• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

CanBox versions

Search This thread

hortar

Mar 31, 2021
Hi everyone

It is a very interesting thread that can solve many problems for many people.

I have been trying to troubleshoot problems with my Alfa 159 for a long time.

I have doubts, please I hope you can kindly help me:
1- The canbus box, should I remove it?
2- Key1 to C10 - Key2 to C11 - GND (signal earth) to C12 in alfa 156, but in alfa 159, is it the same?
3- Would it be possible to configure door opening, battery, temperature, or exclusively SWC?
3- Edit: I understand key1 key 2 only SWC. Canbus: temperature, doors, a/c...

@typos1 , Do you happy with canbus box bagoo alfa-bg-01 in alfa 159? Show doors, temperature, battery... in alfa 159? Do you need plug wire key1 and key2 for SWC with this canbox?
Would someone be so kind as to point me out where I could buy it?

Thank you very much and congratulations for the great thread worked

Edit 17/10/2021 16:52:
Surprise! I have removed the radio and I have the canbus bagoo Alfa box.

Maybe it is badly wired, if not I do not understand anything. I have taken pictures of the connections and the diagram of the radio.
I have only found the key1 cable unconnected. I understand that the key2 must be plugged into the canbus box but I'm not sure.

I read in the thread to user @ Pachis83: "I only had to re-arrange the unit connector pinout, respecting the original schema for my unit, and setting the right canbus box model type in the factory settings"

I hope someone can help me please.

Thank you very much again

Dear friend, I answer in order: 1. In my car, I took out the canbus box. If you see the video I have uploaded, it does not even exist in the settings. I think you are not pulling from the canbus box wiring but directly behind the radio. 2. I do not know how to answer you about the series of cables, (but I think so) because a sound engineer did it for me. 3. I had asked if I could have these functions too, but my engineer rejected them, saying they were difficult and dangerous. I hope, I helped you

Reactions: moreno_cos

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
Dear friend, I answer in order: 1. In my car, I took out the canbus box. If you see the video I have uploaded, it does not even exist in the settings. I think you are not pulling from the canbus box wiring but directly behind the radio. 2. I do not know how to answer you about the series of cables, (but I think so) because a sound engineer did it for me. 3. I had asked if I could have these functions too, but my engineer rejected them, saying they were difficult and dangerous. I hope, I helped you

I really appreciate the answer.

I have reached conclusions and I am learning.

I understand that I have mixed 2 processes:
Process 1- Key1 key2 resistive without canbus to be able to reassign SWC
Process 2- Configure and wire the canbus box well so that they work 100% SWC and hu show doors, temperature, a / c ...

At this time, it is of no use to configure the canbus from the factory settings. SWC works the same ( as the pictures attach 1 & 2 ) select Canbus Alfa Romeo, or Renault, or Porsche or Ford ... My hu not show any data on the screen

My car is an alfa romeo 159 year 2007. It is the same model as the user @ Pachis83. He has managed to rewire the bagoo canbus box and get 100% SWC and gate data on display.
I wish I could do the same with your help after years.

Thank you again

Edit: I found this image ( attach 3 ) on the russian forum with canbus pinout. I don't know if the canbus bagoo for alfa 159 needs to be wired the same. This is the link:

Attachments

• Circle1.jpg
    Circle1.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Circle2.jpg
    Circle2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ConexionPinesCanbus.JPG
    ConexionPinesCanbus.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: hortar

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
Hi everyone

It is a very interesting thread that can solve many problems for many people.

I have been trying to troubleshoot problems with my Alfa 159 for a long time.

I have doubts, please I hope you can kindly help me:
1- The canbus box, should I remove it?
2- Key1 to C10 - Key2 to C11 - GND (signal earth) to C12 in alfa 156, but in alfa 159, is it the same?
3- Would it be possible to configure door opening, battery, temperature, or exclusively SWC?
3- Edit: I understand key1 key 2 only SWC. Canbus: temperature, doors, a/c...

@typos1 , Do you happy with canbus box bagoo alfa-bg-01 in alfa 159? Show doors, temperature, battery... in alfa 159? Do you need plug wire key1 and key2 for SWC with this canbox?
Would someone be so kind as to point me out where I could buy it?

Thank you very much and congratulations for the great thread worked

Edit 17/10/2021 16:52:
Surprise! I have removed the radio and I have the canbus bagoo Alfa box.

Maybe it is badly wired, if not I do not understand anything. I have taken pictures of the connections and the diagram of the radio.
I have only found the key1 cable unconnected. I understand that the key2 must be plugged into the canbus box but I'm not sure.

I read in the thread to user @ Pachis83: "I only had to re-arrange the unit connector pinout, respecting the original schema for my unit, and setting the right canbus box model type in the factory settings"

I hope someone can help me please.

Thank you very much again
hi

dont connect canbus box to key1 and key2 it will do all manner of carnage to the mcu,

you need to connect canbus to can-rx and can-tx on the headunit,
which headunit is it?

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
hi

dont connect canbus box to key1 and key2 it will do all manner of carnage to the mcu,

you need to connect canbus to can-rx and can-tx on the headunit,
which headunit is it?

My auto radio version is:
px3-userdebug 7.1.2 NHG47L eng.hct20180
MTCE_XRC_V2.80_1
2Gb/ 16Gb
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Isud...452.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.215563c05GDxho

I know how I have to plug in the cables.

I just need the canbus wiring pinout. I have written to bagoo manufacturer but they have not responded.

Thank you very much

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
My auto radio version is:
px3-userdebug 7.1.2 NHG47L eng.hct20180
MTCE_XRC_V2.80_1
2Gb/ 16Gb
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Isud...452.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.215563c05GDxho

I know how I have to plug in the cables.

I just need the canbus wiring pinout. I have written to bagoo manufacturer but they have not responded.

Thank you very much
The link doesn’t work.
what make is it?
can you send a picture of the cable connected to the bagoo box?
It should be quite straight forward

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
The link does not work.
What model is it?
Can you send a picture of the cable connected to the bagoo box?
It should be pretty straightforward

Hello

I attach all the images.

I have studied the wiring of the original HU, Android HU and canbus. In my opinion:

- I need to connect Key1 for free to C11 to activate the steering wheel buttons without function
- To show the doors, the battery data on the hu screen, if the canbus scheme is the same as the picture, it may be that Can A and Can B are interconnected.
Otherwise, the canbus pinout may be wrong.

thank you very much for your help

Edit 10/25/2021:
Some wire colors do not match the Android HU diagram, but I followed the pins of the important wires and was in for a surprise:

- The Key2 cable is connected to the canbus box. (remember that Key1 is free)

I have been running tests:

1- Disconnect the cable (Blue-Green-Yellow) with pins C1-C19. In my car only pins C7-C8-C9 (green) -C6 (yellow) are available
C6 = 12v amplifier
C7 = Telephone AF +
C8 = Telephone AF-
C9 = Silence
Disconnecting this cable does not affect the operation of the radio.

2- Disconnect the Key2 pin from the canbus box (New attached diagram "Canbox_Pinout_Alfa_159")). SWCs that worked are lost: volume up / down, play next / previous, source
Important: With Key2 connected, when entering the "logcan" menu you never receive any canbus signal

3- The pins marked in the new diagram work fine. The brake I doubt that it should.

4- Tx and Rx in Android HU are well connected. But in the can bus box I don't know what its position should be.
I have disconnected k2 from the can bus box and played with the position of Rx and Tx, but when entering the factory "logcan" menu, I have never received any signal pressing buttons on the steering wheel or opening the door.

5- I have opened the canbus box: 5800-BENZBG-02 08.06.15 HW 02 (49) (attach photo)

Any ideas? Maybe I should leave K2 connected and connect Key1 to Canbus?

Attachments

• Android_Radio_Pinout.jpg
    Android_Radio_Pinout.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Canbox_Pinout_page_ru.JPG
    Canbox_Pinout_page_ru.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 22
  • ISO_Canbus_Radio.png
    ISO_Canbus_Radio.png
    416 KB · Views: 21
  • Original_Radio_Pinout.jpg
    Original_Radio_Pinout.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • wires_canbus_1.jpg
    wires_canbus_1.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 13
  • wires_canbus_2.jpg
    wires_canbus_2.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 12
  • wires_radio_android_1.jpg
    wires_radio_android_1.jpg
    10.9 MB · Views: 10
  • wires_radio_android_2.jpg
    wires_radio_android_2.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 9
  • iso1.jpg
    iso1.jpg
    10.8 MB · Views: 10
  • iso2.jpg
    iso2.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Canbox_Pinout_Alfa_159.jpg
    Canbox_Pinout_Alfa_159.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Canbus_Alfa_Bg_01_1.jpg
    Canbus_Alfa_Bg_01_1.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Canbus_Alfa_Bg_01_2.jpg
    Canbus_Alfa_Bg_01_2.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
Hello

I attach all the images.

I have studied the wiring of the original HU, Android HU and canbus. In my opinion:

- I need to connect Key1 for free to C11 to activate the steering wheel buttons without function
- To show the doors, the battery data on the hu screen, if the canbus scheme is the same as the picture, it may be that Can A and Can B are interconnected.
Otherwise, the canbus pinout may be wrong.

thank you very much for your help

Edit 10/25/2021:
Some wire colors do not match the Android HU diagram, but I followed the pins of the important wires and was in for a surprise:

- The Key2 cable is connected to the canbus box. (remember that Key1 is free)

I have been running tests:

1- Disconnect the cable (Blue-Green-Yellow) with pins C1-C19. In my car only pins C7-C8-C9 (green) -C6 (yellow) are available
C6 = 12v amplifier
C7 = Telephone AF +
C8 = Telephone AF-
C9 = Silence
Disconnecting this cable does not affect the operation of the radio.

2- Disconnect the Key2 pin from the canbus box (New attached diagram "Canbox_Pinout_Alfa_159")). SWCs that worked are lost: volume up / down, play next / previous, source
Important: With Key2 connected, when entering the "logcan" menu you never receive any canbus signal

3- The pins marked in the new diagram work fine. The brake I doubt that it should.

4- Tx and Rx in Android HU are well connected. But in the can bus box I don't know what its position should be.
I have disconnected k2 from the can bus box and played with the position of Rx and Tx, but when entering the factory "logcan" menu, I have never received any signal pressing buttons on the steering wheel or opening the door.

5- I have opened the canbus box: 5800-BENZBG-02 08.06.15 HW 02 (49) (attach photo)

Any ideas? Maybe I should leave K2 connected and connect Key1 to Canbus?
rx and tx on the canbus box go to can-rx and can-tx on HU
do not connect them to key1 or key2 or it will blow something inside its a different protocol.
can-L and can-H are from the car wiring,
i have done loads of research and it has always worked.

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
rx and tx on the canbus box go to can-rx and can-tx on HU
do not connect them to key1 or key2 or it will blow something inside its a different protocol.
can-L and can-H are from the car wiring,
i have done loads of research and it has always worked.

I don't have the canbus pinout. I don't know which pins are RX and TX.
I have written to the manufacturer but they have not provided me with the pinout

With the HU working, is it possible to access the "logcan" screen and test RX and TX on different free canbus pins?

Again I appreciate your answer, you are very kind.

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
I don't have the canbus pinout. I don't know which pins are RX and TX.
I have written to the manufacturer but they have not provided me with the pinout

With the HU working, is it possible to access the "logcan" screen and test RX and TX on different free canbus pins?

Again I appreciate your answer, you are very kind.
can you take a pic of the canbus cable plug? i might be able to deduce which one are the canbus RX & TX

usually they do need to be in the correct pin or it will blow the serial to canbus converter,

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
can you take a pic of the canbus cable plug? i might be able to deduce which one are the canbus RX & TX

usually they do need to be in the correct pin or it will blow the serial to canbus converter,

I have confirmed the cables, they are:
- HU pin 1: Can-Rx White
- HU pin 11: Can-Tx Blue

The problem is that they must be connected to the wrong pins on the canbus. The "logcan" screen never shows anything.

I have photos uploaded in the previous post ( wires_canbus_1.jpg & wires_canbus_2.jpg)

I find it strange that key2 is connected to the canbus (dark brown wire, next to the white wire). Right now, it's the wire that carries the signals from the steering wheel

thanks again

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
I have confirmed the cables, they are:
- HU pin 1: Can-Rx White
- HU pin 11: Can-Tx Blue

The problem is that they must be connected to the wrong pins on the canbus. The "logcan" screen never shows anything.

I have photos uploaded in the previous post ( wires_canbus_1.jpg & wires_canbus_2.jpg)

I find it strange that key2 is connected to the canbus (dark brown wire, next to the white wire). Right now, it's the wire that carries the signals from the steering wheel

thanks again
the canbus box doesnt provide the signals for key1/2 as they are resistive values,
i have a peugeot raise box with the same pin out, and the key1&2 are not connected.

have you selected the correct settings in factory? as that would affect what is shown in logcan

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
the canbus box doesnt provide the signals for key1/2 as they are resistive values,
i have a peugeot raise box with the same pin out, and the key1&2 are not connected.

have you selected the correct settings in factory? as that would affect what is shown in logcan
Please, Look at the 3 images that I attach. HU pinout shows pin 12 = k2
If I unplug that cable, no steering wheel control works. With it plugged in, they work partially, but "logscreen" never shows anything.

In factory settings I have selected Bagoo - 28 Alfa Romeo (my car alfa romeo 159). Even if you select any manufacturer and any canbus, "logcan" never shows anything, but the same steering wheel signals always work partially with k2 plugged in canbus.

Attachments

• cablesCanbus1.jpg
    cablesCanbus1.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 6
  • HU_Pinout.jpg
    HU_Pinout.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 6
  • wires_radio_android_Pin12.jpg
    wires_radio_android_Pin12.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 6

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
Please, Look at the 3 images that I attach. HU pinout shows pin 12 = k2
If I unplug that cable, no steering wheel control works. With it plugged in, they work partially, but "logscreen" never shows anything.

In factory settings I have selected Bagoo - 28 Alfa Romeo (my car alfa romeo 159). Even if you select any manufacturer and any canbus, "logcan" never shows anything, but the same steering wheel signals always work partially with k2 plugged in canbus.
its really confusing as the pinout shows nc from the the canbus box,
canbus does everything - steering controls and car info, you never connect both at same time, maybe the canbus box is faulty.
my peugeot 207 worked fine with just canbus- using an xtrons hu and the raise box i mentioned earlier

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
its really confusing as the pinout shows nc from the the canbus box,
canbus does everything - steering controls and car info, you never connect both at same time, maybe the canbus box is faulty.
my peugeot 207 worked fine with just canbus- using an xtrons hu and the raise box i mentioned earlier
I don't have the canbus pinout.
My hope is that it is badly wired.

The canbus has worked this way from day one.

Thanks again

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
I don't have the canbus pinout.
My hope is that it is badly wired.

The canbus has worked this way from day one.

Thanks again
all the pin outs are the same, if you have one then you have them all,
its the chip inside,
have you tried another box? or it could be the hu's mcu that isnt working, have you tried updating it to a newer version?

moreno_cos

Dec 17, 2011
all the pin outs are the same, if you have one then you have them all,
its the chip inside,
have you tried another box? or it could be the hu's mcu that isnt working, have you tried updating it to a newer version?

I have tried many MCU's from different manufacturers:
GS
KGL
XRC
HA

I still have 3 options to try:

Option 1- If I directly connect Can H and Can L to Can Tx and Can Rx of the HU without CanBus?
Option 2- Buy a new canbus box and test it
Option 3- Surrender

Thank you again

Sdpuk2020

Dec 10, 2020
GS
KGL
XRC
HA

Option 1- If I directly connect Can H and Can L to Can Tx and Can Rx of the HU without CanBus?
Option 3- Surrender

Thank you again
the mcu has to be correct for the make of stereo. If you install a different manufacturer it won’t work. They are tied to the board. Maybe that’s why it’s won’t read the protocol properly

Option 1- won’t work as it’s the wrong signals. So would probably blow something.
option 2- sounds like the best option as at least you’d know.
option 3- no never do that I’m sure we can find a

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
No, not true - you can change the MCU to one from a different (MTCD/E) manufacturer, check out the Cross Compatible MCU thread for details.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GS
    KGL
    XRC
    HA

Option 3- Surrender

Thank you again
    the mcu has to be correct for the make of stereo. If you install a different manufacturer it won’t work. They are tied to the board. Maybe that’s why it’s won’t read the protocol properly

