• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Cannot get past WIFI selection on Hudl 1

Search This thread

TigerRob

Sep 8, 2020
rob.themayfamily.me.uk
I got to this thread after following @TigerRob's tutorial It is a brilliant tutorial but I had no joy. Someone (possibly @TigerRob) mentions somewhere the possibility that the tablet is updating various other aspects of itself in the background and the process needs to be run through quickly. Mine had updated to the point where it refused to find the settings app and demanded an update to Google Chrome (which it refused to install).

Well, I had a little brainwave which worked for me. I shared my Phone WiFi and, once past the initial screen, switched off teh sharing so I could fumble through the rest, knowing that the HUDL had no possibility of updating.

So, with the stock, unadulterated factory firmware, sure enough, once I get to step 5 above, in stead of typing google app, I typed "settings" and I found I had the option to search ON the tablet. The updated version doesn't have this. Skip steps 6,7,8,9,10! Once I got the date set, I rebooted and went onto my home WiFi no probs.

I'm happy happy happy. I just got a new remote control for my IoT!
If you use the latest incarnation of my instructions here: https://rob.themayfamily.me.uk/hudl/hudl-fix
then you shouldn't suffer from that problem of needing to do things fast ... the instructions have been modified based on experience from a load of people, and as things a stands it should work for all but some devices that have the original non-upgraded firmware (and there is an the alternative mechanism which includes that 'might have go go fast' part that should still work for them).

Your suggestion is an interesting variation that I'd be happy to try to include, if that's OK with you?

I still recommend "upgrading" to my Custom ROM: https://github.com/remay/tmf-hudl/wiki

KDMcM

Sep 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
If you use the latest incarnation of my instructions here: https://rob.themayfamily.me.uk/hudl/hudl-fix

Your suggestion is an interesting variation that I'd be happy to try to include, if that's OK with you?

I still recommend "upgrading" to my Custom ROM: https://github.com/remay/tmf-hudl/wiki

I did your updated one first. My machine must've done some serious updates, because I went through the setup email and everything before it would even let me run the browser!

Anyway, here's an EVEN simpler version: SKIP steps 4 and 5 from yours. Don't make a WiFi connection at all. Boom! No mobile hot spots, no tools.

Sure, feel free to put the method up there.

KDMcM

Sep 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
It looks like you're trying to use these lovely little machines for the same thing as me! I've also acquired a bundle and am hoping to use them as IoT remotes.
I'd wanted to use them to access a Home Assistant webserver, but I'm stuck at the webserver login screen with "Error: Something went wrong". The folks over at the Home Assistant forum told me HA requires Android 5 Lollipop.
Are you also accessing a webserver interface? What do you suppose would be involved in creating an Android 5 ROM for HUDL 1? Is such a thing even possible?

Lightpee

Jul 20, 2021
I’ve developed a new way of getting past the activation of the Hudl 1 tablet. Kindly send me an e-mail address on {Mod edit} or {Mod edit}. It worked for me so I suppose it will work for you too. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve developed a new way of getting past the activation of the Hudl 1 tablet. Kindly send me an e-mail address on {Mod edit} or {Mod edit}. It worked for me so I suppose it will work for you too. Thanks for your time.
Post edited! @Lightpee I'd appreciate if you share your "new way" here publicly! Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: TigerRob

johnsiddle

Aug 2, 2021
Hi Guys, noobi here and I know I am a bit thick but can anyone tell me how to put the Hudl into flash mode so that I can install Rob's custom Rom from an SD card please.

I tried loading it from the factory default screen (two options) but one tells me it cannot find any rkimages, the second option sees the image I have extracted and allows me to choose it but then I just get I am guessing a root icon ../ also telling me to choose a package to install (it shows that I have entered a package /mnt/external_sd/hudl_20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.1mg) which if I hit enter takes me back t the factory default screen.
Thinking it it might take a while to install I left it running overnight but by the morning nothing had changed.
Which is why I am thinking I am not in re-flash mode.
The recovery system firmware is v4.2.41.
Take Care and Stay Safe

John

TigerRob

Sep 8, 2020
rob.themayfamily.me.uk
Hi Guys, noobi here and I know I am a bit thick but can anyone tell me how to put the Hudl into flash mode so that I can install Rob's custom Rom from an SD card please.

I tried loading it from the factory default screen (two options) but one tells me it cannot find any rkimages, the second option sees the image I have extracted and allows me to choose it but then I just get I am guessing a root icon ../ also telling me to choose a package to install (it shows that I have entered a package /mnt/external_sd/hudl_20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.1mg) which if I hit enter takes me back t the factory default screen.
Thinking it it might take a while to install I left it running overnight but by the morning nothing had changed.
Which is why I am thinking I am not in re-flash mode.
The recovery system firmware is v4.2.41.
Take Care and Stay Safe

John
Hi John,

Follow the instructions here carefully: https://github.com/remay/tmf-hudl/wiki/Flashing-from-an-SD-Card

Specifically in step 2 the *bold* bit where is says to rename the file on your SD Card from "hudl_20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.1mg" to "update.img"

Then try again (it seems you weere doing it correctly in the first place as you saw teh cannot find any rkimages message.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Rob.

KDMcM

Sep 28, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I have tried 3 different ROM's now and all are the same. Used RKTOOL to flash it. Factory reset after installing each of them.

Would be great if you could indicate which three ROMs you tried. I only know of 1 and it's @TigerRob 's cut-down original with the bloatware removed.

I would be very interested to know if anyone's done and Android 5 build for the HUDL, as that would allow it to work with Home Assistant!

johnsiddle

Aug 2, 2021
Hi John,

Follow the instructions here carefully: https://github.com/remay/tmf-hudl/wiki/Flashing-from-an-SD-Card

Specifically in step 2 the *bold* bit where is says to rename the file on your SD Card from "hudl_20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.1mg" to "update.img"

Then try again (it seems you weere doing it correctly in the first place as you saw teh cannot find any rkimages message.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Rob.
Thanks Rob. I finally worked out that I am an idiot.
I just read the instructions without expanding each instruction and seeing the rest of the information.
I hadnt realised that if you click the arrow head the instructions drop down.

All sorted now thank you my Hudl is working better than original.
Take Care and Stay Safe.
John

Reactions: TigerRob

adamelphick

Feb 1, 2006
London
Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro
Late to the party here but massive thanks to TigerBob for the ROM that get's rid of that crappy startup routine that connects (or rather tries to) the old Tesco servers! I have updated my tablet and it is now up and running however I have an issue..

Basically I was going to use it as the 'brain' for my little Anki Cosmo robot - leaving it on so Cosmo can live 24/7. I am trying to install the app APK for Cosmo though and it basically says "Parse Error - There was a problem while parsing the package" - really frustrating after getting this far! GRRRR

TigerRob

Sep 8, 2020
rob.themayfamily.me.uk
Basically I was going to use it as the 'brain' for my little Anki Cosmo robot - leaving it on so Cosmo can live 24/7. I am trying to install the app APK for Cosmo though and it basically says "Parse Error - There was a problem while parsing the package" - really frustrating after getting this far! GRRRR
I don't know what version of the Cozmo app you're trying to install, but the latest in the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitaldreamlabs.cozmo2&gl=GB - assuming I found the right thing) requires Android 5.0 and above - The Hudl is only 4.2.2. I'm assuming this is the problem.

Looking on APKPure at the history (https://apkpure.com/cozmo/com.anki.cozmo/versions) it seems even the oldest version requires android 4.4+.

Sorry I can be more help here.

Rob.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi reddevil - sorry at some point I appear to have stopped 'watching' this thread, so only catching up now. Do you still need help?
    Thanks Rob but I managed to flash from PC booted from USB drive in the end (and then bought you a coffee!).
    No idea why the files seemed invalid to the HUDL nor why my 2 main PCs would not boot from the USB drive (even when set to do so). Luckily my old Samsung netbook did the trick.
    Many Thanks
    Tigerboss, thanks Sir, my dad is super happy right now, God bless you Dr sharing such a vital message for free
    FIXED!

I just managed to get past the setup wizard and get both my Hudl 1's back into service. The problem is not that the Tesco server is gone, but that it's certificate expired on 26th June. If you can escape the wizard and get to settings to set the Hudl's time to before that date the wizard completes successfully.

I've written up how I escaped the wizard and got into the settings to do this - it's s combination of information from this thread and stuff I've found elsewhere, none of it is really mine :). No rooting or USB debuuging required.

Find the write up here: Apparently I haven't posted enough here to be able to post the actual link, so try this ....
    https colon slash slash rob dot themayfamily dot me dot uk slash hudl

If someone with enough privileges could post an actual link for others to click that would be excellent.

I hope this is useful. Please let me know if you find better/easier ways to achieve the same end effect. If I get time I'll have a look to see if the setup wizard can more easily be disabled, but for now this has got me where I need to be.

Enjoy,
    Rob.

[Edited to add: you can find a clickable link under the Home Page in the contact info of my profile]
    It worked 😩😩😩
    Hi Rob,
    I know you only have/own a Hudle1, but any chance u could make do CFW for the Hiudle2 as myself as well as others are all stuck on the WIFI wizard also now the servers have been shut down.
    My Hudle 2 was getting a little laggy so i made the fatal mistake of resetting, im now greeted with the WIFI authentication error. I changed the date like your hudle 1 tutorial suggests, but that made no difference for this ver2
    I dont mind using my Hudle2 as a guinea pig if you would like to give it a go & i can also know up a tutorial for your webpage to.
    As far as I can establish Custom ROMs for the Hudl2 are not possible. I'm sorry the date trick doesn't work for you : I've had a number of people tell me that it does work with Hudl2 devices, but I don't have a device to confirm or look for alternatives.
    i know this is old but just going through this on my granddads old Hudl, he died so no way am I getting rid the first post got me interested but didnt know what they keyboard trick was have found out so am posting here to help other users
    1. select anywhere that will let you type in text
    2. when the keyboard comes up long press the microphone key
    3. click on google keyboard settings
    4. scroll down to about google keyboard
    5. click on privacy policy (it will load up google chrome)
    6. in the address bar type in google app
    7. the google app will show click on it in the google search results
    8. click open in play store
    9 click on open
    10. in the search bar type settings / play store
    11. root your tablet following other guids

hope this helps fill in the blanks

I got to this thread after following @TigerRob's tutorial It is a brilliant tutorial but I had no joy. Someone (possibly @TigerRob) mentions somewhere the possibility that the tablet is updating various other aspects of itself in the background and the process needs to be run through quickly. Mine had updated to the point where it refused to find the settings app and demanded an update to Google Chrome (which it refused to install).

Well, I had a little brainwave which worked for me. I shared my Phone WiFi and, once past the initial screen, switched off teh sharing so I could fumble through the rest, knowing that the HUDL had no possibility of updating.

So, with the stock, unadulterated factory firmware, sure enough, once I get to step 5 above, in stead of typing google app, I typed "settings" and I found I had the option to search ON the tablet. The updated version doesn't have this. Skip steps 6,7,8,9,10! Once I got the date set, I rebooted and went onto my home WiFi no probs.

I'm happy happy happy. I just got a new remote control for my IoT!