
    No, I am way out in a pretty rural area in NY
    Lucky you. I grew up in the Hudson Valley. Now in Florida since 97. Hate it. Wish I was in Rochester. Too many people in Florida. I'm jealous
    Perhaps this will explain it better. There's a reason VZW isn't selling the OP9s. VZW has invested heavily in c-band while T-Mobile is utilizing the low sub 6. The OP9 doesn't have the c- band capabilities since most of the world is doing mm UW and sub 6.too tired to go any further. Most people on VZW had to shut 5g off because of the latency issues. If VZW does indeed sell the Op9 pro it will be c band compatible but will be more expensive to produce. Again I didn't switch to TMobile because VZW did something wrong. I switched because if I'm going to buy a 5g phone in 2021 I want it to work in 5g now not in 2022. VZW is late to the game in true 5G. And they had a net loss of subscribers because of this. Personally I do not like tmo. I don't like their CEO especially so im not knocking VZW.

Your post still had no basis in reality whatsoever. I don't give 2 ****s about Verizon, I'm not trying to defend them. I'm just saying you're spreading completely false information.

Here, I'll break it down:

Verizon sold their towers and T-Mobile bought them? That's... just not accurate at all. Are you talking about this?

Verizon leased their towers to a 3rd party company who then sublets the towers. You DO realize that each cell tower holds multiple carriers, right?

Every carrier has good and bad spots. Where I live, T-Mobile has been on par with Verizon for years. In other areas Verizon sucks. Some areas T-Mobile can't get signal at all.

Service and customer service.

T-Mobile has been leading customer service metrics for like a decade now. They've actually been going a little downhill since the Sprint takeover, but T-Mobile has been the gold standard for YEARS.

VZW has already admitted that their 5g is a combination of 4G and 5G.

"admitted". So is T-Mobile in a bunch of areas. And AT&T. Also, you're thinking of SA and NSA (standalone and non-standalone), not NR. NR (New Radio) allows for SA and NSA, and it's a Qualcomm thing, not a Verizon or T-Mobile thing.

5G is just a marketing tool

I'm not even touching this. This is pure fantasy.

The consumers get the short end of the stick and the lawmakers allow the FCC to change the definition of what 5G speeds are.

Lawmakers and the FCC don't change "definitions" of "5G speeds". Nobody does. 5G isn't determined by speed at all. 5th Generation connectivity. It's how phones connect to the towers, not what speeds they run at. If you're getting 1mb/s on a 5G tower, does that mean you're on 3G? OF COURSE NOT. Just like if you're connecting at 200mb/s on LTE, that doesn't make you "5G".

Also while your phone will work on VZW it will not have the correct radio in it to truly take advantage of 5G.

I really don't think you read the article you linked. The only thing the OP 9 and 9 Pro lacks is wifi calling on Verizon. MAYBE you're trying to say the 9 won't connect to MM-Wave while the Pro can, but it's like that on every carrier. The 9 won't connect to T-Mobile's MM-Wave either. Now, the article DOES mention that the 9Pro won't SAY it's on MMWave, because it's missing the ICON. The Icon.

Insiders tell me that OnePlus could fix this by adding a Verizon "icon pack" to its firmware. I've asked OnePlus for comment and I'll update this when I hear back. The phones also don't work with Verizon's Wi-Fi calling feature. There's just no option to turn it on. Verizon tells me there is no plan to add that, at least for now. I've also asked OnePlus about that.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're trying to get at here. But it's all FUD.

Now, as to your last post:

There's a reason VZW isn't selling the OP9s.

Yeah, they sold one model and it FLOPPED. Nobody was buying it, so they chose not to have it take up space on their shelves. They still support every model since the 6T on their network.

VZW has invested heavily in c-band while T-Mobile is utilizing the low sub 6. The OP9 doesn't have the c- band capabilities since most of the world is doing mm UW and sub 6.too tired to go any further.

The C-Band auction literally ended what, 3 months ago? Verizon and T-Mobile don't even plan on rolling it out until late 2022. Why would they sell phones with it NOW? Also, the "rest of the world"? The EU hasn't rolled out MMWave yet, as they just ended the first rounds of spectrum auctions. MOST countries barely have any 5G, if any. And that's fine, because 5G is mainly about capacity, not speed. And they don't need the capacity right now, LTE-A is working fine for them.

Also, you're confusing C-Band with the existing mid-band spectrum that T-Mobile acquired from Sprint, which is used on band 41 and is known as the "faster" 5G (though still slower than MMWave). T-Mobile's low band 5G isn't about speed either, it's about capacity. You're lucky to get over 75mb/s with their low band stuff. Just like Verizon. Go figure. The lower bands have slower speed and reach further, that's just how physics work.

Most people on VZW had to shut 5g off because of the latency issues. If VZW does indeed sell the Op9 pro it will be c band compatible but will be more expensive to produce.

Again, NO carrier has C-Band deployed right now, and won't be deployed in any large scale for at least a year. Why would they make a 9 Pro with it later on when it will be at least TWO models behind? (The 9T and the 10, possibly the 10T as well)

I switched because if I'm going to buy a 5g phone in 2021 I want it to work in 5g now not in 2022.

Uhhh, ok. Despite Verizon's 5G speed sucking, and MMWave not being anywhere CLOSE to ready for prime time, it still WORKS. Again, I don't think you understand that there's a separation between 5G and speeds.

they had a net loss of subscribers because of this.

Verizon has been losing customers to T-Mobile for years now. It doesn't have anything to do with 5G, it's about being priced out of the budget market. They want to focus on ARPU vs number of lines, while T-Mobile took the opposite approach, hence them giving out free lines right before every earnings report.