Question Can the P11 Plus be rooted?

Search This thread

SpectreCular

Dec 28, 2020
I have the P11 Plus J616F model and cannot get the device to unlock after many attempts with wiping device reinstalling firmware reinstalling device drivers. Does failed (unknown status code) after (bootloader) sysytem-fingerprint:Lenovo/TB-J616F/TB-J616F:12/SP1A.210812.0 mean anything to anyone. I can adb reboot recovery, from recovery I can use the keys to choose fastboot and tab goes into fastbootd and fastboot devices returns my device fashboot flashing unlock starts but ends with the failed message above. fastboot getvar all returns a bunch of information about the device but also stops with same failed message. If I choose reboot bootloader using the keys on my tab while in fastbootd tab reboots to FASTBOOT... shows up in device manager as you would expect but typing fastboot flashing unlock returns waiting for device. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What's your build number (Settings > About tablet > Build number)?
Because there was a recent security update, meaning TB-J616F_S240138_221026_ROW won't work if that OTA update went through. In this case, you could try finding and using the newer stock ROM, but I don't know if maybe they patched this or not which is why I've disabled OTA updates and am hesitant to update until someone else can confirm it works for them

straightcore

Sep 21, 2013
Liberec
Lenovo P11
Nothing Phone (2a)
What's your build number (Settings > About tablet > Build number)?
Because there was a recent security update, meaning TB-J616F_S240138_221026_ROW won't work if that OTA update went through. In this case, you could try finding and using the newer stock ROM, but I don't know if maybe they patched this or not which is why I've disabled OTA updates and am hesitant to update until someone else can confirm it works for them
TB_J616X_S240155_230210_ROW

Same as the J616F, the X only has an extra LTE module.

straightcore

Sep 21, 2013
Liberec
Lenovo P11
Nothing Phone (2a)
Likely if the hardware is any different, then the firmware will also be slightly different. Can't confirm or deny if any other firmware will work, especially one with security updates. You can try it using different firmwares, but your mileage may vary
This is J616X with firmware for J616F "TB_J616F_S240155_230210_ROW", only LTE support is missing, otherwise they are identical in hardware.
I doubt that lenovo will develop and produce two different versions of the same model series, just because of the LTE slot, I think they both have them, only the J616F has a different drawer without the possibility to insert a sim card.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318-201223.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-201223.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230318-201242.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-201242.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

straightcore

Sep 21, 2013
Liberec
Lenovo P11
Nothing Phone (2a)
This is J616X with firmware for J616F "TB_J616F_S240155_230210_ROW", only LTE support is missing, otherwise they are identical in hardware.
I doubt that lenovo will develop and produce two different versions of the same model series, just because of the LTE slot, I think they both have them, only the J616F has a different drawer without the possibility to insert a sim card.
So yes, I can confirm that both HW and SW devices are the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318-203446.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-203446.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230318-203508.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-203508.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 16

AliasGprime

Dec 14, 2018
Hello, I've been trying to root this tablet of my own (J616F) but I can't get over the first step of unlocking the bootloader. In Fastboot Mode, it doesn't correctly connect to my computer. I've tried many drivers, USB cable, USB Port, even on another computer, without success. While the tablet is connected to my PC, it just loop connect/disconnect over and over again. I can hear the connection sound, that windows make, every 10 seconds or so, and the device manager refresh itself (like a new device has been connected to) at the same pace. Anybody could help me out? That would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

nexuspb

Jul 9, 2014
Hello, I've been trying to root this tablet of my own (J616F) but I can't get over the first step of unlocking the bootloader. In Fastboot Mode, it doesn't correctly connect to my computer. I've tried many drivers, USB cable, USB Port, even on another computer, without success. While the tablet is connected to my PC, it just loop connect/disconnect over and over again. I can hear the connection sound, that windows make, every 10 seconds or so, and the device manager refresh itself (like a new device has been connected to) at the same pace. Anybody could help me out? That would be very much appreciated.
Try a usb 2.0 port

AliasGprime

Dec 14, 2018
I used
to root and install rom gsi
no problem
This one changed something. Now the tablet is recognized as a ADB device in windows devices manager. But, the command "adb devices" doesn't detect anything. When I enter the fastboot command to unlock, it's just "waiting for device".

13didounet

Dec 9, 2021
Lenovo P11
Put your smartphone in developer mode, in the settings press 7 times on the build number
- In the menu Options for developers that appeared, you must enable OEM unlocking, enable USB debugging
- Connect the smartphone to the computer, accept the requested authorization on your smartphone
- In the platform-tools folder enter the command
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flashing unlock Press VOL+ to confirm
fastboot flashing unlock_critical Press VOL+ to confirm
fastboot reboot

Unlock Bootloader
Now you can root your device

Last edited:

AliasGprime

Dec 14, 2018
Put your smartphone in developer mode, in the settings press 7 times on the build number
- In the menu Options for developers that appeared, you must enable OEM unlocking, enable USB debugging
- Connect the smartphone to the computer, accept the requested authorization on your smartphone
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flashing unlock Press VOL+ to confirm
fastboot flashing unlock_critical Press VOL+ to confirm
fastboot reboot

Unlock Bootloader
Now you can root your device
(Sorry for the delay, been busy recently) That still doesn't work. ADB leave me on "< waiting for device >" at flashing unlock.

AliasGprime

Dec 14, 2018
what is the version of windows

Type adb devices and hit Enter. You should now see a list of attached devices, with serial numbers. This shows that it is working and your phone is connected
Windows 11. But I also tried on my laptop which is Windows 10.

When I am on the android OS, adb devices return the devices correctly and my tablet is there. But when I am on bootloader/fastboot mode, adb devices doesn't show me anything. Although, Windows device manager do see an adb compatible device connected.

13didounet

Dec 9, 2021
Lenovo P11

When I am on the android OS, adb devices return the devices correctly and my tablet is there. But when I am on bootloader/fastboot mode, adb devices doesn't show me anything. Although, Windows device manager do see an adb compatible device connected.
adb reboot bootloader
fasboot devices

I've been following this thread for a bit, but I managed to get a TB-J616F rooted with Magisk. I just patched the boot .img from the stock rom in magisk, then flashed it in fastboot mode from a linux terminal (ubuntu laptop PC). It was root & working great until this System Update notification kept bugging me to ota update for "TB-J616F_S240138_221026_ROW_to_TB-J616F_S240155_230210_ROW". I tried to let it do it's thing and update, it failed a few times. I uninstalled Magisk (unrooted it) and it still won't do the OTA update. That's where I'm at now. Lol. Will see how it goes..

I also used the same rooting method but from Android to Android, phone -> tablet & vice versa. You just need another device with root, and a USB-C cable with 2 male ends or a OTG adaptor. You can do the same ADB and Fastboot commands in Termux, or use this app I tried which makes things a lot easier. Pretty neat, https://github.com/nikita-yfh/android-adb-tools

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've successfully rooted my Lenovo P11 Plus (J616F) tablet via the latest stock rom + Magisk 25.2, and it was much more painless than I'd thought it'd be. But I can't figure out how to get TWRP or any other custom recovery, and I'd be happy to hear if anyone has had any success with it...
    I also want to root this device but I am waiting for their Android 12 update. Is anyone running Android 12 ?
    Yes...

1.) Install USB drivers (I used this to detect fastboot mode: https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/usb-drivers/)
    >> NOTE: With your tablet in fastboot mode, you might have to go into device manager and manually update the drivers for your "unknown android device", pointing it to the usb drivers from the previous step)
    2.) Install the lastest ADB and Fastboot software
    3.) Unlock your bootloader!
    3a.) Enable developer options -> Enable OEM unlocking
    3b.) Enter fastboot mode (turn tablet off then hold power + volume up until just after it vibrates)
    3c.) With your device connected to your PC, type fastboot flashing unlock in command prompt
    4.) Look for the current latest stock rom TB-J616F_S240138_221026_ROW_SVC.ZIP
    5.) Extract it somewhere on your PC, and copy boot.img to somewhere on your device
    6.) Install Magisk v25.2 on your device
    7.) Follow the rest of the installation instructions here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html

If all went well, after rebooting you might get a warning about your device being in "Orange State" and therefore cannot be trusted because the bootloader was unlocked... This is normal, and your instinct might be to run the command fastboot flashing lock to get rid of it, but THS IS A BAD IDEA because it could place your device into a "Red State" requiring you to unlock it again, effectively wiping your device
    Alright well I decided to take the time to check Redbox, and it works (or at least the Watch Free feature does)... And I don't have a prime account, but the prime video app makes it to the sign in screen, if that helps
    Good!
    I will make a backup on mine (I have Yoga 11 and practically they're the same) and unlock the bootloader and root it.
    The reason why I root it so I can do adb on other device without laptop.
    Actually, I have a lot of experience to root variety of machines, but what happened on Edge 2021 A12 puts me on hold on other Moto/Lenovo
    I have Netflix and cable apps (Sling and Philo) and Discovery+.
    I've been following this thread for a bit, but I managed to get a TB-J616F rooted with Magisk. I just patched the boot .img from the stock rom in magisk, then flashed it in fastboot mode from a linux terminal (ubuntu laptop PC). It was root & working great until this System Update notification kept bugging me to ota update for "TB-J616F_S240138_221026_ROW_to_TB-J616F_S240155_230210_ROW". I tried to let it do it's thing and update, it failed a few times. I uninstalled Magisk (unrooted it) and it still won't do the OTA update. That's where I'm at now. Lol. Will see how it goes..

I also used the same rooting method but from Android to Android, phone -> tablet & vice versa. You just need another device with root, and a USB-C cable with 2 male ends or a OTG adaptor. You can do the same ADB and Fastboot commands in Termux, or use this app I tried which makes things a lot easier. Pretty neat, https://github.com/nikita-yfh/android-adb-tools

Hey that pretty clever, I didn't thought about that. Thanks to you now, I unlocked the bootloader with my phone. Now I need to find the right firmware file. Is TB-J616F_S240155_230210_ROW the last one?

EDIT: Never mind, I took the lenovo software "rescue and smart assistant" and downloaded the last firmware, now my tablet is rooted. Thanks to you!