• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can my htc U11 (Sprint) use GSM by switching the SIM card?

Search This thread

Jeff in 92833

Oct 24, 2013
Fullerton
My telephone service provider (Tello), an MVNO that started with Sprint BYOD phones, is requiring me to switch to GSM.

Their customer support chat guy insists that, because their system allowed me to order a new SIM, it means that my phone (which is registered by IMEA on their system) can work as a GSM phone.

This seems... very unlikely. Even htc's web site for the U11 (https://www.htc.com/us/support/?&family=1&product=2) differentiates between their U11 and their Sprint variant.

So... am I right that the U11 does not carry both GSM and CDMA radios and that I have to get a new phone?

Thanks in advance for what may have been a very silly question.

Jeff

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
Check your phone's "About" settings. If you see a MEID or an ESN category, your phone requires CDMA; if you see an IMEI category, your phone is GSM. If you see both (e.g., Verizon phones), your phone supports both CDMA and GSM, and may use either network.

Jeff in 92833

Oct 24, 2013
Fullerton
Check your phone's "About" settings. If you see a MEID or an ESN category, your phone requires CDMA; if you see an IMEI category, your phone is GSM. If you see both (e.g., Verizon phones), your phone supports both CDMA and GSM, and may use either network.

Interesting. My U11 has both an MEID number and an IMEI number (plus an IMEI SV entry that is '0').

I wish I'd had the foresight to ask this question before I spent hundreds of dollars on a replacement phone that will takes its sweet time getting here.