Can Z00A ROMs work on (or be ported to) Z00X(ZX551ML)?

Search This thread

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Got myself a Z00X(ZX551ML) as a spare unit to test things while I continue to use my current Z00A(ZE551ML) for daily usage, as I could not get myself another Z00A for the purpose. I'm posting it here because the Z00X forum is completely inactive and the device is mainly different in the amount of SIM slots and the camera, plus that some of the stuffs in this forum already have support for Z00X (like BORETS, and maybe TWRP).

So far I've been successful in unlocking the bootloader and flashing a raw MM firmware (to upgrade everything to MM level from LP), but I'm not sure how much a Z00A nougat custom ROM would work on it. To me it doesn't seem that cellular data and camera are going to work without issues and might require some porting...

Had anyone tried getting things worked on Z00A working on Z00X?

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Some progress.

First of all, after unlocking the BL from Lollipop then flashing the raw firmware (4.21.40.314, found here) I'm able to flash the latest TWRP for Z00A on Z00X and it works without any issues.

Tried flashing Z00A DotOS from this post on the Z00X target. The ROM boots, with some issues:
- The target, after flashing the MM firmware, has an Ifwi version of 0096.0123 whereas Z00A has 0094.0183. This prevents the ROM from being flashed as the update scripts have assertions on it, though it can be worked around.
- Camera works, maybe partially... I don't really know how the laser focus works though, but it does seem to function to a limited extent. The laser focus does blink and the camera could actually adjust the focus a bit, but zooming doesn't seem to work, it stays at 1x despite trying to zoom it in or out.
- The SIM part seems to differ a bit more than camera part, compared to Z00A. It's completely non-functional, as IMEI does not show (from Phone Status).

EDIT: Kernels meant for Z00A will work for Z00X, as this is true in official kernel source code, whose "fhd" target is meant for both devices.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone