Canadian Galaxy s7 edge discussion

Search This thread
Jan 13, 2014
Halifax
It appears Modem and Bootloader were updated with latest update. I was unable to return to previous firmware without causing an error. Have anyone tried rooting latest firmware? I tried once and got stuck at boot screen

I upgraded firmware to G930W8VLU2API1 using odin and had no issues rooting. I flashed twrp 3.0.2-3 and then SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115 flashable zip. Remember after rooting by doing this the device will appear to be stuck in a boot loop and will reboot multiple times before successfully firing up the device setup screen so give it a chance before you give up. Anyone looking for the correct Canadian Samsung Galaxy S7 firmwares they can be found at... http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G930W8/

Reactions: eboy_gb

fortesquieu

May 22, 2010
Doing great thanks. Just exchanged Note 7 for S7edge. Liking it so far

Well, I was waiting for Note 7 for over a month and decided to buy S7E before the last recall. I'm loving it too!

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

My S7 Edge had a dead pixel located around the power button and it was sent for repair 2 weeks ago. Ugh. At least Rogers gave me an Xperia M4 as a loaner instead of some bull**** flip phone. Still miss my baby... :crying:

Did they say how long it'll take for the repair?

fguerra024

Aug 2, 2012
Toronto
Well, I was waiting for Note 7 for over a month and decided to buy S7E before the last recall. I'm loving it too!

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Did they say how long it'll take for the repair?

They told me it is usually 10 days or less. The girl working there actually said it is usually less than 10 days. There was Thanksgiving (Canada) this past weekend, so I'll follow up with them on Monday if I hear nothing. I doubt they will be able to do anything though. I hope Samsung's Note 7 fiasco isn't making this take longer than it should...

Last edited:

TheLoserman

Jul 31, 2016
FYI we should be getting another update in November according to Telus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161014-150941.jpg
    Screenshot_20161014-150941.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 469
Reactions: BCSC

puner89

Jan 24, 2011
I rooted my phone a month ago and currently have plans to sell this phone. Can someone tell me how to get back to stock rom and continue getting the ota updates from Samsung? Basically I dont want the buyer knowing this phone was ever rooted. Phone was originally with Rogers but got it unlocked and using it with Wind.

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
I rooted my phone a month ago and currently have plans to sell this phone. Can someone tell me how to get back to stock rom and continue getting the ota updates from Samsung? Basically I dont want the buyer knowing this phone was ever rooted. Phone was originally with Rogers but got it unlocked and using it with Wind.
The buyer is going to know when he register for Samsung Pay and he finds Knox has been tricked and he has been scammed.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

mrnovanova

Jun 28, 2011
Montreal
That is quite dishonest. I don't think you should share your intent to scam people. Definitely something you want to keep to yourself. If you want to sell a phone that has been rooted you should advertise it as such. In any case just odin back to stock. Make sure you flash the right firmware.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto

Lol...funny.

You clearly dont realize that even going back to stock knox will read as 0x1 (pending root method) so people will know you modded something.

Maybe doest seem like such a genius idea now trying to fool people.

Its the first thing i check on a used device.

RIP Note 7 :)

Last edited:

puner89

Jan 24, 2011
The buyer is going to know when he register for Samsung Pay and he finds Knox has been tricked and he has been scammed.

I think android pay still works if I unroot. I dont think we have Samsung Pay yet in Canada.

That is quite dishonest. I don't think you should share your intent to scam people. Definitely something you want to keep to yourself. If you want to sell a phone that has been rooted you should advertise it as such. In any case just odin back to stock. Make sure you flash the right firmware.

Not really sure how I am trying to scam someone. I had to see my Note 4 by flashing stock firmware on it because when it was rooted, all the buyers thought it had viruses or spyware on it since it was "rooted" which I noted in the advertisement. People who are oblivious to the term would be paranoid in buying a rooted phone. That's the whole idea of my post.

Lol...funny.

You clearly dont realize that even going back to stock knox will read as 0x1 (pending root method) so people will know you modded something.

Maybe doest seem like such a genius idea now trying to fool people.

Its the first thing i check on a used device.

Also selling a note 7 now illegal since its officially recalled.

Good luck trying to sell a recalled device...ill give you $50 for it though since that's about all its worth :D

RIP Note 7 :)
Dude are you high? I don't even have a Note 7. I said I own a galaxy S7 edge lol?

mrnovanova

Jun 28, 2011
Montreal
I think android pay still works if I unroot. I dont think we have Samsung Pay yet in Canada.

Not really sure how I am trying to scam someone. I had to see my Note 4 by flashing stock firmware on it because when it was rooted, all the buyers thought it had viruses or spyware on it since it was "rooted" which I noted in the advertisement. People who are oblivious to the term would be paranoid in buying a rooted phone. That's the whole idea of my post.

Dude are you high? I don't even have a Note 7. I said I own a galaxy S7 edge lol?
As long as your keeping it clean. If you bring it back to stock and say that it was once rooted and it's now stock it's fine. As long as you disclose it. Your question was how to I bring it back to stock to "hide" that it was ever rooted. That's shady. Anyway like I said before Odin back to stock. Make sure you have the right firmware.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

[[/QUOTE]
You did say that you don't want the buyers knowing that the phone was ever rooted.

puner89

Jan 24, 2011
As long as your keeping it clean. If you bring it back to stock and say that it was once rooted and it's now stock it's fine. As long as you disclose it. Your question was how to I bring it back to stock to "hide" that it was ever rooted. That's shady. Anyway like I said before Odin back to stock. Make sure you have the right firmware.
Maybe my choice of words was wrong, but by "hide" what I meant was I didn't want the person thinking my phone was malicious just because I had rooted it. Anyways, if I flash the correct firmware, would I return to getting OTA updates from Samsung like before rooting? or because of Knox being tripped, would I be blocked from getting updates?

mrnovanova

Jun 28, 2011
Montreal
Maybe my choice of words was wrong, but by "hide" what I meant was I didn't want the person thinking my phone was malicious just because I had rooted it. Anyways, if I flash the correct firmware, would I return to getting OTA updates from Samsung like before rooting? or because of Knox being tripped, would I be blocked from getting updates?
Thanks for clarifying. I figured it might have just been a wrong choice of words. [emoji4]

So yeah by flashing back to stock it'll be just like any other unrooted phone. It will get updates and everything will work except for Samsung pay. And of course knox will be forever tripped.

Reactions: puner89

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A user on reddit found a way to change CSC for people with XAC without rooting. Just put in *#243203855# on the phone menu and it gives you the option to change to other carriers.
    Hey boys, is there a way to root our S7 edges without tripping knox? Or alternatively is there a way of unrooting if I ever needed to send the phone in to get fixed?

http://bfy.tw/Ab8j :highfive::good:
    You guys gimp the security, speed, and reliability of your phone and encourage others to do the same; it's sickening. His question didn't even have anything to do with rooting.

I've rooted phones for years but it doesn't feel nearly as necessary as it used to. Not to mention all of the problems that result from it: no Samsung pay, unencrypted internal storage, no Knox, slower boot time, random reboots, increased memory usage, and incompatible or poorly tested xposed modules can cause a myriad of bugs.

The level of dillusion is insane in this community.

No issues here. Samsung Pay is not even available in Canada yet, and I'm happy using my credit cards regardless.
    Boot time has not increased at all, memory usage is the same, don't care too much for knox.
    Please also note that Xposed isn't the only thing that can be done after rooting. Having the ability to remove system apps, and having access to root functions and folders is never a bad thing.

Also, no one is forcing you to do it, so chill out.
    I'm sure when someone decides to root, they will end up doing some research on it, and they can decide for themselves if they want to do it or not... no one is holding a gun to their head lol.
    I'm happy with ClearPlex film protector from BestBuy stores. $29.99 + tax lifetime warranty. Anytime it peels off or it gets damaged you go back to the store with the receipt and they put a new one on. It does not cover from edge to edge. There is a 1-2 mm gap between the film and the edge end the ear piece and home button are only enclosed on three sides. The tech said that if the film would go more towards the curved sides it would peel off so they are aware about the limitations of edge screen and their product. After 1 month absolutely no problem. Install was great with no bubbles and no lint underneath. They have a machine that does it. It seems to be wet application and the screen is self healing. They have two flavors. On our device they apply the ULTRA one which it's been said to be HD. If feels just a little bit rubbery but way less than others. The touch sensitivity is great though.
    Give it a try.

What are you guys using for screen protector, I know decent tempered glass is not possible and probably will not be for a long time but looking for a decent film. Don't care about the orange peal effect, I care more about the ease of bubble free installation

Lol. You literally had to draw me a picture ? Thanks bro. Much appreciated. So I have to go on that site. Outside of xda right. I signed up and the said someone would review my application. They must me screening for trolls or something.

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Can't view thread.
    As of 10 May 2016 registrations will no longer be automatic and open. In order to be a member of this forum you will have to be referred to one of the Echoe team members by another member of the forum who has been a member for a minimum of 3 months.…

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers mobile app
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=52667
    Get roms from there. V11 is latest one.

Sent from my Pebble Time
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone