Can you root a phone with a chromebook?

Search This thread

mrme73

Jan 25, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
I don't think it's that hard but I've only tried it when testing it for a netbook. You will have to search that model as it varies. Usually called developer mode and dual booting with another Linux distribution.

kibmikey1

Aug 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes. You just need to enable developer mode, install Arch Linux, disable software verification settings, and obtain adb/fastboot via command prompt (although the versions may or may not be outdated).

saedted

Mar 6, 2015
Yes. You just need to enable developer mode, install Arch Linux, disable software verification settings, and obtain adb/fastboot via command prompt (although the versions may or may not be outdated).
Hi, I'm trying to flash Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 using my Dell Chromebook. I'm almost there but my N7 says I have to update my ADB to 1.0.32. Unfortunately Ubuntu hasn't updated their repositories so any idea how I can update ADB on my chromebook?

thanks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

adam4870

Jan 3, 2019
Technically yes but you will have to root the Chromebook first to gain access to the Linux command line to install the adb software as root

if i do this will it "root" my phone so I can get apps that require root?
Also, I have a galaxy j3 eclipse, will this work on my phone

garretts228

May 14, 2010
Gulfport
There is a lack of information and a bit of misinformation here. You don't "root" your chromebook and you don't have to install Arch Linux. So here is the breakdown. If you want to root your phone you can do so by using ADB. To do this you have to do a few things:
1. Enable Developer mode on your chromebook (this requires a powerwash which will delete data and reset your chromebook)

2. Open Crosh by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T

3. Type "shell" and press enter.

4. Update ADB and move the binaries to their appropriate location by typing:
Code:
curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nathanchance/chromeos-adb-fastboot/master/install.sh | bash

5. Make sure ADB is working by typing "adb --version" and pressing enter. This will tell you the version of ADB that is installed, which the current version is 1.0.40 Typing "adb --version" will also tell you where ADB has been installed to. This should say: /usr/local/bin

6. Enable Developer Mode on your phone and enable USB Debugging within the Developer settings.

7. Test that you can communicate with your phone by typing "adb devices" with your phone connected to your chromebook. If your device shows up make sure that you can send data to your phone by typing "adb reboot recovery". This should reboot your device into recovery.

8. If you were able to successfully reboot your phone into recovery using ADB then you have everything you need to root your phone using your chromebook. Just look up how to root your phone using ADB and you will be good to go. This is the method I used to unlock my Bootloader, install a Custom Recovery and the method I used to root my OnePlus 6T with Magisk.

Last edited:

Dhodge77

Aug 15, 2019
how do i put the TWRP.img file into the same folder where the fastboot and adb files are? or how do i type the command to flash it to my oneplus 7 pro in my crosh shell window.

lonnie89

Jan 1, 2020
I am able to unlock my boot-loader via adb and and fastboot but cant find away to access the Chromebooks file system to flash twrp and and custom roms. help!!! Im attempting to convert the Moto G7 to a more secure linux rom.

shadyshadow

Nov 30, 2013
I am able to unlock my boot-loader via adb and and fastboot but cant find away to access the Chromebooks file system to flash twrp and and custom roms. help!!! Im attempting to convert the Moto G7 to a more secure linux rom.
On my pixelbook with the beta Linux installed copy the downloadet twrp.img file to the linux folder that's located in the files app. Should then show up in your home Linux directory.

Last edited:

lonnie89

Jan 1, 2020
How do I get access to that file system in croots and flash it to the phone.

How do I get access to the file and move to the phone in croots what are the commands. It's my my downloads folder.

eurovive

Nov 22, 2021
Somewhere
Moto G 5G
There is a lack of information and a bit of misinformation here. You don't "root" your chromebook and you don't have to install Arch Linux. So here is the breakdown. If you want to root your phone you can do so by using ADB. To do this you have to do a few things:
1. Enable Developer mode on your chromebook (this requires a powerwash which will delete data and reset your chromebook)

Code:
curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nathanchance/chromeos-adb-fastboot/master/install.sh | bash

5. Make sure ADB is working by typing "adb --version" and pressing enter. This will tell you the version of ADB that is installed, which the current version is 1.0.40 Typing "adb --version" will also tell you where ADB has been installed to. This should say: /usr/local/bin

6. Enable Developer Mode on your phone and enable USB Debugging within the Developer settings.

7. Test that you can communicate with your phone by typing "adb devices" with your phone connected to your chromebook. If your device shows up make sure that you can send data to your phone by typing "adb reboot recovery". This should reboot your device into recovery.

8. If you were able to successfully reboot your phone into recovery using ADB then you have everything you need to root your phone using your chromebook. Just look up how to root your phone using ADB and you will be good to go. This is the method I used to unlock my Bootloader, install a Custom Recovery and the method I used to root my OnePlus 6T with Magisk.
Hi. Thanks for a working method. I have tried each step and Crosh gave me error:
bash: /usr/local/bin/adb: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
One question - do i have to be on "developer channel" in Chromebook?
Coz then i will have to reinstall Chromebook.
Best Regards
Nick
Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 01.30.59.png

garretts228

May 14, 2010
Gulfport
Finally yes - i need to be in Developer mode for ADB.
Full article is here - how to and what is what.
Sorry I didn't leave that detail behind for you, but yes that method does indeed require dev mode. However there are other methods that don't require it now using Linux. I have not done them so I am only forwarding this information: https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/dtwfpm

Reactions: eurovive

eurovive

Nov 22, 2021
Somewhere
Moto G 5G
Thats a nice suggestion too. As someone says Chromebook should be Intel-ready to run Android apps, thats why i was thinking whats wrong. I have Arm based Tegra K1 with saying some how limited support of updates, therefore having support for Crostini feature. Will try later.

D

Deleted member 12513801

Hey I have both REVVL V+ 5G android phone and a Dell Chromebook 11 laptop I was wondering if I can root my device with it and how to do that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

I was looking at a toshiba chromebook 2 but was wondering if you can root a phone on it as i wanted to root my G4.

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app
    Sorry I didn't leave that detail behind for you, but yes that method does indeed require dev mode. However there are other methods that don't require it now using Linux. I have not done them so I am only forwarding this information: https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/dtwfpm