Question Can you rely on the screen protector that comes with the phone?

Search This thread

Khalid Madkour

Mar 13, 2016
I am using the screen protector that came with the phone but I am worried that it might not be that good to rely on.
I am not taking about dropping the phone or something. All am I caring about is scratches from the pen or stuff in my pocket. Can this screen protector help against these or it is useless?

The reason I kept it, because it fit so well and it does not affect the screen quality.

Khalid Madkour

Mar 13, 2016
Well, both Amfilm and Whitestone have UV-based tempered glass protectors that fit really good, but do you want to spend the money for those?
They're not like $10 for 3 pieces or something ;)
Spending 70~100 USD to protect 1200$ is worth it but the problem these kind of screen protectors can not be found in Egypt I think so until I find a way to get them without paying much taxes and fees I will stick with the default S.protector

xwing1000

Jan 30, 2012
I had problems with the finger reader. He caught the fourth, fifth time. (I added the same one a couple of times and it didn't help.) Today I took off the factory foil and magic. The reader catches off the shot every time!

MasterThiefGarrett

Sep 4, 2010
I remember Samsung saying that a glass screen cover would interfere with the fingerprint scanner. I'm curious as to whether or not that's actually the case...
I tried a cheap UV-based tempered glass (10 euros) and on my Note 10 it works flawless every time.
And since the S21 series has a much bigger sensor I expect it to work fine as well, I know Whitestone Dome works fine, AND the AmFilm one too.

mankvl

Apr 2, 2011
Kaunas
I used Note 8 for 3 years without screen protector and had maybe 1 micro scratch that was only visible when screen off. Now still using S21U with pre installed screen protector but the feeling of it is not so good, very rubbery especially if fingers are wet. Debetaing to take it of because I have some problems with fingerprint reader too, it's not bad but sometimes it's not detecting the finger.

I really liked the factory fitted screen protector.

It is more than adequate to protect the screen from scratches from everyday use. Unfortunately the corner peeled off after getting caught on some fabric on the couch so I had to replace it.

I decided against a tempered glass protector for the following reasons:

1. Regular tempered glass SP interfere with the ultrasonic fingerprint reader. Go to amazon and search for s21U TP screen protectors and you'll see what i mean.

2. There are some TG screen protectors that use UV light hardened resins to stick to screen. These are supposed to be fingerprint reader friendly but the good ones like Whitestone Dome are very expensive (for a disposable item) and you have to get a perfect installation, with the resin being a potential hazard if it seeps into the phone.
The cheap ones on the other hand are usually not very good and have a thinned out layer of glass overlying the fingerprint reader that is really irritating to look at.

3. I'm not sure what that UV hardening adhesive does to the oleophobic coating on the screen over a long time.

4. TG screen protectors do not have an anti-reflective coating like the phone screen. So once you apply it, the surface becomes shiny and reflective like glossy screens. This doesnt happen with the softer TPU protectors. Maybe someone who has recently applied a TG SP can post his experience here?

3. TG also adds thickness to the screen as compared to TPU screen protectors, and this is a pretty chunky phone already.

I moved away from tempered glass protectors about 3 years ago after trying a bunch of them and have been using TPU (liquid skin type) SP since then. They are cheap, easy to install, usually come in multi-packs so you can swap them out when it gets dirty or peels off or scratches etc, without breaking the bank or feeling sorry that you have to throw away a $30 - $50 tempered glass protector that you applied with utmost care. The newer materials are also very nice to touch, virtually indistinguishable from the underlying glass.

Having said all this, I have friends that swear by tempered glass protectors and are willing to pay anything to have the feel of glass under their fingers. There's no right or wrong answer here, just what works for you. :)

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021

It is more than adequate to protect the screen from scratches from everyday use. Unfortunately the corner peeled off after getting caught on some fabric on the couch so I had to replace it.

1. Regular tempered glass SP interfere with the ultrasonic fingerprint reader. Go to amazon and search for s21U TP screen protectors and you'll see what i mean.

2. There are some TG screen protectors that use UV light hardened resins to stick to screen. These are supposed to be fingerprint reader friendly but the good ones like Whitestone Dome are very expensive (for a disposable item) and you have to get a perfect installation, with the resin being a potential hazard if it seeps into the phone.
The cheap ones on the other hand are usually not very good and have a thinned out layer of glass overlying the fingerprint reader that is really irritating to look at.

3. I'm not sure what that UV hardening adhesive does to the oleophobic coating on the screen over a long time.

4. TG screen protectors do not have an anti-reflective coating like the phone screen. So once you apply it, the surface becomes shiny and reflective like glossy screens. This doesnt happen with the softer TPU protectors. Maybe someone who has recently applied a TG SP can post his experience here?

3. TG also adds thickness to the screen as compared to TPU screen protectors, and this is a pretty chunky phone already.

I moved away from tempered glass protectors about 3 years ago after trying a bunch of them and have been using TPU (liquid skin type) SP since then. They are cheap, easy to install, usually come in multi-packs so you can swap them out when it gets dirty or peels off or scratches etc, without breaking the bank or feeling sorry that you have to throw away a $30 - $50 tempered glass protector that you applied with utmost care. The newer materials are also very nice to touch, virtually indistinguishable from the underlying glass.

Having said all this, I have friends that swear by tempered glass protectors and are willing to pay anything to have the feel of glass under their fingers. There's no right or wrong answer here, just what works for you. :)
A case with enough lip protection is good enough.

Reactions: Khalid Madkour

Khalid Madkour

Mar 13, 2016
Thank you for sharing you experience. I decided to stay with the factory screen protector. It really love it as it fits the screen so well and is clear as if there was no screen protector.

Reactions: enigmaamit
A case with enough lip protection is good enough.
Yes. For most purposes, I agree with you that it's enough. I used to think so too... Never used a screen protector on any of my phones. Tried the tempered glass one on my last phone but felt it was too thick and reflective, so there is away and went with a naked screen. The experience was amazing, interfacing with the screen without any barriers. At least until I got two mysterious scratches on my OnePlus 6 screen, about 2 months apart, one after the other. Never dropped the phone, didn't put it face down, just used it normally. Must've been a grain of sand in my pocket... I'm still not sure to this day what caused the scratches...

I was using a spigen case without a screen protector then. Had to live with those scratches for 2 years. It was heartbreaking to see them everytime... See attached pics.

Since that experience, I vowed never to go with the screen naked again. Maybe I was just unlucky. But the fact that it happened twice is something I cannot ignore, and cannot risk on this new phone. It's too beautiful and too expensive to gamble with, at least based on my personal experience.

Attachments

• 20210409_190021.jpg
    20210409_190021.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Second day I had my Note 10+ it faceplanted on a rough piece of 1/8" thick aluminum angle from pocket height. The metal hit the curve portion of the screen. Oh Yeah... isn't that special?
    The case soaked up some of the impact but the factory screen protect was hit and savaged.
    It protected the screen, zero damage. gulp.

Been using wet apply Gorilla IQ Sheild after trying a bunch of products including Whitestone.
    After 9 months it's still on and while it's due to be replaced it's held up amazing well for $5 a pop.
    Unlike the other junk, it's easy to apply and line up properly
    I use the Zizo Bolt case to provide to majority of the protection. Raised screen guards on all sides are needed as I learned earlier🤣
    After 1.5 years, zero damage.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Must've been a grain of sand in my pocket... I'm still not sure to this day what caused the scratches...

I was using a spigen case without a screen protector then. Had to live with those scratches for 2 years. It was heartbreaking to see them everytime... See attached pics.

Since that experience, I vowed never to go with the screen naked again. Maybe I was just unlucky. But the fact that it happened twice is something I cannot ignore, and cannot risk on this new phone. It's too beautiful and too expensive to gamble with, at least based on my personal experience.

Sand will do it every time. I tried the same experiment over 2 years ago with the same results. I always use a good case and screen protector because permanent scratches pi$$ me off.

Reactions: enigmaamit

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Clarification: Case with a lip everywhere and a regular TPU screen protector is great for the majority of use-cases out there. And, it is the cheapest option.

And very effective when using a good case.
    BDU upper pant leg cargo pockets are great for smartphones...just make sure to keep the rear facing button, buttoned or your will lose it🤣

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Clarification: Case with a lip everywhere and a regular TPU screen protector is great for the majority of use-cases out there. And, it is the cheapest option.

Second day I had my Note 10+ it faceplanted on a rough piece of 1/8" thick aluminum angle from pocket height. The metal hit the curve portion of the screen. Oh Yeah... isn't that special?
      The case soaked up some of the impact but the factory screen protect was hit and savaged.
      It protected the screen, zero damage. gulp.

Been using wet apply Gorilla IQ Sheild after trying a bunch of products including Whitestone.
      After 9 months it's still on and while it's due to be replaced it's held up amazing well for $5 a pop.
      Unlike the other junk, it's easy to apply and line up properly
      I use the Zizo Bolt case to provide to majority of the protection. Raised screen guards on all sides are needed as I learned earlier🤣
      After 1.5 years, zero damage.
      Obviously experience may vary quite a bit due to different conditions. For me so far the stock protector works quite well and protects the screen from scratches.

But as I like the "Glass feeling" a bit more I'll fit a tempered glass protector sometime in the future....
      I remember Samsung saying that a glass screen cover would interfere with the fingerprint scanner. I'm curious as to whether or not that's actually the case...
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone