Cannot get past WIFI selection on Hudl 1

Search This thread

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
Ah it seems the problem was not using via the batch tool ive done that now am i really getting close now haha!

Download and unpack the TMF Custom ROM Firmware i did until the Disc image is corrupted!
That sounds like you are trying to run the .img file by double clicking it, rather than extracting it.

Try this:
Download the lastest custom ROM: https://github.com/remay/tmf-hudl/r.../hudl.20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.img.zip
Double click on the downloaded .zip file.
You should see an explorer windows with a file named hudl.20140424.153851.TMF-Custom-v1.0.img
Drag that file onto your desktop

Continue with step 4

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
I thought i was getting there it says Loading firmware finished then i followed Part 4 but cant get to flashing bootloader mode etc.Its just the same as ever sadly.

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
Im getting really annoyed and feel like giving up about 5 other things have gone wrong tonight alone.The Device Manager is that on my Laptop or Hudl theres not this flashing boot just the reboot menu etc thats not it is it thankyou.

The Device Manager is that on my Laptop or Hudl theres not this flashing boot just the reboot menu etc thats not it is it thankyou.
Device Manager is a program on your laptop. Open the start menu (click the windows icon in the bottom left of the screen) and start typing 'device'. you should see search results including device manager near the top - click on the search result to launch it.

Better expaination than I gave here: https://www.howtogeek.com/697936/5-ways-to-open-device-manager-on-windows-10/

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
It also says Volume up not press power too is that correct ive tried this with or without USB and pinged the reset hole to no avail.One interesting addition the star came up but no Hudl or booting up just a flash of the charger icon!

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
It also says Volume up not press power too is that correct ive tried this with or without USB and pinged the reset hole to no avail.One interesting addition the star came up but no Hudl or booting up just a flash of the charger icon!
I tried your other method double clicked yet it says either corrupt again or unable to extract the destination file.Im on Windows 11 too by the way!

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
How do i do this godsake im actually quite educated but this is the most difficult thing ever.Its driving my mother and wife crazy too.You fellows must be some sort of professors or inventors etc haha!
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\2207310B0100]
"SkipBOSDescriptorQuery"=hex:01,00,00,00

Lightpee

Jul 20, 2021
Hello there i had the same couldnt connect problem on Hudl 1 its brand new unused allegedly,its model v4.2.4.1 hudl Android Jellybean but maybe up to 8 years old i followed up to Google keyboard settings,unable to get in several times.I then reset but the same.I can get on the internet via the Google sign in at times.But cant get in the settings and main menus etc,please let me know the next steps.I dont think ive got USB flash drives,and various other things mentioned ok Jace!
For sure

Lightpee

Jul 20, 2021
Am sorry but it's been quite long since I used the device. The only way I'll remember the steps to activating it is if I have one with me or I have a picture of what will appear on the screen. I activated mine myself though thats how I know I can do it again 💯
If I remember clearly you tap on the privacy policy, highlight a text from the passage and search with chrome. Now in the search box type open setting(install and open app) in order to try accessing the device setting panel. When in the setting panel go to the date and time and change the date to 26th June. Now you go back to the activation course and continue with the email but if you reach any step that has a skip button anywhere on the screen please tap on it. I hope this text help a little because I tried getting a picture of how it looks like from the Internet but it's not giving me the clear picture.

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
Thank you Pee i thought you were taking the Pee,first of all sorry haha! Yes but it wont let me on the settings as i said at that part.

Lightpee

Jul 20, 2021
Lol I wish I could have a picture of how the problem you facing on the tablet looks like but since it's not possible maybe you might as well sell it because the specification is low and its quite slow when in use.

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
Lol I wish I could have a picture of how the problem you facing on the tablet looks like but since it's not possible maybe you might as well sell it because the specification is low and its quite slow when in use.
It seems slow what i can get out of it,i really wanna get it done and keep trying though.This is the bit that could be the Key how do i exactly enter this ive tried to no avail,i dont want to ruin the Laptop settings heres the key information LP!
  1. Copy this text into a file with a .reg extension and double click it, accepting the warnings, to apply the change to the registry:

Lightpee

Jul 20, 2021
It seems slow what i can get out of it,i really wanna get it done and keep trying though.This is the bit that could be the Key how do i exactly enter this ive tried to no avail,i dont want to ruin the Laptop settings heres the key information LP!
  1. Copy this text into a file with a .reg extension and double click it, accepting the warnings, to apply the change to the registry:
The bit and all those stuffs not important. I've sold my own like I would've recorded a video of the steps for you because its not difficult at all the only problem I have is I don't have a clear image in my mind to guide you through the steps

