• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [CANADA] Galaxy S21 Ultra discussions, sw updates, everything related to the SM-G998W

Search This thread

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I've been meaning to ask for a while : do you guys get any kind of VoLTE icon when it active?
I know it's carrier dependent (I'm with Videotron) but while I was getting an "HD" symbol on my old mate 20 pro, I don't get anything on the Ultra. VoWiFi has its own icon alright.

The account shows both VoLTE and VoWiFi activated on this phone (I had to call in...).
What makes me skeptical is that I never saw a wideband codec in use, just AMR NB (*#*#*0011# while in a call).

BlaaaaazedUp

Dec 2, 2020
I've been meaning to ask for a while : do you guys get any kind of VoLTE icon when it active?
I know it's carrier dependent (I'm with Videotron) but while I was getting an "HD" symbol on my old mate 20 pro, I don't get anything on the Ultra. VoWiFi has its own icon alright.

The account shows both VoLTE and VoWiFi activated on this phone (I had to call in...).
What makes me skeptical is that I never saw a wideband codec in use, just AMR NB (*#*#*0011# while in a call).
I just get the HD. On telus

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I just get the HD. On telus
Thanks..I'll have to test while on a call..should have paid attention if it changes to 3G (actually Videotron calls UMTS "4G"...which is "questionable").

EDIT : Data stays on LTE during calls. If I disable VoLTE in Settings, it drops to 4G. So it's just the "IMS Network Status Indicator" that's missing.
According to Quickstar it should be an HD+ icon.

Last edited:

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
June update should now be available for the SM-G998W.
Shows up as AUF7...so it better include everything previous.
Any brave souls out there testing? 🤣

For the first time since I got this phone i am reluctant to jump as I usually do, have seen too many bizarre reports related to decreased battery life and lower benchmark scores (likely due to aggressive throttling).

SloPoke23

Jan 13, 2019
What's going on with the July update? It's almost the end of the month and I'm still on the June update, which was a couple if weeks late in itself.

Is this the same for all Canadian S21 Ultras, or is it controlled by whatever carrier you are using?

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It is official: Kanukistan will NOT get a patch in July for the S21 series.
S20 series gets July updates on August 3rd, but not the newer phones.

Bears repeating: So much for BS marketing "timely updates" if you can't even deliver security updates on time...I have NO hope for 3 years of Android updates either.

Do NOT blame carriers, this is all Scamsung (I have an unlocked phone bought from them, something I mentioned above as well ).

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
It is official: Kanukistan will NOT get a patch in July for the S21 series.
S20 series gets July updates on August 3rd, but not the newer phones.

Bears repeating: So much for BS marketing "timely updates" if you can't even deliver security updates on time...I have NO hope for 3 years of Android updates either.

Do NOT blame carriers, this is all Scamsung (I have an unlocked phone bought from them, something I mentioned above as well ).
Dont understand Samsung. They dont provide timely Updates. They wont fix this anoying cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock that is draining the battery on standby and calling it a feature. They arent taking any feedback...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What do you know? Another Canadian update!

Software update information

. Version: G998WVLU4AUGQ / G998WOYV4AUGQ /
    G998WVLU4AUGQ
    . Size: 1 1 16.39 MB
    . Security patch level: August 1, 2021
    Speaking of 5G - does anyone else experience 5G signal issues? And by issues, I mean, it will connect to 5G (with full signal) and work for a bit, then switch back to LTE or LTE-A and then won't reconnect back to 5G. We recently had 5G enabled here all over the city but for some reason it rarely connects unless I am standing still, turn airplane mode on/off or play around with my network preferences (switch from 5g/lte/wcdma back to lte/wcdma then back to 5g/lte/wcdma).

I've already reset my network settings but still occurring.

I just tried disabling all the 5G NR bands aside from n66 as that's the only one that (at least) Telus/Bell uses (from the service mode menu above).

Wondering if maybe the way Samsung implements 5G power savings is too aggressive. I have an iPhone 12 I use for work and I never lose 5G with that one (on 5G Auto) - relevant since it uses a Qualcomm modem (x55 vs S21U's x60)
    I chuck it up to power management and also problems on the network side with jumping between 4G and 5G. It sometimes seems like the network hangs onto 5G for nothing else but marketing purposes.

I hard-coded a few 4G bands and while I'm not roaming around outside the city, I'm seeing better battery life and signal.
    Telus will update in May 18th
    Screenshot_20210507-190818_Chrome.jpg
    Woahh!! Is gcam able to access the 10x zoom lens??
    Yes...and the results are quite remarkable in my case. Definitely cleaner shots.
    It's weird because I can not use the gcam that someone upload in this thread. Installed it successfully but it doesn't open
    You may have to manually enable file permission. Sometimes you get 3 options and it defaults to the middle which is not full file access.
    Yup, it looks like Robbers has also updated the schedule. I hope we jump straight to AUE1
    https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/OS-Upgrades/OS-Upgrade-Schedule/td-p/354931
    Why what's new in AUE1 ?
    Looks like there were 2 updates, AUDA and AUE1, I was simply saying that I hope we get a single one combining the fixes.
    Mostly camera improvements ( thermal control and PQ).