Canadian v522 custom support?

Search This thread

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
I'm getting a tablet from Rogers this week so I'm doing some research
To see what kind of support there is for customization of the v522 lg g pad 3 8.0

Can we root it?
Custom recovery?
Any roms that are compatible across models?

Thanks for any info
What I have read so far is a bit old and confusing (calling the Canadiann model 521 not 522 etc)

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
This website claims that it is rootable... but i trust xda a not random websites found with Google

Can any one report if this works?
(I would try it myself but my tablet is a gift and I don't have a receipt for warranty(and it's a hour drive to anywhere that might warranty it from my small town ))

https://giveawaytricks.in/root-install-twrp-recovery-lg-g-pad-x-8-0/

PREREQUISITE TO ROOT AND INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY FOR LG G PAD X 8.0 :

This TWRP is for LG G Pad X 8.0 (V521, V522, V525)
You need a Laptop or PC
Charge your phone to at least 70%

It has downloads. For the 521 tmobile rom which they claim you can install on the 522 and 525
And twrp for the 521 also they claim you should use flashify to install the recovery.

Now I know lots of devices can use other similar model recovery and roms..
But I trust xda to verify and lead the way for custom devices not a web site like this.

This post on xda mentions that the boot loader for Canada is not unlockable
(If I read it right)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...guide-lg-v521-t-mobile-version-t3443747/page8

Last edited:

soneforlife

Dec 4, 2016
Was wanting to ask the same question, I looked everywhere and no clear answer? For my phones it was really straight forward and I had a redmi and lemax, not exactly the most popular phones... looks like we're out of luck?

nutpants

Feb 6, 2007
FV-british columbia
There was a new exploit found that might be used to get root.
It is called "dirty cow" now if we can get one of the wizard like developers to see if this can be used to root this device (And others that are hard to root)

Here is some more info about the dirty cow exploit.Not sure if this can be used to root the 522 or others.at least not permanently.But it might lead to a method to do so

http://androiding.how/dirty-cow-root-android/

Last edited:

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
Would be nice if 522 and 521 are compatible kind a like all those Samsung phones.

Carrier phones and tablets in the US, including Samsung phones are never compatible with other variants.
Only international Samsung phones like in the Europe or Asia may be compatible with other variants.

codenamezero

Apr 28, 2011
Carrier phones and tablets in the US, including Samsung phones are never compatible with other variants.
Only international Samsung phones like in the Europe or Asia may be compatible with other variants.

I have the Samsung S4 which had a couple of variant, mine was jtfxxx and later on able to just flash the jtflte. I'm not saying all of them would work, but normally those with only last digit differences should. There were I9500, 9509, 9506, 9515, i think they were all compatible.

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
I have the Samsung S4 which had a couple of variant, mine was jtfxxx and later on able to just flash the jtflte. I'm not saying all of them would work, but normally those with only last digit differences should. There were I9500, 9509, 9506, 9515, i think they were all compatible.
None of those are from US carriers. My point is that don't expect any US carrier devices, including Samsung devices, to be compatible with other variants or vice versa.
Also for Samsung devices, those with only last digit difference should not be compatible, as soon as they are US variants.
Like the note series, US variants N920T, N920V, N920P are not compatible with any other N920x, even though they differ by only the last digit.

If you mean custom Roms like Cyanogenmod, the developers can make one rom to fit multiple variants with same chip set. If so, it has nothing to do with LG or Samsung. CM Roms can also be compatible with multiple variants for LG devices, like the L90, even though they have completely different model numbers.

Last edited:

MrHomebrew

Apr 24, 2013
I ordered one to try it. I should get it this week.

I would appreciate it.

Based on my research our v522 has a locked bootloader.

Not one youtube video.

All research for me has pointed to it not working. Which is terrible because this device is lacking in its full potential. Was able to get adaptable storage working, make sure you have a u3 speed SD card this way apps on SD card will load faster and not lag.

KryogenikX

Apr 21, 2016
Long Island
I would appreciate it.

Not one youtube video.

All research for me has pointed to it not working. Which is terrible because this device is lacking in its full potential. Was able to get adaptable storage working, make sure you have a u3 speed SD card this way apps on SD card will load faster and not lag.

No problem and thx for the tip.

Reactions: MrHomebrew

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wondering if there is any further developments on rooting the Canadian LG Gpad III,

I too am looking at picking one of these up as they're getting pretty decent reviews and would like to root it too.
    Anything in terms of new development here?
    I would appreciate it.

Not one youtube video.

No problem and thx for the tip.
    Could you use a one click root app such as king root on this device? It worked on a previous lg device I owned with a locked boot loader.

Thats the first thing I tried. The apk and the windows app as well.
    Thank you for contacting LG regarding your LGV522.*

Regretfully we do not offer a way to unlock the bootloader on the LGV522.*

Thank you for choosing LG*
    Dave H.*
    LG Customer Service*
    LG Canada*

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android