Question cannot edit build.prop on rooted Rog 6

Search This thread

senna33

Sep 24, 2022
Hello! I just rooted my Rog 6 with Magisk to be able to edit my build.prop file. Unfortunately it seems to be read only. If I could get the filesystem mounted in TWRP it should be no problem. But since there is no TWRP yet i'm stuck. I did a lot of research but cannot come up with the solution. Anybody here can help?

Thanks in front!

Last edited:

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Hello! I just rooted my Rog 6 to be able to edit my build.prop file. Unfortunately it seems to be read only. If I could get the filesystem mounted in TWRP it should be no problem. But since there is no TWRP yet i'm stuck. I did a lot of research but cannot come up with the solution. Anybody here can help?

Thanks in front!
did you use a file explorer that supports root and try to change the permission on the file?

senna33

Sep 24, 2022
I'm on Android 12 and used Root Explorer. The permissions cannot be changed because it's not mounted as writable. The buildprop editor app also cannot save. Thanks for your replies!

senna33

Sep 24, 2022
i don't understand how a device is rooted if you can't modifie system files
That's kinda how I feel about it. Root Checker Pro says I have root, I can run Su in a terminal and I get a popup asking for superuser rights when I use a function that requires root. I attached some screenshots from Root Checker Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-232517_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-232517_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220924-232526_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-232526_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220924-232532_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-232532_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220924-232544_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-232544_Root_Checker_Pro.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 19

senna33

Sep 24, 2022
I thought the whole point of root was to be able to do such things 😅. If i would edit the build.prop file in system.img then flash that in recovery mode, would that work?

Last edited:

ChrisFeiveel84

Jun 29, 2017
Oberhausen (NRW) Gemany
no the partitions ( system vendor ) have a write protection (I would not be surprised if the asus rog with android 12 uses the file formart efros ) this had to be converted to ext4 so that you can mount the partitions with rw)
I thought the whole point of root was to be able to do such things 😅. If i would edit the build.prop file in system.img then flash that in recovery mode, would that work?

Mr Hassan

Account currently disabled
Feb 14, 2016
OnePlus 10 Pro
then it didn't work.
because if the partitions are converted correctly and the write protection is removed then you should be able to change files in e.g

(I also tried it on my oneplus 9p without success, but even after the alleged conversion, the partitions were still EROFS)
Yes i converted successfully
Not maked whole super
Just maked vendor system product
And did u believe with one command
Its even get press RW in root explorer
But still not in whole partitons so not able to modify anything

But Most important thing
I get fully rw in dev block mapper
Even i copy paste files there with change permissions
So i believe i doing mistake somewhere
Otherwise little bit achievement
Not yet but hope if i get some dev knowledge then can fix it fully

ChrisFeiveel84

Jun 29, 2017
Oberhausen (NRW) Gemany
Yes i converted successfully
Not maked whole super
Just maked vendor system product
And did u believe with one command
Its even get press RW in root explorer
But still not in whole partitons so not able to modify anything

But Most important thing
I get fully rw in dev block mapper
Even i copy paste files there with change permissions
So i believe i doing mistake somewhere
Otherwise little bit achievement
Not yet but hope if i get some dev knowledge then can fix it fully
how did you try to convert the images to ext 4 without write protection?

ChrisFeiveel84

Jun 29, 2017
Oberhausen (NRW) Gemany
just because it means that you have successfully converted to ext4 does not mean that the write protection is out.... that's why I asked if you can edit files in the ext4 images on the pc, because if that doesn't work, the images still have one write protection (even ext4 can have a write protection )

as examples on the 7t, the images are in ext4 but still have write protection so that you cannot change anything in the images. even if they are integrated as rw because the system.img or vendor.img that is in the super partition is write-protected

Mr Hassan

Account currently disabled
Feb 14, 2016
OnePlus 10 Pro
just because it means that you have successfully converted to ext4 does not mean that the write protection is out.... that's why I asked if you can edit files in the ext4 images on the pc, because if that doesn't work, the images still have one write protection (even ext4 can have a write protection )

as examples on the 7t, the images are in ext4 but still have write protection so that you cannot change anything in the images. even if they are integrated as rw because the system.img or vendor.img that is in the super partition is write-protected
But in os10 os11 is possible
But don't know how to fix this os12
Is there anyway to remove write protection?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem is that the partitions (system vendor and co) are only integrated as R/O and cannot be easily integrated as R/W