• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Cannot Get Google Play Protect Certification using LineageOS 18.1 on OnePlus 8T

Search This thread
Sep 11, 2021
OnePlus 8T
Hello Everyone,

I recently installed LineageOS 18.1 (build: lineage_kebab-userdebug 11). I have retrieved my Android ID using the ADB commands found here: Device Registration and registered my Android ID a few days ago but Google Play Store still shows: "Device is not certified" under Settings --> About --> Play Protect certification. Is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I need to do in order to get my device certified with Google Play Store?

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
Moto E4
OnePlus 8T
use magisk hide props config I use the pixel 5 fingerprint and add new props
ro.product.model Pixel 5
ro.product.manufacturer Google
option 5 add those 2 after you change fingerprint you will pass and get stadia discounts just can't run edxposed I do but a few changes in that you fail hope that helps

Sep 11, 2021
OnePlus 8T
use magisk hide props config I use the pixel 5 fingerprint and add new props
ro.product.model Pixel 5
ro.product.manufacturer Google
option 5 add those 2 after you change fingerprint you will pass and get stadia discounts just can't run edxposed I do but a few changes in that you fail hope that helps

Thank you for the info. So you are saying in order to get my device "certified" with Google Play Store I need to root my device, add new props and change my fingerprint (I assume you mean Android ID)? I'm not sure what you mean by: "stadia discounts" or "edxposed". Also, I do not see where I need to root my device in the LineageOS documentation or the Google documentation so I'm still unclear why this must be done. Does Google block LineageOS devices from getting "certified" or something?

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
Moto E4
OnePlus 8T
long as you used dual sim oos file to unlock your phone it won't unless you do something like that and Google thinks I have pixel 5 see pics I pass

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-222441.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-222441.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210914-222456.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-222456.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210914-222608.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-222608.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 29

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
Thank you for the info. So you are saying in order to get my device "certified" with Google Play Store I need to root my device, add new props and change my fingerprint (I assume you mean Android ID)? I'm not sure what you mean by: "stadia discounts" or "edxposed". Also, I do not see where I need to root my device in the LineageOS documentation or the Google documentation so I'm still unclear why this must be done. Does Google block LineageOS devices from getting "certified" or something?
Unlocking a bootloader breaks SafetyNet passes. This results in the play store as not being certified which usually hides specific apps such as Netflix and some other banking apps and will break them. Magisk is needed to help with spoofing your device to let the play store know your device is certified. Some ROMs have built in patches in which SafetyNet passes fine without root. I believe lineage does not do this with their ROM, so you will need magisk.

This is actually a decent article which describes this if you desire to read it - https://www.hexnode.com/blogs/safetynet-android-security/

Sep 11, 2021
OnePlus 8T
Unlocking a bootloader breaks SafetyNet passes. This results in the play store as not being certified which usually hides specific apps such as Netflix and some other banking apps and will break them. Magisk is needed to help with spoofing your device to let the play store know your device is certified. Some ROMs have built in patches in which SafetyNet passes fine without root. I believe lineage does not do this with their ROM, so you will need magisk.

This is actually a decent article which describes this if you desire to read it - https://www.hexnode.com/blogs/safetynet-android-security/

Okay that makes sense. According to the: Patching Images section of the How to Install Magisk App guide I can install Magisk to the boot ramdisk (see screenshot). However, the LineageOS build I installed does not contain a "boot.img" in the zip file. There is however a "payload.bin" file which according to the: XDA Magisk Installation Guide I need to use "payload-dumper-go" to extract the boot.img from the payload.bin? Does that about sum it up or is there something else I'm missing?

Attachments

• Magisk App.png
    Magisk App.png
    229 KB · Views: 11

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
Okay that makes sense. According to the: Patching Images section of the How to Install Magisk App guide I can install Magisk to the boot ramdisk (see screenshot). However, the LineageOS build I installed does not contain a "boot.img" in the zip file. There is however a "payload.bin" file which according to the: XDA Magisk Installation Guide I need to use "payload-dumper-go" to extract the boot.img from the payload.bin? Does that about sum it up or is there something else I'm missing?
Yep. You will need to extract the payload.bin file in which you will use the boot.img, then patch it with magisk, then flash the patched boot.img using fastboot. Then, you will need to use magiskhide to hide magisk itself and use the props spoof module to help with passing safetynet.

Sep 11, 2021
OnePlus 8T
I want to say thank you for the help! I successfully installed Magisk and passed the SafetyNet checks! Everything seems to be working good. However, it seems my efforts might be wasted as Magisk is dropping support for hiding root access. This is unfortunate as I have a few job critical apps that will not work unless I hide them from root access in Magisk. Hopefully someone else will pick up the torch and continue development. It's a crime these big tech companies work so hard to prevent us from modifying hardware we own!