Canadian S7/S7 Edge thread!

Search This thread

Jotamide

Feb 27, 2012
My dad got the Samsung Galaxy S7 back in May and wanted to SIM unlock it shortly after because he travels a lot due to work. No rooting, just unlocking the phone to use with foreign carriers. At the time, he went to a local store that provided him with a code but it wouldn't work, they told him something along the lines of "this phone is too new and cannot be unlocked yet". I was really busy at the time so I couldn't provide more assistance unfortunately. He phoned Rogers (his phone provider) and was told that they could provide him directly with an unlocking code but he had to wait 3 months from the time of the purchase. He thought that was a much safer way to do it, so he waited.

Fast forward to now, and the code he was given wouldn't work. According to him, even after following the steps in this page from Rogers he gets a message that says "INCORRECT NETWORK UNLOCK ENTERED". He also attempted to get it unlocked at a local store (from the foreign country he's currently working at) to no avail. I believe they even tried a factory reset, and the SIM unlock still wouldn't go through. As time goes by he is getting more frustrated and I don't know how to help since we're in different countries. Is the phone hardlocked after many unsuccessful attempts? Can such a thing occur even after a factory reset? Also, do you think it would be possible to get the phone sent to warranty for this problem?

Last edited:

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
My dad got the Samsung Galaxy S7 back in May and wanted to SIM unlock it shortly after because he travels a lot due to work. No rooting, just unlocking the phone to use with foreign carriers. At the time, he went to a local store that provided him with a code but it wouldn't work, they told him something along the lines of "this phone is too new and cannot be unlocked yet". I was really busy at the time so I couldn't provide more assistance unfortunately. He phoned Rogers (his phone provider) and was told that they could provide him directly with an unlocking code but he had to wait 3 months from the time of the purchase. He thought that was a much safer way to do it, so he waited.

Fast forward to now, and the code he was given wouldn't work. According to him, even after following the steps in this page from Rogers he gets a message that says "INCORRECT NETWORK UNLOCK ENTERED". He also attempted to get it unlocked at a local store (from the foreign country he's currently working at) to no avail. I believe they even tried a factory reset, and the SIM unlock still wouldn't go through. As time goes by he is getting more frustrated and I don't know how to help since we're in different countries. Is the phone hardlocked after many unsuccessful attempts? Can such a thing occur even after a factory reset? Also, do you think it would be possible to get the phone sent to warranty for this problem?
I always use ebay for unlock codes and have never had one fail me. And I've never had to wait any length of time before codes work. The phone being too new isn't something that should be an issue unless the carrier is doing something weird. Whether using a carrier provided code or that from a 3rd party, video the code attempt so you have proof of a code not working and be absolutely sure not to enter a wrong code too many times. This can permanent lock the device to its original carrier.http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272217490583

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

oildale

Jun 16, 2013
Vancouver
Currently on Rogers with an S5 and thinking about upgrading my phone finally. What's the current state of Canuck S7s? When rooted it looks like we really only have TW rom options?

Autokinesis

Aug 27, 2016
I'm on the July patch with Fido CSC on my unlocked S7, no battery drains, I usually get about 5 hours of SOT.
The only issue I'm having is that sometimes when I press the power or home button to wake the screen, the lockscreen get stuck and does not respond... sometimes it fix itself if I wait for a few seconds but other times I have to manually restart the phone with Power Button + Volume Down. The phone is stock, never been rooted, this happens on safe mode as well. I tried everything but no luck. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out please.

Cheers

dreckis604

May 3, 2008
hi guys. recently upgraded to Galaxy s7 from rogers and just arrived in Italy. unlocked my phone without any issues prior to my arrival bUT I've been having issues with it prior to my departure and while I've been here in Rome. before my departure I noticed my data connection would drop and I'd have to reboot for it to be restored. I thought it might be the sim card but it's also happening here as well. also having massive issues with the compass. if I restart my phone it has to be recalibrated through the service sensor menu before it works. once it's calibrated it works no problem.

I feel like these could potentially be software related so just wanted to ask xda their thoughts. would you do a factory reset ? reinstall the rom through Odin? if i factory reset and refash stock rogers rom through Odin will I trip knox? wanted to try this first before sending it in for service

i no longer have a backup phone .

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
hi guys. recently upgraded to Galaxy s7 from rogers and just arrived in Italy. unlocked my phone without any issues prior to my arrival bUT I've been having issues with it prior to my departure and while I've been here in Rome. before my departure I noticed my data connection would drop and I'd have to reboot for it to be restored. I thought it might be the sim card but it's also happening here as well. also having massive issues with the compass. if I restart my phone it has to be recalibrated through the service sensor menu before it works. once it's calibrated it works no problem.

