Cannot get oem unlock token oneplus 8 tmobile (in2017)

Search This thread
So I purchased a tmobile op8 and it arrived yesterday, after setting up the phone and network unlocking (which happened basically instantaneously after applying for it which i found odd), I am currently trying to unlock bootloader in the hopes of converting it to the international firmware. I am on software version 11.0.5.7.IN55CB

The problem I am facing is that whenever i try to do "adb devices" while the phone is powered on it works and lists it, but when the phone is in fastboot mode it does not list the device. Also when i do "fastboot oem get_unloock_code" it gets stuck at waiting for devices. I have read through numerous posts both here and on the op forums talking about this and some listed solutions such as going into windows optional updates and updating google bootloader or something, while others said to check that bootloader is unlocked (i did both and didnt work). Any tips? Also, could someone please link to the correct adb and driver downloads as I am getting mixed results when searching which is the correct download.

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Just need to update drivers friend. Follow carefully.

1. Download Google fastboot drivers, unzip to get "usb_driver" folder
2. Right click file "android_winusb" and select install. Press OK on confirmation dialog.
3. Boot phone into fastboot, and connect to PC
4. Open the device manager on PC, and look for android device. Should have an orange triangle next to it
5. Right click that -> Update driver -> Browse my computer -> let me pick from a list -> Android Bootloader Interface

After success message fastboot commands will work. I'd also recommend using the lastest Fastboot Tools from Google if you have any more issues.

Have fun waiting 1-2 weeks for your unlock_code.bin file. F&^% T-Mobile lmao.

Last edited:

2. Right click file "android_winusb" and select install. Press OK on confirmation dialog.
4. Open the device manager on PC, and look for android device. Should have an orange triangle next to it
5. Right click that -> Update driver -> Browse my computer -> let me pick from a list -> Android Bootloader Interface

After success message fastboot commands will work. I'd also recommend using the lastest Fastboot Tools from Google if you have any more issues.

Thanks, worked like a charm. Now to wait 7 business days fml

Reactions: DerrickTight
if you just want the bootloader unlocked there's another way to do it instantly using EDL it's how I unlocked mine , instructions and files are here.. only works on Android 11 btw https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664833753 if you really don't feel like installing edl and what not there is a Linux live distro that's already ready to go on the edl GitHub page you can download but just forewarning it's extremely glitchy and not used friendly lol if you need help , I can help you tho just lmk

Reactions: ac2br
if you just want the bootloader unlocked there's another way to do it instantly using EDL it's how I unlocked mine , instructions and files are here.. only works on Android 11 btw https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664833753 if you really don't feel like installing edl and what not there is a Linux live distro that's already ready to go on the edl GitHub page you can download but just forewarning it's extremely glitchy and not used friendly lol if you need help , I can help you tho just lmk
would i be able to convert to international firmware with this?

also at the end of instructions it states "***** i have not had any luck being able to flash custom roms onto this device even with it unlocked so be forewarned *****" Does this mean that only using this method does not allow for custom roms, or would waiting for tmobile unlock, converting to international firmware also not work with roms?

If roms dont work on this model even after flashing international firmware then im probably not even going to unlock lol

d.tat

Jul 24, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 8
OnePlus 8

also at the end of instructions it states "***** i have not had any luck being able to flash custom roms onto this device even with it unlocked so be forewarned *****" Does this mean that only using this method does not allow for custom roms, or would waiting for tmobile unlock, converting to international firmware also not work with roms?

If roms dont work on this model even after flashing international firmware then im probably not even going to unlock lol
i have t-m version and i have converted it to international software firmware also gets changed but by your self you won't be able to get 2 sim support because there is only one imei in phone. all the rom's work exacly the same as they do on global version not a single difference currently running a12 aex rom no problems at all

Last edited:

d.tat

Jul 24, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 8
OnePlus 8

don't forget to backup your persist.img there is some % chance it may get lost and you will have to recalibrate firngerprint sensor also back up the modem.img from twrp beacause that's has imei of your phone and if somehow you get your phone hardbricked that would be nice thing to have as a peace of mind

don't forget to backup your persist.img there is some % chance it may get lost and you will have to recalibrate firngerprint sensor also back up the modem.img from twrp beacause that's has imei of your phone and if somehow you get your phone hardbricked that would be nice thing to have as a peace of mind
Can this be done without TWRP or does this have to be done after I root?

d.tat

Jul 24, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 8
OnePlus 8
you can backup persist without twrp. i'm sure modem could be backed up without twrp too but that's how i did it even tho i did not need persist nor modem image but i would suggest you do it anyways just to be safe booting into twrp in not hard at all you have to do is go info fastboot and through adb file boot into recovery ( fastboot boot "recovery" ) device will reboot in twrp and from there you just backup persist and modem take that file and save it on your computer
also important note for android 10 use twrp 3.4 and for android 11 use 3.6 and most importantly if you read the instructions on converting to global or installing twrp or custom rom carefully it will work 100% i was lazy and did it old way i used to do it on some other android phones and bricked few times but it was all good with msm tool you could restore phone from almost every state that's what made oneplus great :)

Reactions: ac2br
you can backup persist without twrp. i'm sure modem could be backed up without twrp too but that's how i did it even tho i did not need persist nor modem image but i would suggest you do it anyways just to be safe booting into twrp in not hard at all you have to do is go info fastboot and through adb file boot into recovery ( fastboot boot "recovery" ) device will reboot in twrp and from there you just backup persist and modem take that file and save it on your computer
also important note for android 10 use twrp 3.4 and for android 11 use 3.6 and most importantly if you read the instructions on converting to global or installing twrp or custom rom carefully it will work 100% i was lazy and did it old way i used to do it on some other android phones and bricked few times but it was all good with msm tool you could restore phone from almost every state that's what made oneplus great :)
Ok, thanks for clarification

Ive run into an issue with edl mode and you seem knowledgeable. I tried to flash the international firmware with an unlocked bootloader but it turned out to be an older build and now my phone is in crash dump mode. I planned on using msmtool to downgrade to android 10 and just restart but my phone isnt detected by my pc even though i have the qualcomm drivers installed. Any tips?

edit: btw can still access fastboot mode (download mode)

so phone is recognized in fastboot but not as qhusnhub or whatever its supposed to be, its just called oneplus android bootloader interface

Last edited:

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Ive run into an issue with edl mode and you seem knowledgeable. I tried to flash the international firmware with an unlocked bootloader but it turned out to be an older build and now my phone is in crash dump mode. I planned on using msmtool to downgrade to android 10 and just restart but my phone isnt detected by my pc even though i have the qualcomm drivers installed. Any tips?

so phone is recognized in fastboot but not as qhusnhub or whatever its supposed to be, its just called oneplus android bootloader interface
EDL mode can be tricky. This one's not a guarantee but it always works for me.

1. Download LinageOS recovery. Make sure you put it in your fastboot/platform-tools folder.
2. Flash that recovery in fastboot mode (unlock bootloader first if you need to) with the command "fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20211218-recovery-instantnoodle.img"
3. Now boot into recovery, select advanced options, and enable ADB.
4. Now you have full adb access. Make sure you're plugged in and use this command on your PC. "adb reboot edl"
5. Check MSM, should be detected now if the right drivers are installed. If not, try combinations of different USB ports and different cables (you'd be surprised)

A lot of the tutorials on here on how to get a T-Mobile version to Global firmware are wonky methods or outdated, so let me know if you continue to have issue with that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: nmuntz

1. Download LinageOS recovery.
2. Flash recovery in fastboot mode (unlock bootloader first if you need to) with the command "fastboot flash recovery NAMEOFFILE.img"
4. Now you have full adb access. Use this command "adb reboot edl"
5. Check MSM, should be detected now if the right drivers are installed. If not, try combinations of different USB ports and different cables (you'd be surprised)

A lot of the tutorials on here on how to get a T-Mobile version to Global firmware are wonky methods or outdated, so let me know if you continue to have issue with that.
Thanks for the reply man. Believe it or not this is exactly what I did lol. Got it working again and am now rooted on international oos 11.

SilverZero

May 18, 2010

Just wanted to say that this solved my issue of not being able to make it past the reboot into fastboot when flashing from TMo to Global using the flash-all.bat guides. I ran the batch file on a newly MSM'd 10.5.22 and when it got stuck at "waiting for device" I followed these steps and as soon as the driver was installed the batch file kicked back in and finished the flashing. Cheers!

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Just wanted to say that this solved my issue of not being able to make it past the reboot into fastboot when flashing from TMo to Global using the flash-all.bat guides. I ran the batch file on a newly MSM'd 10.5.22 and when it got stuck at "waiting for device" I followed these steps and as soon as the driver was installed the batch file kicked back in and finished the flashing. Cheers!
Glad you got it man, worth all the trouble to get to a clean version of OOS without T-MO's junk and spying xD

nmuntz

Jul 15, 2008
Canada

1. Download LinageOS recovery. Make sure you put it in your fastboot/platform-tools folder.
2. Flash that recovery in fastboot mode (unlock bootloader first if you need to) with the command "fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20211218-recovery-instantnoodle.img"
4. Now you have full adb access. Make sure you're plugged on and use this command on your PC. "adb reboot edl"

Thanks SO MUCH for this!! This is the only thing that allowed me to get into EDL Mode. I'm a bit stuck using MSM though. It shows my device as connected, but when I click the "Target" dropdown O2 is not an option. The only option I see is TMO. Any ideas?

UPDATE: i was able to get MSM going. Selecting the target was not needed, just needed to reboot the phone into EDL again and quickly press Start.
I'm back to stock now and just unlocked my bootloader again.
I now have a follow up question: My goal is to install Pixel Experience on my OPO8. Do I need to flash the Global ROM first or can I go straight into Pixel Experience?

UPDATE 2: no matter what I try flashing to my device I always end up getting "not allowed" errors with the critical partition. I've done the fresh MSM process three times already and always end up hitting these critical partition errors when trying to flash the global rom (or any other rom for that matter). any ideas?

Last edited:

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Thanks SO MUCH for this!! This is the only thing that allowed me to get into EDL Mode. I'm a bit stuck using MSM though. It shows my device as connected, but when I click the "Target" dropdown O2 is not an option. The only option I see is TMO. Any ideas?

UPDATE: i was able to get MSM going. Selecting the target was not needed, just needed to reboot the phone into EDL again and quickly press Start.
I'm back to stock now and just unlocked my bootloader again.
I now have a follow up question: My goal is to install Pixel Experience on my OPO8. Do I need to flash the Global ROM first or can I go straight into Pixel Experience?

UPDATE 2: no matter what I try flashing to my device I always end up getting "not allowed" errors with the critical partition. I've done the fresh MSM process three times already and always end up hitting these critical partition errors when trying to flash the global rom (or any other rom for that matter). any ideas?
Do you have a T-Mobile device? If so you SHOULD be selecting "TMO" from the dropdown in MSM. Not O2 or leaving it blank. If you don't have a T-Mobile device, your using the wrong MSM tool as TMO shouldn't be an option.

Did you unlock your bootloader after MSMing back to stock? MSM Tool will automatically lock your bootloader. Also what recovery are you using to try to flash ROMs?

Also PixelExperience is dead for op8 it stopped getting updates. I'd recommend HavocOS for a "Pixel Experience". Also a well polished ROM in general.

nmuntz

Jul 15, 2008
Canada
Do you have a T-Mobile device? If so you SHOULD be selecting "TMO" from the dropdown in MSM. Not O2 or leaving it blank. If you don't have a T-Mobile device, your using the wrong MSM tool as TMO shouldn't be an option.

Did you unlock your bootloader after MSMing back to stock? MSM Tool will automatically lock your bootloader. Also what recovery are you using to try to flash ROMs?

Also PixelExperience is dead for op8 it stopped getting updates. I'd recommend HavocOS for a "Pixel Experience". Also a well polished ROM in general.

I'm pretty sure that this is a T-Mobile device. It registers as IN2017 which matches the description of the phone I bought off amazon but not exactly sure how else can i verify this.

I did unlock the bootloader after MSMing back to stock. One thing I noticed is that the stock image that MSM flashed has Sprint branding and not T-Mobile. maybe i'm using the wrong MSM tool? I'm using the one from this guide

I just re-did MSM; this time selecting TMO and I still got Sprint branding. is this expected?

I've been trying with multiple recoverys: the stock one, TWRP and the one that pixelexperience had. The LineageOS one you provided I only used for doing the ADB thing to boot into EDL. What recovery do you recommend I use?

I did read about PixelExperience being dead so downloaded Havoc.
can you please confirm if I should be flashing the Global ROM before flashing HavocOS? regarding the critical partition errors any ideas whats causing those?

last question is regarding adb/fastboot - been reading different things about what version to use. been doing all my last experiments using the ones from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools but got the same results. sorry to spam you with so many questions - appreciate your help!

Last edited:

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
I'm pretty sure that this is a T-Mobile device. It registers as IN2017 which matches the description of the phone I bought off amazon but not exactly sure how else can i verify this.

I did unlock the bootloader after MSMing back to stock. One thing I noticed is that the stock image that MSM flashed has Sprint branding and not T-Mobile. maybe i'm using the wrong MSM tool? I'm using the one from this guide

I just re-did MSM; this time selecting TMO and I still got Sprint branding. is this expected?

I've been trying with multiple recoverys: the stock one, TWRP and the one that pixelexperience had. The LineageOS one you provided I only used for doing the ADB thing to boot into EDL. What recovery do you recommend I use?

I did read about PixelExperience being dead so downloaded Havoc.
can you please confirm if I should be flashing the Global ROM before flashing HavocOS? regarding the critical partition errors any ideas whats causing those?

last question is regarding adb/fastboot - been reading different things about what version to use. been doing all my last experiments using the ones from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools but got the same results. sorry to spam you with so many questions - appreciate your help!
I've never seen that MSM tool, but the one I use doesn't have any Sprint files at all. Not sure where you found that MSM but use this one for future reference.

No you don't need to flash global before a ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks, worked like a charm. Now to wait 7 business days fml

4. Now you have full adb access. Make sure you're plugged in and use this command on your PC. "adb reboot edl"

I too am waiting. 3 days down so far. Stay strong my brother.
    Made that comment 2 months ago lol. Am currently on unofficial evolution x 12 (rooted ofc) and it's way better than oos 11. You should give it a try