CanBox versions

Search This thread

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
[USER = 8854159] @ PoppaRoxie1986 [/ USER], ήμουν εξίσου μπερδεμένος με αυτό που ρωτούσε. Λοιπόν, είχα σχεδόν την ίδια ερώτηση που θα ήθελα να κάνω [USER = 11529589] @hortar [/ USER]. Ναι θα ήθελα κι εγώ να βοηθήσω αν μπορώ.

Thank you very much for your help so far. I believe from what I managed to translate, that I found the solution. I will inform you immediately. Although I think the problem is that the KEY 1 and KEY 2 are connected to the steering wheel cables.

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    I tried mine yesterday - 2008 Alfa GT - as I said earlier SWC will only work with the key 1 & 2 wires connected to the middle green plug (wiring diagram attached pins C10/11/12)), without them connected it doesnt work, this is for reasons I stated in my first reply to you - 147s and GT are CAN Bus cars but they have resistive steering wheel controls, there is some info online saying that later 147s & GTs have CAN Bus SWC, but this is INCORRECT, it is probably this incorrect info which led the manufacturer to wire 147/GT units up for CAN Bus SWC and with these cars not being available in China they had no way to test. You leave connect the CAN Bus box connected and just wire the SWC to the yellow plug, change the SWC setting in factory settings and everything works - you can set the SWC in the wheelstudy app and you get all door open warnings and temp display on screen etc. If you dont have a seperate ground for the key 1 & 2 wires then connect the C12 pin to the main ground on the radio harness.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-04-04 12-36-22.png
      Screenshot from 2021-04-04 12-36-22.png
      416 KB · Views: 86

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
    I tried mine yesterday - 2008 Alfa GT - as I said earlier SWC will only work with the key 1 & 2 wires connected to the middle green plug (wiring diagram attached pins C10/11/12)), without them connected it doesnt work, this is for reasons I stated in my first reply to you - 147s and GT are CAN Bus cars but they have resistive steering wheel controls, there is some info online saying that later 147s & GTs have CAN Bus SWC, but this is INCORRECT, it is probably this incorrect info which led the manufacturer to wire 147/GT units up for CAN Bus SWC and with these cars not being available in China they had no way to test. You leave connect the CAN Bus box connected and just wire the SWC to the yellow plug, change the SWC setting in factory settings and everything works - you can set the SWC in the wheelstudy app and you get all door open warnings and temp display on screen etc. If you dont have a seperate ground for the key 1 & 2 wires then connect the C12 pin to the main ground on the radio harness.
    Υou are absolutely right. This is the point.

e will see it tomorrow with the engineer

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    @typos1 so would that mean that key 1 connects to C10 and key 2 would connect to C11? It looks like they have separated the phone control buttons from the radio control buttons on the harness. So it's not clear which pins are needed on the green plug. Do all of your steering wheel keys work as expected?

This thread was originally about Canbus box variants and now it's morphing or already has morphed into a discussion about SWC. Lol

Reactions: hortar

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    The phone wires are for pre Bluetooth aftermarket phone integration (the 147 and GT came out in 2000 & 2003 respectively, long before BT was a thing), so nothing to do with SWC (and nothing to do with the built in phone/nav unit that was avaiiable from the factory either). The pins needed for SWC are C10, C11 and C12, so yes key 1 = C10 and key 2 = C11, obviously this only applies to these cars (and possibly the closely related but non CAN Bus Alfa 156 too).

The SWC have to be programmed in the wheelstudy app, so they do work "as expected" cos it was me who set them !

• Love

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    Cool. Was just curious and maybe the information might be useful for someone here with same make/model car as you. I figured all of your SWC keys worked as expected but again the confirmation might be useful to others.

Did you (@typos1) experiment with that factory option and see if it matters which setting is chosen and whether Wheelkey study would allow assigning or not for your setup? Again I'm not completely certain that Canbus is a variable with respect to the setting in my instructional. Will update the writeup if indeed we find it is just a write enable/read only kind of thing in either case Canbus or resistive SWC.

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
    Cool. Was just curious and maybe the information might be useful for someone here with same make/model car as you. I figured all of your SWC keys worked as expected but again the confirmation might be useful to others.

Did you (@typos1) experiment with that factory option and see if it matters which setting is chosen and whether Wheelkey study would allow assigning or not for your setup? Again I'm not completely certain that Canbus is a variable with respect to the setting in my instructional. Will update the writeup if indeed we find it is just a write enable/read only kind of thing in either case Canbus or resistive SWC.
    @jbooth this is my thought, too

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    When doing things this way the SWC have to be set, without setting them they do not do anything.

Yes it does matter which setting is chosen - if its set to allow user setting of SWC it does, if set to not allow it does not allow and in mine and @hortar's case that will means no SWC.

A friend has a Megane 2 and he cannot manually set his SWC at all, whatever setting it is on, althoguh I think he may have a bug in his unit.

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    Right so with setting to "Can key" means you can set/change and if set to "SWC key" means you cannot? Is there yet another setting on yours of "not allow?" I'm a little (lot) confused.

I may remove the mention of Canbus in my thread or at least remove from the thread title.

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    Its always been the case that if you have CAN Bus SWC or CAN Bus with resistive SWC that come preset by the units manufacturer you cannot change them . . . unless, as you discovered, you go into factory settings and change the setting to allow changing them (or whatever they label the function - see our previous discussion re wrong way round naming by the manufacturers), there are only 2 settings for SWC.

The exception to this is Alfa 147 and GT units that incorrectly come wired for CAN Bus SWC like @hortar's unit.

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
    You are absolutely right. This is the point.
    I will see it tomorrow with the engineer
    Έχετε απόλυτο δίκιο. Αυτό είναι το σημείο.

Θα το δω αύριο με τον μηχανικό
    Unfortunately, the engineer could not find a solution. Can you show me in a diagram how to connect? However, I have no indication on the central unit display from the controls to be able to adjust it.

Δυστυχώς, ο μηχανικός δεν μπόρεσε να βρει λύση. Μπορείτε να μου δείξετε σε ένα διάγραμμα πώς γίνεται η σύνδεση; Ωστόσο, δεν έχω καμία ένδειξη στην οθόνη της κεντρικής μονάδας από τα χειριστήρια για να μπορέσω να τη ρυθμίσω.

Attachments

• H61eb1e8175c84e6db2b39a0641c5f65bf.webp
      127.8 KB · Views: 26
    • Ha2802b0d010842d5b15c62d4d1f926beU.webp
      67.5 KB · Views: 10
    • Hbec64d62f02b40bcbb197ca525f0597aA.webp
      76.4 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited by a moderator:

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    Youve posted in Greek !!

Did you read my earlier post on how to get yours working ?

I can see that the red socket has the pins in the incorrect place, they should be in the middle plug not the end plug, see the diagram I posted earlier.

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
    Youve posted in Greek !!

Did you read my earlier post on how to get yours working ?

I can see that the red socket has the pins in the incorrect place, they should be in the middle plug not the end plug, see the diagram I posted earlier.
    I apologize. I am very upset because they do not find a solution, not even professionals. I have reservations about how professional they are. I will try to solve the problem by changing the position of the pins on the red wire. Thank you again for your advice. The truth is that I do not know much about electronic connections and I am probably wrong. Again, I apologize for the Greek language

typos1

• Apr 3, 2007
    UK
    No probs, my 2008 car works with the pins the way I have told you, so did my 4 earlier cars (2003, 2004 and 2x 2008), let me know how you get on.

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
    No probs, my 2008 car works with the pins the way I have told you, so did my 4 earlier cars (2003, 2004 and 2x 2008), let me know how you get on.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart to you and to the other members. you were absolutely right, that the problem is in the pins of the connection cables. It was so simple and I finally made it and the steering wheel controls work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210521-100254_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20210521-100254_Facebook.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 13
    • Screenshot_20210521-100304_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20210521-100304_Facebook.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 13
    • Screenshot_20210521-100310_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20210521-100310_Facebook.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart to you and to the other members. you were absolutely right, that the problem is in the pins of the connection cables. It was so simple and I finally made it and the steering wheel controls work.
      Cool, glad you got it sorted ! :)
      Glad it is now working for you @hortar. I enjoy seeing success stories here in the forums. Thank you so much for reporting back.
      Glad it is now working for you @hortar. I enjoy seeing success stories here in the forums. Thank you so much for reporting back.
      You are amazing. Thank you
      I know there are a lot of versions of CanBox but it's hard to find a bit more information (except some photos). So I decided to do a small reverse engineering of my version.
      Someone will ask for what? Out of curiosity. Maybe will be helpful for someone in the future. Maybe someone will share what version he has.
      But most of all because maybe someone has a firmware for the MCU? Maybe @hotaudio has such firmware (bin file or CANBUS.UPDE file) to any version of Canbox and help us? :) For educational purposes, of course.

That's how my CanBox looks like
      MyCanBox.jpg

This is the effect of my reverse engineering:
      16_Pin_Box_HW2.jpg

16_Pin_Box_HW2all.jpg

I attached schematic diagram in PDF and schematic/pcb made in KiCAD (ver4 and ver5)

And here other photos of CanBoxes what I found
      CanBox1.jpg

CanBox2.jpg

CanBox3.jpg
      @hortar if you do not connect the Canbus box, you will not see the car door open, air conditioning, etc indicators on the screen. It is not clear what you mean by controls on the screen.

Maybe I misunderstand what it is you are asking but I'm thinking that you're asking what will work if you connect everything except the Canbus box? Would like to help you but I'm not completely understanding what it is that you want to know.
      Youre kinda of right - if the unit is set to no CAN Bus (ie universal units and even some cars with CAN Bus eg Megane 2 & BMW E46) or to a CAN Bus car that has resistive SWC the SWC app works and the SWC setting is automatically set to allow SWC butttons to be changed.

Its whether they can be changed on a car that has resistive SWC and a CAN Bus box not designed for it like @hortar and my cars without the key wires being connected. I ll try in a few days, maybe @hortar can let us know if his works and whether the key wires have to be connected or not.
      I have an Alfa GT as well. The GT (and 147) has CAN Bus, but it has resistive steering wheel controls, the 159 has CAN Bus and the steering wheel controls are CAN Bus too. The CAN Bus you are using is really meant for an Alfa 159, not the Alfa GT (or 147). I use this CAN Bus box too because it also works with most of the functions on the GT, but not all functions because it is meant for the 159. You need to use @Hal9k_'s cutom ROM (you may have to downgrade to Android 9 until his 10 is ready) because his ROM lets you over ride the CAN Bus steering wheel controls - at the moment they are set to CAN Bus controls because it is an Alfa 159 box you are using.