Option 1- won’t work as it’s the wrong signals. So would probably blow something.
    option 2- sounds like the best option as at least you’d know.
    option 3- no never do that I’m sure we can find a
    I know there are a lot of versions of CanBox but it's hard to find a bit more information (except some photos). So I decided to do a small reverse engineering of my version.
    Someone will ask for what? Out of curiosity. Maybe will be helpful for someone in the future. Maybe someone will share what version he has.
    But most of all because maybe someone has a firmware for the MCU? Maybe @hotaudio has such firmware (bin file or CANBUS.UPDE file) to any version of Canbox and help us? :) For educational purposes, of course.

That's how my CanBox looks like
    MyCanBox.jpg

This is the effect of my reverse engineering:
    16_Pin_Box_HW2.jpg

16_Pin_Box_HW2all.jpg

I attached schematic diagram in PDF and schematic/pcb made in KiCAD (ver4 and ver5)

And here other photos of CanBoxes what I found
    CanBox1.jpg

CanBox2.jpg

CanBox3.jpg
    Ok, thanks, can you upload photos of your schematics ?

I didn't save them. Anyway you can go ahead without schematics:

There are two groups of cables: the ISO connector ones and the canbus box ones.

The cables regarding the ISO connector is as simply as comparing the two wiring harness. For example for GND pin in ISO connector, you have to check that ends in the same pin in the unit connector. Most probably these cables will need a complete re-arrangement. Search for Alfa 159 ISO connector schematics on google and compare against the schematic wich is on the unit itself regarding the connector, you have to match all (GND->GND, RR speaker->RR speaker, etc...).

Regarding canbus cables, you will need a voltage tester. The box will have more or less the following cables:

• Power supply and GND, for powering the box. You will differente them because are tied to +12V and GND pins in ISO connector. These two cables won't need any modification.
    • Canbus cables to the ISO connector, for "talking" with the car. These cables won't need any modification.
    • Ignition signaling. You can identify this cable by testing it with the voltage meter. You will get 12V when ignition turns on. Double check it's connected to the Ignition pin in the unit connector.
    • Lights signaling. You can idenfity it by testing with the voltage meter. You will get 12V when low beam is on. Double check it's connected to the light signalig pin in the unit connector.
    • Can A and Can B, bus connection from the box to the unit. Make sure they are connected to the proper pins in the unit connector.

In this way the specific unit schematics are not needed. I made the mod without them.

Regards.
    Or more appropriately have Wheelkey Study disappear when that setting is set to SWC Key. I'm thinking maybe they mean "you can change the assignments" when set to "CAN key" but since it's so close to Canbus it gets confusing very quickly.

Do they mean "use Canbus" or "can" (like "are able") to change/assign." I can see how other language speaking people have a hard time understanding some of our words that have many meanings in context.
    "CAN SWC on" and "CAN SWC off" would have been more logical. Still, I bet their English is better than our Chinese !
    Is the program on the display of the controls on the screen, is it part of Android 10 or is it something special?
    No, it appears on all Android versions, its MCU controlled, see @jlbooths's new thread linked to above.
    I have an Alfa GT as well. The GT (and 147) has CAN Bus, but it has resistive steering wheel controls, the 159 has CAN Bus and the steering wheel controls are CAN Bus too. The CAN Bus you are using is really meant for an Alfa 159, not the Alfa GT (or 147). I use this CAN Bus box too because it also works with most of the functions on the GT, but not all functions because it is meant for the 159. You need to use @Hal9k_'s cutom ROM (you may have to downgrade to Android 9 until his 10 is ready) because his ROM lets you over ride the CAN Bus steering wheel controls - at the moment they are set to CAN Bus controls because it is an Alfa 159 box you are using.
    Youre kinda of right - if the unit is set to no CAN Bus (ie universal units and even some cars with CAN Bus eg Megane 2 & BMW E46) or to a CAN Bus car that has resistive SWC the SWC app works and the SWC setting is automatically set to allow SWC butttons to be changed.

Its whether they can be changed on a car that has resistive SWC and a CAN Bus box not designed for it like @hortar and my cars without the key wires being connected. I ll try in a few days, maybe @hortar can let us know if his works and whether the key wires have to be connected or not.