Cannot refresh or reinstall Windows RT. Insert media, missing files error.

Search This thread

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
So I want to refresh my Windows 8 RT tablet but I get the error: "Insert Media. Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files."

I checked the recovery partition and it is healthy and 4 gigs in size. I can't even remove everything and reinstall. Same error.

Maybe there is a way to access this hidden system partition and manually execute the install or backup.

Any help please?

Last edited:

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
I have contributed a lot to the xda forums over the years and I would really greatly appreciate if someone could temporarily upload the recovery backup so I can download and once done the file could be deleted from their server. Would really appreciate it.

Pretty please! :)

Reactions: arqueiro

arqueiro

Apr 22, 2010
I have contributed a lot to the xda forums over the years and I would really greatly appreciate if someone could temporarily upload the recovery backup so I can download and once done the file could be deleted from their server. Would really appreciate it.

Great ideia, i need that too, i live in brazil, and we do not have windows store here, so there is no way to return my surface :(

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Just starting to do this now, but spotted this instead..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2079409

That not what people want chopped into chunks?

I know the other person meant well but if you could upload to a different file sharing I would appreciate it. The one he uses is giving me problems and I can't download and have to wait 3 hours for my next attempt and between each download. :(

Maybe even on skydrive and make file public for say 48 hours.

fmotta

Jan 15, 2004
I know the other person meant well but if you could upload to a different file sharing I would appreciate it. The one he uses is giving me problems and I can't download and have to wait 3 hours for my next attempt and between each download. :(

Maybe even on skydrive and make file public for say 48 hours.

Tboy2000: did you solve the issue?
I have the exact same problem and would like to know if you made it right!
Let me know!
Filippo

Pang1982

Jul 24, 2009
Recovery files are in recovery partition. There are two files, install.wim and install.md5

I solved this way:

I assigned letter F: a recovery partition with diskpart, and I wrote the following command

reagentc.exe /setosimage /path F: /target c:\Windows /Index 1

In this way, I was able to refresh the tablet, from settings menu.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed by Asus...

PS: sorry for my english, I'm italian :)

Timelord83

Feb 15, 2011
Vermont
www.timelord83.com
Recovery files are in recovery partition. There are two files, install.wim and install.md5

I solved this way:

I assigned letter F: a recovery partition with diskpart, and I wrote the following command

how did you manage to get to a console of any kind.. I have a TF600T and i don't have the usb recovery stick.. and it won't boot into windows rt at all.. how did you get a console?

Reactions: wmderosier

truffle1234

Mar 16, 2007
Tokyo
RT cant refresh, cant update...

I am having the same issue, I tried all with no result... I called Microsoft today, they listened to my issue and they will be sending there currier to pick up my surface RT in 48 hours, and they will ship me a replacement in 3 days.

Best service and support , I am glad I bought Microsoft surface.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I am having the same issue, I tried all with no result... I called Microsoft today, they listened to my issue and they will be sending there currier to pick up my surface RT in 48 hours, and they will ship me a replacement in 3 days.

Best service and support , I am glad I bought Microsoft surface.

You're lucky. In the us, we have to go ship it ourselves.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

You're lucky. In the US, we have to go ship it ourselves.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just starting to do this now, but spotted this instead..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2079409

That not what people want chopped into chunks?

Thank u very much :good::good:
    Yeha no worries, got the USB here so will find somewhere to stick it, so to speak...

I solved this way:

how did you manage to get to a console of any kind.. I have a TF600T and i don't have the usb recovery stick.. and it won't boot into windows rt at all.. how did you get a console?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone