Cannot run TWRP after installing Magisk

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
I have the same problem as yours. I've tried countless scenarios, followed tutorials on XDA and Youtoube but can't make TWRP work.

Out of curiosity I restarted the device through slot A after flash zip from magisk. My phone has accessed TWRP, but I cannot access my files. When I restart from slot B I have the opposite. Twrp doesn't work, but my files are accessible.

So I believe I somehow "broke" slot A. I just don't know how I did it or how to fix it.
Hmm, if you do a local update from system settings it will be installed in the other slot. So the partitions will be overwritten.

lvints

Jan 6, 2012
Timon
Hmm, if you do a local update from system settings it will be installed in the other slot. So the partitions will be overwritten.
To make this kind of update is through the system right? Do I have to use Pie 9.5.8? This clean data?

Last edited:

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
Reactions: beeshyams

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
I have the same problem as yours. I've tried countless scenarios, followed tutorials on XDA and Youtoube but can't make TWRP work.

Out of curiosity I restarted the device through slot A after flash zip from magisk. My phone has accessed TWRP, but I cannot access my files. When I restart from slot B I have the opposite. Twrp doesn't work, but my files are accessible.

So I believe I somehow "broke" slot A. I just don't know how I did it or how to fix it.
Yes! Exactly like me.

So far only a handful of people fixed the problem with a factory reset.

lvints

Jan 6, 2012
Timon
I managed to solve :victory:

I used the tutorial of a guy named salustre on Github, the credits go to him :D

1.from bootloader mode execute
fastboot flash boot boot.img (used stock boot for 9.5.8)

2.boot twrp image (I used .70 unified)
fastboot boot twrp.img

flash twrp-installer.zip

flash magisk.zip (I flashed 19.3)

Reactions: strongst

dima-82

May 31, 2016
Hey guys,

I am rooting my phones already for about 10 years, but was never stuck like now...

I cant get my OP7 to install TWRP. BTW: It was already installed and worked, but now if I try to boot into recovery I end up in the bootloader menu.
OOS is starting without any problems. I think, it has something to do with the Magisk v20 update, but I am not sure, since going back to v19.3 didnt solve the problem.

I can boot perfectly into TWRP from fastboot. I can install it via ramdisk and via zip. Magisk installation runs without errors as well, but as soon as I try to reboot into recovery I end up in bootloader again. Switching to slot B brings the same result.

Maybe dirty flashing the rom will bring the solution, but I didnt try it yet.

OOS is 9.5.8.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I managed to solve :victory:

I used the tutorial of a guy named salustre on Github, the credits go to him :D

1.from bootloader mode execute
fastboot flash boot boot.img (used stock boot for 9.5.8)

2.boot twrp image (I used .70 unified)
fastboot boot twrp.img

flash twrp-installer.zip

flash magisk.zip (I flashed 19.3)
Where can I get the stock boot for 9.5.8?

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Solution found:

Reflash stock boot image. Reinstall TWRP and Magisk 19.4 (NOT Magisk 20. That seams to break TWRP on Pie)