• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can someone explain me what is it S-ON?

Search This thread

mike998

Aug 11, 2010
Ottawa
The HTC Legend, when rooted using the usual methods doesn't really have access to the System partition.
In order to have access to this, you have to have a "S-OFF" or "Security-Off" Phone.

mike998

Aug 11, 2010
Ottawa
Personally, I haven't found any benefits to being S-OFF.

I've found that using the Clockwork Recovery doesn't work sometimes and it's handy to have a PC handy just in case...

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2010
entropicamente.net
With s-off you can edit files in the /system partition without the need of switching to recovery, but i don't think that it is a functionality needed by many people.
If you have s-off you can also flash a recovery, therefore you won't need anymore to use fake-flash for booting in clockworkmod.

alexhtclegend

Jul 23, 2010
On some rooting guides for phones like the DHD it says you need to be S-OFF to flash a custom ROM. How come we've been doing this on our S-ON Legends? I don't understand how being S-OFF is any different than S-ON for a Legend user?

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick here...

EDIT: Something to do with ROMs having to be signed by HTC, but none of the custom roms for Legend have to be used on an S-OFF phone despite not being signed by HTC?

Last edited:

marclh1992

Jun 30, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
S-OFF unlocks the bootloader, you can install basically anything on any partition on the phone. This lets us install a custom recovery in the recovery partition. It also allows to boot custom kernels without flashing them (I believe)

Rooting with S-ON just allows you to boot a custom ROM with root access and no read/write capabilities in the /system partition (unless you have aufs)

mike998

Aug 11, 2010
Ottawa
S-OFF unlocks the bootloader, you can install basically anything on any partition on the phone. This lets us install a custom recovery in the recovery partition. It also allows to boot custom kernels without flashing them (I believe)

Rooting with S-ON just allows you to boot a custom ROM with root access and no read/write capabilities in the /system partition (unless you have aufs)

You can flash custom Kernels without being S-OFF. Done it myself many, many times. You don't need to be S-OFF to flash kernels.

S-ON as you said, gives read/write access to the /system partition while the phone is running. Unless you're looking at theming the phone yourself, or you want to access the /system and /recovery partitions it's not really required.

As I mentioned previously, I can get into recovery via Clockwork, but it's spotty, and I don't really like the idea of flashing a new ROM if I'm not near a PC that can drop me into Recovery. Rambo, I am not!

S-on means that there is the default protection that prevents you to write to /system and /recovery partitions. If you want more information you can visit alpharev site: http://alpharev.nl

Hats off to entropicamente for posting the above - it's THE best place to go. I would warn that if you're a Bell Legend user, the download there will not work. There's a download on this forum for the .iso to S-OFF your phone.

Ultimately, with the number of "What benefits does this give me?" questions, it should probably be avoided for now.:D

Meocene

Nov 15, 2010
With s-off you can edit files in the /system partition without the need of switching to recovery, but i don't think that it is a functionality needed by many people.
If you have s-off you can also flash a recovery, therefore you won't need anymore to use fake-flash for booting in clockworkmod.
probably wrong, but i don't think i am using fake flash...

my legend's s-on, but to get to clockworkmod i just boot in through rom manager...

(guessing someone's about to tell me that that is fake flash...)

EDIT: missed marclh1992's post.
so in other words i'd be able to replace the stock htc recovery (accessed holding back+power) with clockworkmod, for example?

Last edited: