• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can the Google Store Pixel 5 bootloader be unlocked?

Search This thread

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Um... kinda wish you'd said some of this earlier. Would've saved a lot of aggro. My error on the MSRP - $699 is correct.

Why not spend the extra $100? Maybe I'm maxxed at $600?

(Rant: It's amusing to see so many people on forums, etc. freely spend other people's money. "Jeeze, another $1000, and you'd have a really fast Bloviater 1500 not the POS you have!" End of rant)

Return on this sale is 30 days - see auction content.

The BL in this P5 is unlockable. Period. No OEM Unlock, no unlockable BL.

Re: SKU, etc. Please re-read the thread. I've trying to get the SKU, etc. to confirm yes or not on unlocking the the BL. Answer: no determinable. IMEI would, at best, suggest the devices history, and is otherwise AFAIK irrelevant re BL questions.

The whole project hinges on moving from a fully rooted Samsung S7, into a device running V10 or 11 for support for managing hearing aids. Namely mine.

I use Titanium, FX, GSAM Battery Monitor on a regular basis. All require rooting.

My new hearing aids finally showed up, and I don't have a phone to spec to fully control them (S7 runs V7, not a showball's chance in Hades for V10). 'Scuse me while I get mildly grumpy.

ADDED: BT5.0 with ASHA protocol isn't available until V10.

Last edited:

l7777

May 2, 2007
Buy from a retailer at full price... I walk into BestBuy, plunk $799 down and... paperweight. BB P5's BL's are unlockable. Walk into another store (name one) and say "gee, can I put you demo in Developer Mode to see if OEM Unlock is awake." My guess is the door can't open fast enough for how fast I'll be moving when they toss me out of the store. I can't think of a retailer who isn't also repping one or more carriers. See BB above for an example.

I haven't the least idea of how any P5's BL is unlockable. Obviously they exist. I've spent far, far too much time trying to find a simple "go here, buy this" answer.
The simple answer has been posted. Buy from the Google store and don't select the Verizon version. I also purchased from Amazon and unlocked the BL immediately upon receipt.
@xunholyxOne last thing. I don't think you can return a device after 15 days no matter where you buy it. Well I do know Google has a 15 day window and Verizon the same but I'm not sure about BB or 3rd party. I can't imagine you can return a phone within 90 days but I could be wrong on that one too.
I purchased from Amazon when they were $649 on 11-22. Had until Jan 31 to return. BL Unlocked immediately upon receipt.
Um... kinda wish you'd said some of this earlier. Would've saved a lot of aggro. My error on the MSRP - $699 is correct.

Why not spend the extra $100? Maybe I'm maxxed at $600?

(Rant: It's amusing to see so many people on forums, etc. freely spend other people's money. "Jeeze, another $1000, and you'd have a really fast Bloviater 1500 not the POS you have!" End of rant)

Return on this sale is 30 days - see auction content.

The BL in this P5 is unlockable. Period. No OEM Unlock, no unlockable BL.

Re: SKU, etc. Please re-read the thread. I've trying to get the SKU, etc. to confirm yes or not on unlocking the the BL. Answer: no determinable. IMEI would, at best, suggest the devices history, and is otherwise AFAIK irrelevant re BL questions.

The whole project hinges on moving from a fully rooted Samsung S7, into a device running V10 or 11 for support for managing hearing aids. Namely mine.

I use Titanium, FX, GSAM Battery Monitor on a regular basis. All require rooting.

My new hearing aids finally showed up, and I don't have a phone to spec to fully control them (S7 runs V7, not a showball's chance in Hades for V10). 'Scuse me while I get mildly grumpy.
It sounds like you can return the device you have and try again. Good luck! One other note, Titanium Backup has effectively been abandoned by the developer. It was last updated in November of 2019 and to my knowledge no longer works properly on the P5. It will be able to restore existing backups but cannot make proper backups.

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
I have the shipping label and packing slip for the P5. Effectively done deal on the return.

Amazon: several options including refurbs. All say "unlocked for all carriers". Fine. None hint at "OEM Unlock" works. This looks like rolling dice and hoping for sevens. Rolled the bones once and came up snake eyes. All things equal, once is once too often. So... certainty of hitting an unlockable BL...?

For those wanting amusement, check the "other sellers list". Why anyone thinks they'll sell at $200-$300+ above list escapes me.

The current plan B is a 4XL that's specifically marked as having a functioning OEM Unlock. Unfortunately, the listing says mostly 4XL, but says 3XL in one item description. No reply, to date, from seller.

- - - - - -

Titanium... very weird to see Nov. '19 because, periodically, I find it asking again for root permission. Why that happens when the last update went out a year and half ago... [/ scratches head]

OK, what has most of the same functionality? Namely, killing off bloatware, freezing some apps prior to removal. On the S7, I've restored a few "oops" moments. I'm guessing that Ti doesn't survive much past V7, which is certainly plausable.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
@l7777 Yeah I wasn't sure about other vendors return policy. I've only bought from Google and VZW and they are both 15 days no exceptions. That's good to know though. Did you get lucky on your Amazon purchase or did you know it would be bl unlockable?

@RBEmerson I didn't mean to suggest so I'm sorry. Didn't think the extra C note would be an issue, my mistake. What is your SKU I'm curious. You have the box right? Heck, it doesn't really matter since you're returning it. There is not much bloat on the P5s but there is some. Well good luck, see if you can get a guarantee or a screen shot before purchase that the OEM is active.

l7777

May 2, 2007
@l7777 Yeah I wasn't sure about other vendors return policy. I've only bought from Google and VZW and they are both 15 days no exceptions. That's good to know though. Did you get lucky on your Amazon purchase or did you know it would be bl unlockable?
Assumed it would be. The Amazon listing was not connected to any carrier and was the same price as the Google store at the time. Was also free to return if it didn't work. Now that you mention it the return window might have been because it was in the Christmas return window. This is the listing.

For reference the SKU on mine is GA01316-US

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Assumed it would be. The Amazon listing was not connected to any carrier and was the same price as the Google store at the time. Was also free to return if it didn't work. Now that you mention it the return window might have been because it was in the Christmas return window. This is the listing.

For reference the SKU on mine is GA01316-US
You're right it was a holiday return offer. Now it's 30 days, unopened returns whatever that means. What if you break the seal on the box? Ahh.. the fine print. Buy the way that it is listed it's pretty obvious that you could unlock it.

I'd love to know why the SKU are so different. I wonder if that would give a clue as to where it was bought and which version you'd get. As I said, my VZW one is GA01956 and the Google one is GA01986. I mean that's not even close to 1316.

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
The audiologist loaded up three different audio profiles (for anyone who cares -"normal", "really noisy room", and "music-specific"), which should be a good starting point. I still need to get Oticon's Open ON up and running. Going on about this... I recommend digging around for info on the Oticon More device. The processing to support a deep neural network is astounding. The More uses, in the device, a DNN to manage sound. Enough.

OK, the morning caffeine has worn off.

The present P5 goes back. The OEM Unlock issue is a dead letter, keeping this P5... it's effectively a paperweight. FWIW the SKU is GA01955-US - not the same as I7777's P5. It doesn't quite match bobby janow's P5. NTL, list it as one of the "forget it" P5's.

Do I take the "possible" from Amazon, and hope I've picked a winner? There just doesn't seem to be, outside of actually seeing the Developer section, a way to be sure of a win. (ADDED: Caramba! Listed as in the warehouse on 30 March, delivery some time in April. Caramba!)

The (possibly) 4XL seller... crickets, nothing but crickets.

l7777

May 2, 2007
Do I take the "possible" from Amazon, and hope I've picked a winner? There just doesn't seem to be, outside of actually seeing the Developer section, a way to be sure of a win. (ADDED: Caramba! Listed as in the warehouse on 30 March, delivery some time in April. Caramba!)
If you're willing to order the Amazon one but worried it might not be able to BL unlock, why not simply get it from the Google store? Same price, financing available if you do that kind of thing, guaranteed BL unlock. Personally I ordered from Amazon to get the 5% cash back through the Amazon branded Visa.

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
I'm looking at the Amazon refurbed P5. I hate it when Amazon does that "we have this great thing, but you can't buy it yet" nonsense. This time, release date 30 Mar., delivery shortly before **** freezes over. Basta!

Add anybody's plastic to my collection for a single sale? Thank you, no.

l7777

May 2, 2007
I'm looking at the Amazon refurbed P5. I hate it when Amazon does that "we have this great thing, but you can't buy it yet" nonsense. This time, release date 30 Mar., delivery shortly before **** freezes over. Basta!

Add anybody's plastic to my collection for a single sale? Thank you, no.
Got ya.

We buy too much from Amazon already so the card effectively reduces all our Amazon purchases by 5%. Getting the P5 from there was just another thing. Fun detail, the card for Amazon prime customers is actually a metallic card. :eek:

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Amazon... don't start me.

Sample: There's a Prime "last mile" center near here. Not fun to be near it when the Sprinter fleet breaks out for the day's deliveries. Worse than getting stuck at a train crossing. >: (

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The box's SKU's GAO1955-US doesn't match what's listed on eBay (GAO1355-US). Google searches don't come up with a hint of an idea about the pedigree.

Sigh... there's a possibility this is a VZW phone, or maybe TM.

There's no sign of any branded apps, only Google apps. IIRC even an FDR doesn't make VZW apps disappear. At least not when I rooted the S7 (yea for Titanium doing the job!).

The immediate challenge is to run down whose phone this is. I suppose I can take it to T-Mobile in hopes a) it's a TM phone and b) they'll unlock the bootloader. AFAIK, short of taking someone hostage at gunpoint, VZW doesn't want to discuss the idea, let alone do it.

I still think there should be a way to positively identify if unlocking is a possibility.

About the eBay listing, look for item 284112075311

It doesn't take much thinking to find the seller's phone number. Which I called. Whoever answered the phone hasn't visited the clue store in many, many years.
    The listing specifically says Verizon - TMobile. They also have a return policy if you bought it within 30 days. You might want to take advantage of that.
    I've posted the question: "Can the Google Store Pixel 5 bootloader be unlocked?" in rooting threads and gotten no reply.

The model number is the GD1YQ
    Go to this website and enter your IMEI. It will tell you if it's a Verizon branded phone or not.
    The sim has nothing to do with the ability to unlock the bootloader. If you buy a Verizon device I don't care what sim you put in or if you never put in a sim, you can't unlock the bootloader. I always buy Google devices and before I turn it on I put in my Verizon sim. OEM unlock is always active.. always! If you want flawless ability to unlock and root never buy a carrier branded device. Some make you wait until you pay off the device, some make you wait 30 or 60 days, and some like Verizon don't care what you do they'll never allow unlock.

So if you're worried then flip the OEM unlock switch and put in your sim and enjoy the device. I'm not sure what you're waiting for.
    A) My P5 isn't tied to VZW, or anyone else. B) OEM unlock isn't active (greyed out) & no response to touches - USB Debugging is active, and set to ON. Whether OEM unlocking is active hinges on the bootloader being unlocked. Bootloader locked, no OEM unlocking, no rooting.

My current phone (Sammy S7) is rooted, and it's an ex-VZW device, with a locked bootloader. I don't remember how getting past the locked bootloader happened, but... SuperSU, RootChecker, FX, Titanium are alive and running as su. My hope is the same magic applies to the P5, but it doesn't look as though it does. Sigh...
    Your P5 is tied to something whether you know it or not. If you didn't buy it from Google, Fi, or another company as unlocked then it's tied to a carrier. Whether OEM unlocking is active has absolutely nothing to do with the bootloader being unlocked other than allowing it to be so. You've got it backwards, you're basically putting the cart before the horse. You cannot unlock the bootloader if the OEM is grayed out. If the bootloader is unlocked at some point the switch was active and the bl unlocked in fastboot. Just curious, where did you get the device from? If you bought it 3rd party someone sold you a bill of goods. If you got it from Google and the switch is not active then return it for a replacement.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the S7. I do believe there was/is a way to bypass the security and get into download mode or something of the sort but I just don't know.
    See below for the reason why OEM Unlock has to be available before unlocking the bootloader.
    Or...
    Catch-22: Need an unlocked bootloader to get OEM unlock, need OEM Unlock to unlock the bootloader.

That the OEM Unlock option is greyed out means no OEM Unlock, period.

And that's what I'm trying to sort out.

[Guide] Root Pixel 5 XL Android 11 (R)

The same requirement appears in

[Tutorial] Unlock Bootloader, get root and valid Safetynet

That's not a catch-22. The first part of your statement and the guide is correct. You need to be able to toggle the OEM switch in order to perform the bootloader unlock. As far as the bootloader being unlocked first, that's false. It needs to be unlockable. The OEM toggle is the gateway to unlocking the bootloader. The carriers block access to that gateway. Verizon is permanent. Other carriers I believe can be temporary after a period of time. I don't know because I've never bought a carrier phone.