JACE77

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks but it is very difficult ive tried nearly anything i can.Ive never had so much trouble with anything hardly,and im pretty Tech savvy the last 40 years or so using Computers phones etc.Remember im on windows 11,and it seems like this is the very first Hudl,where as most others have 2 etc.As Rob and others have stated the Reg key is vital,well somethings missing somewhere still sadly!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    load settings

Paull,
    I am having exactly the same issue my HUDL. I have not been through as many processes as you to get around the startup screen. My main theory now is to wipe the HUDL software and install alternative Android OS. Not sure if that would work in practice, but seems just the HUDL thats the issue.. Is it possible this is a deliberate bug by HUDL to kick the systems gradually off the market? Seems a waste as my HUDL still works well, so be stupid to bin it just yet.

Can you add any advice on how you did the other actions - how did you get your three buttons and did they operate as expected - presuymably not:? Even when I by pass to the keyboard section I am unable to download or update apps or install the Google Now Launcher.

Seems stupid to me. Really keen to find a post a fix for this stupid stupid issue?
    Stuart

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

I called TESCO contact centre and they confirmed that the software is no longer support and this sounds like a deliberate bug to stop the devices. - If you have a HUDL I would urge you not to factory reset as this will kill it altogether. I think from an environmental standpoint its atrocious to do this and for TESCO not to have a section about it on the website. They should also be telling people where they can send the devices for recycling or repurposing or offering a very basic OS so it can still be used even with limited fucnctionality. We need to start thinking about the whole picture and getting the information like this out there in the public domain.
    Stuart

i know this is old but just going through this on my granddads old Hudl, he died so no way am I getting rid the first post got me interested but didnt know what they keyboard trick was have found out so am posting here to help other users
    1. select anywhere that will let you type in text
    2. when the keyboard comes up long press the microphone key
    3. click on google keyboard settings
    4. scroll down to about google keyboard
    5. click on privacy policy (it will load up google chrome)
    6. in the address bar type in google app
    7. the google app will show click on it in the google search results
    8. click open in play store
    9 click on open
    10. in the search bar type settings / play store
    11. root your tablet following other guids

hope this helps fill in the blanks
    Hi reddevil - sorry at some point I appear to have stopped 'watching' this thread, so only catching up now. Do you still need help?
    Thanks Rob but I managed to flash from PC booted from USB drive in the end (and then bought you a coffee!).
    No idea why the files seemed invalid to the HUDL nor why my 2 main PCs would not boot from the USB drive (even when set to do so). Luckily my old Samsung netbook did the trick.
    Many Thanks
    Tigerboss, thanks Sir, my dad is super happy right now, God bless you Dr sharing such a vital message for free
    FIXED!

I just managed to get past the setup wizard and get both my Hudl 1's back into service. The problem is not that the Tesco server is gone, but that it's certificate expired on 26th June. If you can escape the wizard and get to settings to set the Hudl's time to before that date the wizard completes successfully.

I've written up how I escaped the wizard and got into the settings to do this - it's s combination of information from this thread and stuff I've found elsewhere, none of it is really mine :). No rooting or USB debuuging required.

Find the write up here: Apparently I haven't posted enough here to be able to post the actual link, so try this ....
    https colon slash slash rob dot themayfamily dot me dot uk slash hudl

If someone with enough privileges could post an actual link for others to click that would be excellent.

I hope this is useful. Please let me know if you find better/easier ways to achieve the same end effect. If I get time I'll have a look to see if the setup wizard can more easily be disabled, but for now this has got me where I need to be.

Enjoy,
    Rob.

[Edited to add: you can find a clickable link under the Home Page in the contact info of my profile]
    It worked 😩😩😩
    Hi Rob,
    I know you only have/own a Hudle1, but any chance u could make do CFW for the Hiudle2 as myself as well as others are all stuck on the WIFI wizard also now the servers have been shut down.
    My Hudle 2 was getting a little laggy so i made the fatal mistake of resetting, im now greeted with the WIFI authentication error. I changed the date like your hudle 1 tutorial suggests, but that made no difference for this ver2
    I dont mind using my Hudle2 as a guinea pig if you would like to give it a go & i can also know up a tutorial for your webpage to.
    As far as I can establish Custom ROMs for the Hudl2 are not possible. I'm sorry the date trick doesn't work for you : I've had a number of people tell me that it does work with Hudl2 devices, but I don't have a device to confirm or look for alternatives.