Question Cannot Delete System Apps With Root

Search This thread

Skenderbeggar

Nov 29, 2006
New York
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
Cannot delete system apps while rooted and on 11.2.2.2LE15BA.
Tried with TB, LP, and Mixplorer which all show Superuser access in Magisk.
The message I get is "Failed to locate the apk file" in TB, LP can't do it, and Mixplorer says it can't delete.
Anyone have an idea? TIA!!

The message I get is "Failed to locate the apk file" in TB, LP can't do it, and Mixplorer says it can't delete.
Yeah it's a known issue, system is RO. You can delete via adb. I use an adb tool on the computer, very easy and it saves the deleted apps in case you want reinstall them. https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-adb-appcontrol-v1-6-2-app-manager-debloat-tool-for-android.4147837/

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
Yeah it's a known issue, system is RO. You can delete via adb. I use an adb tool on the computer, very easy and it saves the deleted apps in case you want reinstall them. https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-adb-appcontrol-v1-6-2-app-manager-debloat-tool-for-android.4147837/
Thanks for sharing this seemingly great tool. Trying to remove YouTube so I can install the Vanced version without ads and promo skipping. It cannot install over the current YouTube because the Vanced version is lower than the version of YouTube the phone came with (so can't click on uninstall all updates to revert to a version earlier than Vanced current version :rolleyes:).

taaviu

Jan 11, 2010
Tallinn
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia V
Thanks for sharing this seemingly great tool. Trying to remove YouTube so I can install the Vanced version without ads and promo skipping. It cannot install over the current YouTube because the Vanced version is lower than the version of YouTube the phone came with (so can't click on uninstall all updates to revert to a version earlier than Vanced current version :rolleyes:).
I tried also that tool, but only option i got, was delete old youtube, install via adb 15.x.x.x verion, then i can update with vanced and everything working fine, but after reboot is vanced gone again.

I used "Debloater" tool (installed from magisk repo) to remove YouTube, reboot, then install Vanced. This used to be my normal process before Vanced Manager anyway, and it has always worked reliably. It requires root, but doesn't require a computer like the adb method.

I also like that I can maintain a text file of things I want to debloat after each OTA and not have to do each one separately in the future. I'm a little hesitant to do a lot of experimental debloating until we have twrp though, so right now YT and YT Music are all that's on my list.

taaviu

Jan 11, 2010
Tallinn
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia V
I used "Debloater" tool (installed from magisk repo) to remove YouTube, reboot, then install Vanced. This used to be my normal process before Vanced Manager anyway, and it has always worked reliably. It requires root, but doesn't require a computer like the adb method.

I also like that I can maintain a text file of things I want to debloat after each OTA and not have to do each one separately in the future. I'm a little hesitant to do a lot of experimental debloating until we have twrp though, so right now YT and YT Music are all that's on my list.
AWESOME ! Thnx, it worked fine.

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013

After removing YouTube completely, Vanced still gives me an error that it cannot install due to a newer version on the device so I just ended up installing with settings changed to nonroot. The problem I had before doing it this way however was that YouTube links in a google search result would only open with the YouTube app from the play store and not the separate Vanced YouTube and if I tried it, it would take me to the play store to install YouTube. I hope I don't run into this same issue.

After removing YouTube completely, Vanced still gives me an error that it cannot install due to a newer version on the device so I just ended up installing with settings changed to nonroot. The problem I had before doing it this way however was that YouTube links in a google search result would only open with the YouTube app from the play store and not the separate Vanced YouTube and if I tried it, it would take me to the play store to install YouTube. I hope I don't run into this same issue.
Last time I installed the nonroot way I also had that issue. You should be able to fix it by going to Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Opening Links and changing the settings for Vanced YouTube.

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
Last time I installed the nonroot way I also had that issue. You should be able to fix it by going to Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Opening Links and changing the settings for Vanced YouTube.
I'm not positive, but I think I've tried that when initially setting up Vanced way back on my OP7 Pro. Cannot confirm though. Did this method fix it for you for sure?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

or use the magisk module "debloater" if you're rooted
    Using termux on rooted 1+9P

In termux enter su and grant Magisk if not done already.

Then do: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube

Voila, official youtube is gone