Cannot do OTA update. Flashing stock boot.img causes error

Search This thread

barth2

Jan 30, 2014
It's a tale as old as time. I have a functioning A3 with TWRP and magisk installed. OTA Jan security update failed. "Installation problem" was all it said. I expected this. I think all my magisk mods are systemless but I did flash a custom kernel in TWRP to get kcal.

Ok I'd gone through this for the December update. I downloaded fastboot ROM and extracted the boot.img. I made sure it was correct. Laurel sprout V10.3.13.0.PFQEUXM. But flashing it with either TWRP or fastboot I got the dreaded error screen on reboot where your options are try again or factory reset. Yes I flashed into the active slot. Even when I chose to factory reset and started fresh, I still got the same error when I tried to update.

I also tried to flash boot+system but also got same corrupted error. I tried using flash_all_except_data_storage but got an antirollback error. I've gone back to a nandroid backup for now but obviously I need to get this sorted out before the Android 10 update.

Any ideas? Thanks

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Mi A3 doesn't have anti rollback mechanism as far as I know. If you installed TWRP, you also most probably enabled "allow system modifications" (there is a one time prompt on the first start of TWRP, pretty much everyone just dismisses it without reading). TWRP remembers this setting and for each subsequent boot into TWRP it automatically mounts system as R/W, breaking OTA even if you don't flash anything.

You need to reflash stock fastboot images for boot and system with the same version as you're currently running. If you are getting data corruption error, it usually happens when you flash system image from incorrect region or versions differ too much (you're flashing too old image).
Don't install TWRP (or make sure that you delete its settings first and then do NOT allow system modifications).

As you already performed a factory reset, I'd start from fresh state again - switch to active slot A and reflash whole ROM from fastboot, including data wipe (flash_all.bat if I'm not mistaken, but I don't have it in front of me, so double-check its content that it doesn't lock your bootloader).

Reactions: barth2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mi A3 doesn't have anti rollback mechanism as far as I know. If you installed TWRP, you also most probably enabled "allow system modifications" (there is a one time prompt on the first start of TWRP, pretty much everyone just dismisses it without reading). TWRP remembers this setting and for each subsequent boot into TWRP it automatically mounts system as R/W, breaking OTA even if you don't flash anything.

You need to reflash stock fastboot images for boot and system with the same version as you're currently running. If you are getting data corruption error, it usually happens when you flash system image from incorrect region or versions differ too much (you're flashing too old image).
    Don't install TWRP (or make sure that you delete its settings first and then do NOT allow system modifications).

As you already performed a factory reset, I'd start from fresh state again - switch to active slot A and reflash whole ROM from fastboot, including data wipe (flash_all.bat if I'm not mistaken, but I don't have it in front of me, so double-check its content that it doesn't lock your bootloader).
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone