Canadian Galaxy s7 edge discussion

Search This thread

TheIgster

Jan 27, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Got the update late last night on Rogers. Everything seems good so far. They kind of tucked away the AOD settings and removed what I had (clock with a nice colour backgroud). Found the clock again, but can't seem to find a way to add the colour to the background again. Also, I have noticed that the theme store has crashed a few times. Think it might have something to do with older themes that were already on the device. Other than that, seems smooth and a lot faster overall. Time will tell I guess.

You were right @HockeyNinja, the update even came a little early.

HockeyNinja

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
You were right @HockeyNinja, the update even came a little early.

Happy day! Unfortunately, I completely borked my phone (I was coming from an older custom ROM) and had to reinstall the stock image via Odin. Didn't seem to want to update the baseband and kept hanging. Ultimately, using a newer version of Odin (3.13.1) solved the issue and now I'm just going through the motions of recovering and reinstalling all my apps and settings. I don't mind, I kind of feel like I'm setting up a new phone. I probably would've just factory reset anyhow to make sure everything went in clean.

CrEdge

Mar 2, 2013
Chose the safe way and applied OTA. So far it's actually more responsive than before. Got this weird Knox not licensed anymore message, but everything still works. Probably because of Samsung new agreements I didn't accept or see then.

I may start another thread later about flashing Koodo Oreo CSC. Like whether there is VoLTE and WiFi Calling benefits for my phone, and the risk of tripping Knox + losing Samsung Pay.

HockeyNinja

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
Anyone flash oreo and the root? Is it the same steps at 7.x?

I flashed Oreo and rooted by doing the following steps:
1. Used Odin to flash the official firmware (uncheck autoreboot).
2. Flashed the latest version of TWRP
3. Boot into TWRP - Don't let the phone boot normally.
4. Go to Advanced Wipe - Choose only 'Data' then choose to change filesystem.
5. First choose Ext2 then wipe, then change to Ext 4 and wipe.
6. Reboot back into recovery.
7. Flash remove-encryption.zip and then SuperSU. (sorry don't have links to these files, but I found them from the big s7 oreo thread.)

edit: also, I tried to install magisk but it would not flash the zip and I kept getting "error: 2" I settled for SuperSU.

Reactions: stanguay and unit68

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
I flashed 5 times lastnight im able to root and boot up but system isnt quite right...data must be locked. My camera and flaslight doesnt work and my youtube app doesnt load either. And if i go back into twrp my partitions are o and cant mount but i can boot into my system normally. I rooted with magisk 16.4. Ive need been able to get that to work properly. In 7.1 i had to flash supersu then install flashfire and reflash the system in order for some sensors and aps to work. Its like the root breaks something in the current system. Might have to do the same way i did it for 7.1. Ill try your steps above with super su. What version of supersu and twrp are you using? [

Last edited:

HockeyNinja

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
I flashed 5 times lastnight im able to root and boot up but system isnt quite right...data must be locked. My camera and flaslight doesnt work and my youtube app doesnt load either. And if i go back into twrp my partitions are o and cant mount but i can boot into my system normally. I rooted with magisk 16.4. Ive need been able to get that to work properly. In 7.1 i had to flash supersu then install flashfire and reflash the system in order for some sensors and aps to work. Its like the root breaks something in the current system. Might have to do the same way i did it for 7.1. Ill try your steps above with super su. What version of supersu and twrp are you using? [

TWRP 3.2.1-0 (latest)
SuperSU v2.82-201705271822.zip

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Are you people experiencing the Cell Standby drain on the official Oreo ?

My battery life has definitely improved. No Cell Standby drain.

I've completely wiped my phone and Odin flashed the official firmware. Safest bet to ensure that there are no problems from previous install.

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
ok so supersu 2.82 worked and all was good did a few reboots but then i started to remove some system apps (rogers junk and some samsung stuff) then i ran adaway aand u[pdated the hosts...after a reboot.....data is encrypted again and the camera /flashlight stopped working.
seems i am either removing an app i need or the hosts patching is triggering something.

even in titanium it is showing encryption disabled but some apps cant load properly..
im going to see if i can just flash the ap in flashfire its what i had to do before...

Adaway in systemless mode is fine but seems like i cant delete system apps or one i normally delete is causing an issue and brwaki g

Last edited:

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
Ok looked into it more and it seems like the encryption disabler zip isnd working 100% on my phone so when i delete system apps or install adaway not as systemless it is triggering dm-verity...im pretty sure i tried dmverity no opt encrypt 6.0 and had same issue but ill try again tonight. Even if i wipe the phone its still not right. I have to reflash the oreo rom via odin to fix it. So frustrating. Its not like it fully encrypts either just breaks some apps and sensors but i can boot fine

I also tried supersu 2.82sr5 with same result when i modify the system

HockeyNinja

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
Ok looked into it more and it seems like the encryption disabler zip isnd working 100% on my phone so when i delete system apps or install adaway not as systemless it is triggering dm-verity...im pretty sure i tried dmverity no opt encrypt 6.0 and had same issue but ill try again tonight. Even if i wipe the phone its still not right. I have to reflash the oreo rom via odin to fix it. So frustrating. Its not like it fully encrypts either just breaks some apps and sensors but i can boot fine

I also tried supersu 2.82sr5 with same result when i modify the system

Bizarre. I have adaway systemless installed and working on my phone, but i haven't tried removing any system apps yet.
Try the dm-verity fix and see if that works. I'd also recommend doing a nandroid backup once you get the phone in a good state in case it happens again, you can just recover. Will save you from having to reflash with odin. Good luck!

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
Bizarre. I have adaway systemless installed and working on my phone, but i haven't tried removing any system apps yet.
Try the dm-verity fix and see if that works. I'd also recommend doing a nandroid backup once you get the phone in a good state in case it happens again, you can just recover. Will save you from having to reflash with odin. Good luck!

Thanks, yeah i started having the flashing issues with 7.x any android older that that i was fine. Its like something corrupts the system partition juat enough to make it annoying lol atleast i can still use my phone when that happens. In 7.x i had to reflash the ap from flashfire and have it preserve root and reinject it. But even that was a pain cause sometimes it would load all the options for carriers like ktelecom and tmobile

Ill update the thread tonight if i have any luck.

HockeyNinja

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
But even that was a pain cause sometimes it would load all the options for carriers like ktelecom and tmobile

Ya my settings show those options as well. I don't really mind though as it doesn't really have an impact on the functionality or performance of the phone. I'm content with it for now until someone releases a solid W8 supported oreo ROM. Ideally an OREO Superman release would be awesome.

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
Ok so im rooted again and no issues so far. I have adaway installed as systemless. I disabled most of the apps. Later i am going to see if i can freeze some in titanium. Then reboot if thats ok ill try deleting some. Ill keep track of what i remove so hopefully i can narrow it down. Also i tried just flashing the ap and home csc and thats when i got the ktlecom and tmobile so i did a full odin with csc_oya and i got only the rogers junk so maybe for you its because you need the csc oya.? Also check out csc changer i used it on 7.x to change the csc to rwc i donno if it works in 8.0 so check that first. Is a 2gb aroma package has all the csc,s from the world but only flashes what you select

unit68

Dec 27, 2007
Toronto
Started uninstalling and rebooting.

Rogers apps (my rogers ,nhl, next issue)
Powerpoint
Instagram
Excel
Whatsapp

Then i removed
Memo
Hangouts
And spotify

And my camera stopped when i cam back after a reboot

Im trying to restore those to see if it will correct its self

Nope didnt work...still lost camera and even restoreing wasnt working properly had to reboot for it to actually restore. One of those apps is triggering sonething to lock system

Annnnd im back.
So what ill do now is delete that first group of apps then try and see what is different in those second group. Also i didnt bother flashing the dmverity or the encryption disabler zip because they didnt seem to do anything anyways. I am also using super su 2.82r5 systemless

Also i did a full backup of the apps and data in titanium and created a zip. I flashed it but it didnt fix whatever broke. Im wondering if its due to removing an app from the priv-app folder that triggers something to lock system.

Ok last update for a bit..
I am convinced that there is a dependancy the camera app and youtube app have to either samsung memo, hangouts or spotify as one of those are causeing the issue. I assume other core samsung or google apps would have the same effect if i remove them aswell. I decompiled the apps and tired searching in the manifests but couldnt find anything. So i guess ill have to settle for disabling the system apps i dont want for now.

Last flash was twrp latest version and supersu r5 that was all. No need for the encryption stuff .

Last edited:

styropian

Aug 4, 2012
Toronto
No that won't be possible. You can't cross flash firmwares. It's not only a software thing it's also a hardware issue, the radios are different on the g935f

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

You could probably flash the xac firmware since its the unbranded g935w8

Hi, by flashing xac firmware with odin will all stays the same only courier bloatware will go? not knox or.....else will change?Volte and Samsung pay wont be effected?Anything else I need to know to proceed?
What I'm reading it's best way to get rid of bloatware without rooting.

ma678

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hi, by flashing xac firmware with odin will all stays the same only courier bloatware will go? not knox or.....else will change?Volte and Samsung pay wont be effected?Anything else I need to know to proceed?
What I'm reading it's best way to get rid of bloatware without rooting.
All Canadian firmware is the same. You need to change CSC to xac before flashing fw to get rid of bloatware.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrEdge

Mar 2, 2013
Just got a new OTA (G935W8VLS3CRG2). Hopefully I won't be getting notification sounds in the morning from Do Not Disturb period anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A user on reddit found a way to change CSC for people with XAC without rooting. Just put in *#243203855# on the phone menu and it gives you the option to change to other carriers.
    Hey boys, is there a way to root our S7 edges without tripping knox? Or alternatively is there a way of unrooting if I ever needed to send the phone in to get fixed?

http://bfy.tw/Ab8j :highfive::good:
    You guys gimp the security, speed, and reliability of your phone and encourage others to do the same; it's sickening. His question didn't even have anything to do with rooting.

I've rooted phones for years but it doesn't feel nearly as necessary as it used to. Not to mention all of the problems that result from it: no Samsung pay, unencrypted internal storage, no Knox, slower boot time, random reboots, increased memory usage, and incompatible or poorly tested xposed modules can cause a myriad of bugs.

The level of dillusion is insane in this community.

No issues here. Samsung Pay is not even available in Canada yet, and I'm happy using my credit cards regardless.
    Boot time has not increased at all, memory usage is the same, don't care too much for knox.
    Please also note that Xposed isn't the only thing that can be done after rooting. Having the ability to remove system apps, and having access to root functions and folders is never a bad thing.

Also, no one is forcing you to do it, so chill out.
    I'm sure when someone decides to root, they will end up doing some research on it, and they can decide for themselves if they want to do it or not... no one is holding a gun to their head lol.
    I'm happy with ClearPlex film protector from BestBuy stores. $29.99 + tax lifetime warranty. Anytime it peels off or it gets damaged you go back to the store with the receipt and they put a new one on. It does not cover from edge to edge. There is a 1-2 mm gap between the film and the edge end the ear piece and home button are only enclosed on three sides. The tech said that if the film would go more towards the curved sides it would peel off so they are aware about the limitations of edge screen and their product. After 1 month absolutely no problem. Install was great with no bubbles and no lint underneath. They have a machine that does it. It seems to be wet application and the screen is self healing. They have two flavors. On our device they apply the ULTRA one which it's been said to be HD. If feels just a little bit rubbery but way less than others. The touch sensitivity is great though.
    Give it a try.

What are you guys using for screen protector, I know decent tempered glass is not possible and probably will not be for a long time but looking for a decent film. Don't care about the orange peal effect, I care more about the ease of bubble free installation

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Lol. You literally had to draw me a picture ? Thanks bro. Much appreciated. So I have to go on that site. Outside of xda right. I signed up and the said someone would review my application. They must me screening for trolls or something.

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Can't view thread.
    As of 10 May 2016 registrations will no longer be automatic and open. In order to be a member of this forum you will have to be referred to one of the Echoe team members by another member of the forum who has been a member for a minimum of 3 months.…

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers mobile app
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=52667
    Get roms from there. V11 is latest one.

Sent from my Pebble Time