• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Can we get Verizon Visual Voicemail on the US996?

Search This thread

baldybill

Aug 8, 2010
I have a US996 on Verizon. I installed the Google Dialer (which has the visual voicemail on the Nexus phones), but it doesn't give me the visual voicemail tab. I can't seem to find the apk for Verizon's own Visual Voicemail app, nor do I know if it will work.

Has anyone gotten any visual voicemail to work on the US996?

Thanks!

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
It is possible to get WiFi calling, VoLTE, Visual Voicemail, and any other carrier specific functions working on any model's ROM -- it is a matter of how much time you want to put into it.

Unfortunately it isn't a specific set of instructions that work across all models.

For example, I have T-Mobile specific features working fine on an H910, but those instructions wouldn't help you.

It isn't just about finding the APKs, you may have also pull some framework, and even swap out the RIL.

-- Brian

Reactions: baldybill

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
The easiest way would be to just flash the entire VS995 KDZ.

If you are going to go that route, be sure to back up your EFS first (modemst1 and modemst2), also backup misc and persistent...

-- Brian

Reactions: baldybill

RJH_MUSIC

Dec 17, 2016
Verizon VVM for Unlocked Phones

I have been searching for this for weeks now. I started this process a month ago by buying an unlocked LG V20 US996. First thing i noticed is was that the Verizon Voice Mail app was not transferred to my phone from the old phone and was not available on the Play Store. Why Verizon chose to not support it anymore on non Verizon phones is beyond me, and at the same time really pisses me off. I thought when you buy a phone outright, it is yours to do with what you want. But that is a whole different discussion. So i then purchased a Verizon version of the LG V20 just so i could have the app. One week into the new phone, the front camera went bye bye and now the camera application crashes. SO i am back to trying to figure this out. I am not skilled in anything android other than knowing where some files are located and how to change a few things around.

I would love it if someone could post how to do this for an LG V20 US996. I do not understand what RIL or framework things mean, but i suspect just lie your computer, when an application installs, it places certain operating files in other areas of the operating system, so just copying the APK file and trying to install it on another phone is not going to work.

I would love some guidance on this please. I really do not want to go buy another Verizon VS996. besides, getting one brand new is getting harder and harder.

RJ

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

I have been searching for this for weeks now. I started this process a month ago by buying an unlocked LG V20 US996. First thing i noticed is was that the Verizon Voice Mail app was not transferred to my phone from the old phone and was not available on the Play Store. Why Verizon chose to not support it anymore on non Verizon phones is beyond me, and at the same time really pisses me off. I thought when you buy a phone outright, it is yours to do with what you want. But that is a whole different discussion. So i then purchased a Verizon version of the LG V20 just so i could have the app. One week into the new phone, the front camera went bye bye and now the camera application crashes. SO i am back to trying to figure this out. I am not skilled in anything android other than knowing where some files are located and how to change a few things around.

I would love it if someone could post how to do this for an LG V20 US996. I do not understand what RIL or framework things mean, but i suspect just lie your computer, when an application installs, it places certain operating files in other areas of the operating system, so just copying the APK file and trying to install it on another phone is not going to work.

I would love some guidance on this please. I really do not want to go buy another Verizon VS996. besides, getting one brand new is getting harder and harder. I forgot to mention that i used a free app called resource extractor to extract all of the resources for the VMM but i do not know how to repackage these into an APK file to install. Not even sure if that terminology is correct. I wish someone could just post a hacked file that i could install.

RJ

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL

I would love some guidance on this please. I really do not want to go buy another Verizon VS996. besides, getting one brand new is getting harder and harder.

RJ

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

I would love some guidance on this please. I really do not want to go buy another Verizon VS996. besides, getting one brand new is getting harder and harder. I forgot to mention that i used a free app called resource extractor to extract all of the resources for the VMM but i do not know how to repackage these into an APK file to install. Not even sure if that terminology is correct. I wish someone could just post a hacked file that i could install.

RJ
Read the post prior to yours, it clearly states that you would need to flash a 995 kdz

Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs

RJH_MUSIC

Dec 17, 2016
I thought of that but I do not want to root the phone and the Verizon software steals functions from the LG 20 and renders them useless. For example on my Verizon version I cannot do a startup or shutdown tone and there's no option to set one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is possible to get WiFi calling, VoLTE, Visual Voicemail, and any other carrier specific functions working on any model's ROM -- it is a matter of how much time you want to put into it.

Unfortunately it isn't a specific set of instructions that work across all models.

For example, I have T-Mobile specific features working fine on an H910, but those instructions wouldn't help you.

It isn't just about finding the APKs, you may have also pull some framework, and even swap out the RIL.

-- Brian
    The easiest way would be to just flash the entire VS995 KDZ.

If you are going to go that route, be sure to back up your EFS first (modemst1 and modemst2), also backup misc and persistent...

-- Brian