I feel like these could potentially be software related so just wanted to ask xda their thoughts. would you do a factory reset ? reinstall the rom through Odin? if i factory reset and refash stock rogers rom through Odin will I trip knox? wanted to try this first before sending it in for service

i no longer have a backup phone .
Your data drop seems to be quite a common problem. I experience it daily, usually multiple times with Rogers.

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC

dreckis604

May 3, 2008

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
can I flash this on rogers with no issues ? I sim unlocked my phone. also will this trip knox
The other option is if you are rooted, you can use a root browser to go to /system/csc , open others.xml and look for the system ui features entries, it will have the toggles such as WiFi,MobileHotSpot etc. at the end, there is SFinder. Right after that and add ,MobileData , be sure that you add the comma and make sure M and D are capitalized. You may have to do the same for the various other CSC folders in there for different carriers. Unfortunately, in order for this to stick, you will need to go into recovery mode, (up volume, home, power at same time) and do a factory reset. You'll have to load all you apps and settings again, but you'll have your toggle.

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
The other option is if you are rooted, you can use a root browser to go to /system/csc , open others.xml and look for the system ui features entries, it will have the toggles such as WiFi,MobileHotSpot etc. at the end, there is SFinder. Right after that and add ,MobileData , be sure that you add the comma and make sure M and D are capitalized. You may have to do the same for the various other CSC folders in there for different carriers. Unfortunately, in order for this to stick, you will need to go into recovery mode, (up volume, home, power at same time) and do a factory reset. You'll have to load all you apps and settings again, but you'll have your toggle.
You absolutely don't have to do factory reset.
3 ways of going about it.

If you never changed order of toggles from stock, it should stick and show after reboot.

You can do a settings reset (from your phone settings rather than 3 finger salute recovery), which is much easier to setup again in few minutes.

Or you could do a clear data from system_ui app in application manager, it which case you only have to restore wallpaper, or theme at worst.

The unrooted way (above) is the worst (with partial firmware flash) , if you're rogers / Fido Customer, as you'll lose volte/VoWiFi

Last edited:

insistent

Feb 21, 2011
I have a virgin galaxy s7, without any extra protection, and i wanna root my s7 to use my ps3/ps4 controller for gear vr.
Does it worth tripping knox for it?

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
I have a virgin galaxy s7, without any extra protection, and i wanna root my s7 to use my ps3/ps4 controller for gear vr.
Does it worth tripping knox for it?

You can get bluetooth controllers on ebay for around $20-30 and they'll work perfectly, no need to root and waste warranty for that.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Is the Rogers device using Snapdragon? Anyone have a link to a Rogers rom?

The S7's snapdragon lol?

That's a negative ghost rider, exynos 8890 and that was the only option in Canada. Thats sorta common knowledge at this point in the game.

We did get screwed on the note 7 though it was snapdragon

That said If you dont know what chipset is in your device Id maybe hold back on flashing anything until you up your knowledge base somewhat.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Idan73

FirstNoobToBrickHisPhone

Sep 15, 2009
The S7's snapdragon lol?

That's a negative ghost rider, exynos 8890 and that was the only option in Canada. Thats sorta common knowledge at this point in the game.

We did get screwed on the note 7 though it was snapdragon

That said If you dont know what chipset is in your device Id maybe hold back on flashing anything until you up your knowledge base somewhat.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk 2
CPU x says its snapdragon 820.

I didn't want exynos because of the poor community support there was for note3 exynos.

I'm trying to get rid of the annoying Samsung DM popup which is probably because I'm using a sprint device with a rogers carrier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can confirm that the Nougat update from OnTheEdgeLite ROM works perfectly fine on G930W8! You do get the occasional BadgeProvider FC, but all features I went through has worked. Also Marshmallow CSC does work too so if you flash that before you boot, you should proper signal.

Be aware that when flashing the beta is your TWRP will complain about not mounting data and internal storage so you will need to follow the TWRP recovery instructions to get that working using dm-verify.
    Rogers just updated their site to say that nougat is coming soon http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/OSUpgrades/thread-id/1

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg
    I'm looking to upgrade to the Note 8 so will probably give the S7 to either my wife or daughter. Neither are much into phone customization, etc - so decided to downgrade to Marshmallow to reset the phone and then let it OTA through all the updates to get back to latest release from Rogers.

Flashed 6.0 Rom through Odin, same as usual - have the APK3 - RWC CSC - version downloaded from Sammmobile. When it booted up, noticed that it has the XAC CSC. I booted into recovery, factory reset, then flashed again. Still XAC ? This package used to install the RWC CSC ?

Guessing that I'm doing something wrong ? I initially flashed with CSC_OYA, and have now tried both CSC_OYA and CSC_HOME.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Did some searching and found the solution. Ticked the repartition option in Odin to remove and conflicts with CSC. Flashed the stock 6.0 again without issue. Maybe this can help someone else.

Cheers !

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    ROGERS QH1 August 1st patch this AM.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone