Cannot copy files over 4GB to the phone?!

Search This thread

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
If I try to copy a file of over 4 GB in size (say, a video in .mkv format), Windows gives me the following error : "The file "Movie.mkv" is too large for the destination file system." I tried with files of 4.36 GB, 6.54 GB... same error.

I can copy files of 2.99 GB and 3.41 GB with no issues (I just tried), so I'd say it's not working for files of over 4 GB only.

I get the same error, regardless of the storage I am trying to copy on (the internal one, or the external SD card - SanDisk 16GB, class 4, fwiw).

Also tried to do it via Recovery USB mount (TWRP / RomRacer's CWM), cause I figured that maybe it's a bug with the ROM (Neutrino, AOKP Milestone and MIUIv4)... But no... Apparently, it's not Recovery/ROM-related :|
Or maybe it is, but it is very widespread, lol.

Could it be that the FAT32 file system just can't handle >4 GB files?! :eek:

italosnt

Jan 13, 2012
Aracaju
If you're using FAT32, yes, 4GB is the limitation of its design and architecture. I suggest, if you can, format it as NTFS :)

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
If you're using FAT32, yes, 4GB is the limitation of its design and architecture. I suggest, if you can, format it as NTFS :)

So... There's no possible way to copy a >4 GB file? That means no HD movies :/

NTFS... right... That's not gonna work, right? The phone can only detect FAT/FAT32... as far as I know.

italosnt

Jan 13, 2012
Aracaju
It's impossible to copy a file higher than 4GB to a FAT32 Partition, there is no way. You can use EXT4, it allows you to copy a 16TB file :p

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

NTFS won't be recognized by your phone. EXT4 won't be recognized by windows. EXT2 and EXT3 can be readed by windows via external drivers, but i'm not sure if your phone will recognize it. I guess it's better you forget watch that HD movie on your phone :)

turl1

May 2, 2011
You can always use any video editor and cut your movie on two parts/files < 4GB, just saying :)

d3athsd00r

Feb 24, 2011
Will the phone recognize exfat? Its a lot slower but it allows larger files.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

italosnt

Jan 13, 2012
Aracaju
It's not recognized by Android. There is a guy working on this, but it's not finished yet. Let's wait for it :)

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
Just out of curiosity... If we manage to get a >4GB .mkv file to the EXT4 partition, how would we read that .mkv file off the EXT4 partition? :)

I remember back when I had the HTC Desire (needed to have a 1-2 GB EXT3/4 partition on the SD-card to act as an internal memory extension), the EXT partition was not accessible using any file manager... that was happening in November of 2011, though :p