• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Cannot flash Global ROM to Mi Max 32GB/3GB

Search This thread

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
This is my first Xiaomi phone and it seemed to arrive with a Chinese ROM on it (V7.3.14.0.MBCCNDC) so I have been trying to change it to a proper official Global ROM with zero success so far.

I have downloaded the ROM from here: http://en.miui.com/download-302.html
Filename: miui_MIMAXGlobal_V7.5.3.0.MBCMIDE_267a7c4439_6.0.zip

If I follow either of these guides (I do not need TWRP, just the official ROM) then I always end up failing at the same part.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max/how-to/installing-twrp-locked-bootloader-t3406501
http://en.miui.com/thread-307139-1-1.html

I reboot the phone into EDL mode by holding down both volume buttons and then connecting a USB cable after the phone has vibrated and stayed on a black screen. The PC then detects the phone as a Qualcomm device and assigns a port number to it.

MiFlash then finds the port number and I point the file browser to the extracted zip folder named: miui_MIMAXGlobal_V7.5.3.0.MBCMIDE_267a7c4439_6.0

After selecting the clean all radio button at the bottom and then pressing the flash button the status and time elapsed meters start moving and then after a few seconds the status changes to 'can not read from port COMxx' (I have used a few different port numbers so it can be COM10, COM20, COM3 etc).

So far I have tried this on three different PC's, 2 running Windows 10 and 1 running Windows 7, and the result is the same every time.

If I download the update file on the phone, rename it to update.zip and then place the update.zip file in the root of the internal storage drive and choose update from file on the phone then the phone reboots to a spinning circle for a while before restarting normally.

I also tried rebooting the phone into recovery mode from the built-in update app and connected it to Mi PC Suite but that just updated it to V7.5.6.0 MBCCNDE which is another China ROM so its still of no use to me really.

Can anybody help with this? This process really shouldn't be so difficult and I am starting to consider sending this phone back. I have made an application with Xiaomi to have the bootloader unlocked but that can take over a week and tbh I don't really want an unlocked bootloader anyway because I have no interest in custom ROM's, root access or special recovery options.

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
I have seen many people with that problem and haven't seen any working solution yet...
I understand you don't want TWRP or unlocked bootloader but that's the only way you can get the job done and forget all these buggy Xiaomi tools.
Something else you can try... Google QFILwhich is the Qualcomm flash tool and does the same thing what MiFlash does. Search and read the guides how to unbrick Qualcomm devices with QFIL. All additional files needed like flasher, partitions.xml etc are in MIUI fastboot ROM already. Actually MiFlash is based on that tool I think...
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: BloodRose

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
I have seen many people with that problem and haven't seen any working solution yet...
I understand you don't want TWRP or unlocked bootloader but that's the only way you can get the job done and forget all these buggy Xiaomi tools.
Something else you can try... Google QFILwhich is the Qualcomm flash tool and does the same thing what MiFlash does. Search and read the guides how to unbrick Qualcomm devices with QFIL.
Good luck.

Thanks but I'm a bit cautious about being the first person to try to use that QFIL flashing utility with this phone, especially since this phone stupidly doesn't include an integrated recovery system. I've found a generic tutorial for it but it looks pretty scary tbh.

http://www.androidbrick.com/ultimat...agons-are-unbrickable-qhsusb_dload_qpst_qfil/

Incidentally when I updated the phone using Mi PC Suite it killed the Google Play Services and I couldn't fix them so I did a normal factory restore and it has restored to a standard China ROM (MIUI 7.5 | Stable 7.5.6.0 (MBCCNDE) so clearly the vendor flashed some weird custom version to this before they sent it to me.

Honestly, this thing is starting to drive me insane.

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
You have to use these drivers for your Qualcomm port: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9oNcsjcOpNHZjI1OWtFSDFfS3c/view?usp=sharing

Delete the original Windows driver and install it again through device manager.

Thanks, I'll give it a try with that driver tomorrow. I did try another driver that I found on Google as well as the auto installed driver because it looked like a communication problem to me.

There's a driver pack on that Xiaomi tips website but I haven't been able to install it because the hosting used by that website is terrible and it just times out.

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
OK so I think I updated the driver using the one from your link but unfortunately the error is the same.

I uninstalled the device through DM and it self-installed this driver.

Capture213f3.jpg

Then I used the Update driver > Browse > Let me pick > Have Disk option to force the driver from your link to install so the driver was updated to this:

Capture6aec2.jpg

The error in MiFlash is still exactly the same though: can not read from port COMxx.

Last edited:

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
OK the problem here seems to be that MiFlash cannot support standard recovery ROM's. It has to use those larger ones with the scripts etc included.

I was able to flash this with no problems whatsoever: http://en.miui.com/thread-324576-1-1.html

However I'm worried that might not be the official software and I want to keep this simple and official and get all updates OTA in future.

Unfortunately the only global full ROM available for this phone on the MIUI website is the Developer build.

http://en.miui.com/a-234.html

The version I have just flashed also doesn't include locales for the UK or Japan and I spend most of my time in those countries. I've set it to Singapore for now but I feel like I'm right back to square one with this thing.

Last edited:

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
From what I read official MIUI Global is missing many locales and that's why people are using xiaomi.eu ROM. I even suggested in there forum to stop calling it global b/c its not and call Asia or something...

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
From what I read official MIUI Global is missing many locales and that's why people are using xiaomi.eu ROM. I even suggested in there forum to stop calling it global b/c its not and call Asia or something...

The included country list on it is quite frankly bizarre. It includes some European countries but not others and has options for the Falkland Islands and St. Kitts but no option for Britain or the United States. :eek:

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
The problem is with no UK locale I don't know if I can get the IR Blaster working.

It's a small problem in the grand scheme of things but still one I would like to fix if I can.

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Motorola Edge
Redmi Note 10
@ Blood Rose - I am assuming so far you've kept the boot loader locked and flashed the global stable 7.5 version - on your 32 GB device? did you lose data - did you get any OTAs (security patches). I am looking to go to miui 8 - possibly chinese - the global development may not be as timely. Also I have the 64 gb version and there's not much going on the global ROM versions for that one.

BloodRose

Dec 5, 2008
@ Blood Rose - I am assuming so far you've kept the boot loader locked and flashed the global stable 7.5 version - on your 32 GB device? did you lose data - did you get any OTAs (security patches). I am looking to go to miui 8 - possibly chinese - the global development may not be as timely. Also I have the 64 gb version and there's not much going on the global ROM versions for that one.

I did flash a global stable version of 7.5. It's the latest official rom I believe. I did a full wipe to make sure all traces of the Chinese stuff were gone. Because its the latest official version ut hasn't received any OTA updates yet but it at least seems to connect to the official servers to check whereas the ROM the phone came with couldn't.

My bootloader is now unlocked because the MIUI forum staff offered to do immediately for me so I figured I might as well but I will not be using root or any custom builds.

Reactions: badrsj

presuntinho

May 26, 2012
am i totally ****ed up? searching how to change my shop rom to another rom for my 3gb/32gb and that what i found. So it is impossible to change rom in this smartphone???

sneezy316

Jan 6, 2011
I neither know nor care about custom ROMs. I'm quite sure there is probably a way to circumvent Xiaomi's bootloader lock but I was just providing the standard textbook advice tbh.

Hi BloodRose,
Does the Xiaomi ROM support large file sizes, like an HD movie?
I am doing research on the Mi Max before buying.
I am based in the US, and it will not be my primary phone.
Thanks,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Something else you can try... Google QFILwhich is the Qualcomm flash tool and does the same thing what MiFlash does. Search and read the guides how to unbrick Qualcomm devices with QFIL. All additional files needed like flasher, partitions.xml etc are in MIUI fastboot ROM already. Actually MiFlash is based on that tool I think...
    Good luck.
    You have to use these drivers for your Qualcomm port: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9oNcsjcOpNHZjI1OWtFSDFfS3c/view?usp=sharing

Delete the original Windows driver and install it again through device manager.
    Yup no United States
    When is the 64/128 global ROM coming out

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

8/16 if they get it right...

I did flash a global stable version of 7.5. It's the latest official rom I believe. I did a full wipe to make sure all traces of the Chinese stuff were gone. Because its the latest official version ut hasn't received any OTA updates yet but it at least seems to connect to the official servers to check whereas the ROM the phone came with couldn't.

My bootloader is now unlocked because the MIUI forum staff offered to do immediately for me so I figured I might as well but I will not be using root or any custom builds.