CanBox versions

Search This thread

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
Well the biggest downside i found with my Alfa 159 Bagoo CAN box and the MTCE unit is that the incoming call pickup button always rejects the call (the AR steering wheel only has one button for pickup and reject)

I also saw that someone mentioned that they managed to get dynamic parking cam guide lines working, found it interesting as i didn't expect the steering wheel angle being transmitted)

Back a few years ago I used to have a Parrot CAN box with their handsfree and it would work perfectly with all the AR159 steering wheel functions (it even started a contact list voice search when you wanted to call someone)

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
Alfa 159 owners! Have you been able to show door status, brake, maybe ac and other information through Bagoo canbox decoder? Dimming backlit when turning up lights can work also?

Diming lights works for me on with the Bagoo box and switching to day / night mode
I don't have any app to read Door/Brake or AC info
Call pickup doesn't work correctly as it rejects incoming calls

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Well the biggest downside i found with my Alfa 159 Bagoo CAN box and the MTCE unit is that the incoming call pickup button always rejects the call (the AR steering wheel only has one button for pickup and reject)

I also saw that someone mentioned that they managed to get dynamic parking cam guide lines working, found it interesting as i didn't expect the steering wheel angle being transmitted)

Back a few years ago I used to have a Parrot CAN box with their handsfree and it would work perfectly with all the AR159 steering wheel functions (it even started a contact list voice search when you wanted to call someone)

Have you tried long pressing the button ? You can also over ride the CAN Bus and programe the SWC yourself, though I forget how now, I think you need to be using a custom ROM, but as MTCD/E units support 2 presses (long and short) on SWC buttons it deffo can be sorted.

I don't have any app to read Door/Brake or AC info

You should be getting the warnings over the screen though

Last edited:

JohnJay.

Dec 12, 2020
Is it some hidden or obscure setting in your phone, not allowing the HU to answer?

As an aside; I remember when I had just Bluetooth on my factory unit it used to cost a fortune calls going through the car??
But ok since I fitted the CC2plus 🤗

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
Have you tried long pressing the button ? You can also over ride the CAN Bus and programe the SWC yourself, though I forget how now, I think you need to be using a custom ROM, but as MTCD/E units support 2 presses (long and short) on SWC buttons it deffo can be sorted.

You should be getting the warnings over the screen though

The Long press didn't work for me, neither on the stock ROM nor on the HAL9k v4 ROM (PX5 based unit)
I recently switched to a PX6 unit, with Android 10 on it, still using the same CAN Box, with the same effect.

I could never get the SWC button programming App to work for me, no clue what I'm doing wrong.

It seems to me that the Bagoo Alfa CAN Box SW maps the call answer signal to call reject for some reason.

Both of my units came with the same Bagoo CAN Box and same SW/HW version. Did anyone seen a different CAN BOX for Alfa's (or other Fiat brand cars?)

Is it perhaps something that can be configured in the factory settings menu?

Last edited:

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
Is it some hidden or obscure setting in your phone, not allowing the HU to answer?

As an aside; I remember when I had just Bluetooth on my factory unit it used to cost a fortune calls going through the car??
But ok since I fitted the CC2plus 🤗

Well you can answer on the HU, just not with the Steering Wheel button ;)

Unfortunately not dedicated Teyes units for Alfa's and im stuck to Rockchip or AC8257 basd units

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
The Long press didn't work for me, neither on the stock ROM nor on the HAL9k v4 ROM (PX5 based unit)
I recently switched to a PX6 unit, with Android 10 on it, still using the same CAN Box, with the same effect.

I could never get the SWC button programming App to work for me, no clue what I'm doing wrong.

It seems to me that the Bagoo Alfa CAN Box SW maps the call answer signal to call reject for some reason.

Both of my units came with the same Bagoo CAN Box and same SW/HW version. Did anyone seen a different CAN BOX for Alfa's (or other Fiat brand cars?)

Is it perhaps something that can be configured in the factory settings menu?

The CAN Bus is controlled by the MCU so what SoM you have wont change anything. As I said you can remap SWC buttons - normally you cant if you have CAN Bus but there deffo is a way to over ride this, you need to search in the forum for how to do it as this is the solution to your problem. ALL MTCD/E units are short & long press compatible, if theres no long press set on the phone button, when youve found how to remap the SWC by searching the forums, map short press to one function and long press to the other then you can answer and end calls using the same button.

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
So today i did a bit more research in the factory mode. Turned out that the CAN Box is NOT configured under can settings.
The issue is that if i attempt to select the correct Bagoo Alfa CAN Box type, the SWC's stop working completely.
There are 4x "types" that can be selected but none of them worked at all (nor did they allow for SWC key programming).
Any idea what could be the problem here

MCU is MTCE_LY_V3.52_1

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
On some cars you have a CAN Bus box but you select "none" under CAN Bus in factory settings.

I have told you how to sort the problem and it is not in factory settings.

Your MCU version is irrelevant.

If you want to sort your problem then follow the advice I gave you earlier - search the XDA MTCD forum (using the forum search or google) for how to change SWC functions on cars with CAN Bus., as I said, pretty sure you need a custom ROM, it may involve MTCD tools, but there is deffo a thread on it and when you find it its highly likely that I have posted in it.

Reactions: marchnz

noe9

Sep 13, 2010
On some cars you have a CAN Bus box but you select "none" under CAN Bus in factory settings.

I have told you how to sort the problem and it is not in factory settings.

Your MCU version is irrelevant.

If you want to sort your problem then follow the advice I gave you earlier - search the XDA MTCD forum (using the forum search or google) for how to change SWC functions on cars with CAN Bus., as I said, pretty sure you need a custom ROM, it may involve MTCD tools, but there is deffo a thread on it and when you find it its highly likely that I have posted in it.
So yes, i finally got around and found the time to play more with the HU.
I installed the recent 1.10 version of MTCE Tools to look what possibilities of re-mapping i have.
The issue i found is that basically out of the 4 buttons that i need to fix:
- Two of them are not being read at all (skip / previous)
- Call answer & Voice control are both read as code 317
- Call answer - No difference between long press & short press (code 317 will be sent multiple times)

So the best thing i can try given the above is to potentially re-map code 317 to answer call vs. reject call.

The factory settings as you mentioned in your post above are set to "NO CANBUS"; as selecting the Alfa Bagoo BOX disables SWC control completely.

So now my question is this a limitation of he Bagoo box / FW?

Whats interesting is that @SJ1977 claims that he managed to get all the buttons working with a CTSAR002.2 CanBus adapter:

Any thoughts or am i missing something ?

Attachments

• Alfa_159_SWC_Can_Keys.jpg
    Alfa_159_SWC_Can_Keys.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 13

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
Hi pals... I need your help. I bought a head unit from China. In Android Head Unit the application Wheelkey Study nothing appear, only save and reset button in the right top side. A-MEDIA AUTO Android 10. You can see the photo. ALFA ROMEO GT my car. I have the same Canbus with the friend with Alfa Romeo 159

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
I have an Alfa GT as well. The GT (and 147) has CAN Bus, but it has resistive steering wheel controls, the 159 has CAN Bus and the steering wheel controls are CAN Bus too. The CAN Bus you are using is really meant for an Alfa 159, not the Alfa GT (or 147). I use this CAN Bus box too because it also works with most of the functions on the GT, but not all functions because it is meant for the 159. You need to use @Hal9k_'s cutom ROM (you may have to downgrade to Android 9 until his 10 is ready) because his ROM lets you over ride the CAN Bus steering wheel controls - at the moment they are set to CAN Bus controls because it is an Alfa 159 box you are using.

Reactions: hortar and marchnz

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
I have an Alfa GT as well. The GT (and 147) has CAN Bus, but it has resistive steering wheel controls, the 159 has CAN Bus and the steering wheel controls are CAN Bus too. The CAN Bus you are using is really meant for an Alfa 159, not the Alfa GT (or 147). I use this CAN Bus box too because it also works with most of the functions on the GT, but not all functions because it is meant for the 159. You need to use @Hal9k_'s cutom ROM (you may have to downgrade to Android 9 until his 10 is ready) because his ROM lets you over ride the CAN Bus steering wheel controls - at the moment they are set to CAN Bus controls because it is an Alfa 159 box you are using.
Τhe problem is that the steering wheel controls do not appear on the screen Android 10, PX5 (4 + 64). While the screen works very well in all other functions. The point is to show the indications on the screen and then I think I have to see everything else

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
I know what the problem is and in my last message I told you why you are having the problem and how to sort it out. You will probably have to rewire the key 1 and key 2 buttons as well if they are connected to the CAN Bus decoder.

Reactions: hortar

jlbooth

Feb 5, 2013
OnePlus 6T
You can set the steering wheel keys on the factory firmware and no rewiring. Don't need a custom ROM either.

Go into factory settings look on the very last group of settings on the far right (I believe it's Other I'm not in car at moment, going from my memory on this). There should be an option for Steering Wheel keys with 2 possible choices - SWC Key and CAN Key. Yours is probably set to SWC Key. You may need to scroll in the settings to find it.

Choose the opposite setting of what yours is set to. Touch Apply and then Exit. System will reboot. When system comes back up, go back into Wheelkey Study and try pressing one of your steering wheel buttons. You should be able to pick what setting you want to associate with the steering wheel key you pressed.

I know the CAN Key setting seems backwards but I can say with confidence that I am able to change my SWC controls after changing that setting. And yes I do have a Canbus box on my system. They made so counter intuitive to setup the steering wheel keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: hortar

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
What MCU do you have ? Cos I ve not seen that setting before, thinking it may be a new one in later MCUs, unless I ve missed it.

I think he will still probably need to rewire the key 1 and key 2 wires to get it to work though as theyll be wired to the CAN Bus decoder and not the factory loom.

jlbooth

Feb 5, 2013
OnePlus 6T
I am running 3.71 - the latest Dasaita MCU update. I was thinking the same thing OR I was going to accept the default SWC setup provided as stock. I wanted to change the voice command button so could use Google assistant.

Was thinking about making a YouTube video on this as I was kind of in the same boat with the WheelKey Study app not allowing me to do anything with the keys. I can get pictures of exactly where in the settings I'm referring to.

jlbooth

Feb 5, 2013
OnePlus 6T
Also I am pretty sure I had the setting with 3.67 which is what the unit came with. Can remember seeing the setting when I installed the radio a couple months ago.

Plus agree that rewiring probably would work too, but if there's an easier way maybe...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @hortar if you do not connect the Canbus box, you will not see the car door open, air conditioning, etc indicators on the screen. It is not clear what you mean by controls on the screen.

Maybe I misunderstand what it is you are asking but I'm thinking that you're asking what will work if you connect everything except the Canbus box? Would like to help you but I'm not completely understanding what it is that you want to know.
    Youre kinda of right - if the unit is set to no CAN Bus (ie universal units and even some cars with CAN Bus eg Megane 2 & BMW E46) or to a CAN Bus car that has resistive SWC the SWC app works and the SWC setting is automatically set to allow SWC butttons to be changed.

Its whether they can be changed on a car that has resistive SWC and a CAN Bus box not designed for it like @hortar and my cars without the key wires being connected. I ll try in a few days, maybe @hortar can let us know if his works and whether the key wires have to be connected or not.
    I know what the problem is and in my last message I told you why you are having the problem and how to sort it out. You will probably have to rewire the key 1 and key 2 buttons as well if they are connected to the CAN Bus decoder.
    Youve posted in Greek !!

Did you read my earlier post on how to get yours working ?

I can see that the red socket has the pins in the incorrect place, they should be in the middle plug not the end plug, see the diagram I posted earlier.
    I know there are a lot of versions of CanBox but it's hard to find a bit more information (except some photos). So I decided to do a small reverse engineering of my version.
    Someone will ask for what? Out of curiosity. Maybe will be helpful for someone in the future. Maybe someone will share what version he has.
    But most of all because maybe someone has a firmware for the MCU? Maybe @hotaudio has such firmware (bin file or CANBUS.UPDE file) to any version of Canbox and help us? :) For educational purposes, of course.

That's how my CanBox looks like
    MyCanBox.jpg

This is the effect of my reverse engineering:
    16_Pin_Box_HW2.jpg

16_Pin_Box_HW2all.jpg

I attached schematic diagram in PDF and schematic/pcb made in KiCAD (ver4 and ver5)

And here other photos of CanBoxes what I found
    CanBox1.jpg

CanBox2.jpg

CanBox3.jpg
    @hortar if you do not connect the Canbus box, you will not see the car door open, air conditioning, etc indicators on the screen. It is not clear what you mean by controls on the screen.

Maybe I misunderstand what it is you are asking but I'm thinking that you're asking what will work if you connect everything except the Canbus box? Would like to help you but I'm not completely understanding what it is that you want to know.
    Youre kinda of right - if the unit is set to no CAN Bus (ie universal units and even some cars with CAN Bus eg Megane 2 & BMW E46) or to a CAN Bus car that has resistive SWC the SWC app works and the SWC setting is automatically set to allow SWC butttons to be changed.

Its whether they can be changed on a car that has resistive SWC and a CAN Bus box not designed for it like @hortar and my cars without the key wires being connected. I ll try in a few days, maybe @hortar can let us know if his works and whether the key wires have to be connected or not.
    A bit offtopic Maybe but do you know a place where yoù can buy the canbus decoder boxes. I have some trouble with mine. I get information from the car but I don't have any sound at all from the little speaker. So no sound from parking sensors, blinking left/right etc.
    My car is a opel astra j and I got this canbus. The unit is a px5 from witson.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone