Cannot SEND SMS Tried Everything Please HELP :(

Search This thread

The Carthaginian

Apr 12, 2015
All of a sudden today I cannot send SMS.

I was on a really old build of Cyanogenmod12 (April 22nd I believe) as any time I tried to update to newer Nightly builds I lost all Sprint service could not make/receive calls or texts, etc.

I decided I was pretty fed up with CM12 so I decided to go ahead and migrate to AICP. I wiped everything TWICE in recovery, loaded up AICP and it works fine, I get LTE signal, etc. However I cannot SEND SMS, I can RECEIVE SMS I just cannot SEND. I had done some data restores with Titanium and I figured that somehow some way that might be messing with things. So I did another 100% fresh install after wiping everything.... I can send/receive calls, receive SMS but I cannot SEND SMS :confused:

I am really at a loss here guys, ANY help would be greatly appreciated

pbedard

Jul 30, 2010
boston
*#*#4636*#*# change it to CDMA wait 30 seconds send an SMS and do *#*#4636*#*# again change it back to late/CDMA n should be ok

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: The Carthaginian

The Carthaginian

Apr 12, 2015
*#*#4636*#*# change it to CDMA wait 30 seconds send an SMS and do *#*#4636*#*# again change it back to late/CDMA n should be ok

I stayed up all night last night working on this, let me update the thread with what I have done so far.

I was looking at some stockish ROMs and I noticed that there were warnings on some of them stating that you needed to have the Sprint OTA 5.0 update installed prior to flashing, which I actually never got. My phone came out of the box with Kit Kat and I never installed the 5.0 update, I went straight to CM12 5.0 instead. So I had a theory that there might possibly have been some sort of network data profile, etc or something out of that official 5.0 OTA that I never got that was somehow causing me problems. I decided to revert back to complete bone stock.

I wiped everything and flashed the N910PVPU1BOB7 file (MD5 = 7304e42cf0e241553d8db9e3c3eeed81) which was the official Sprint 5.0 OTA. Loaded it up, updated the PRL, Network Data Profile, etc, etc, etc.... everything works (relatively speaking...... TouchWiz sux balls of course). I have LTE signal, I can send/receive calls, I can send/receive SMS... all good.

So at this point I decided to re-wipe and flash AICP, with the emotion Kernel (latest builds on all). Load it up.... same problem as before. I have LTE signal (stronger than on the stock Sprint ROM), I can send/receive calls, I can receive SMS but I still CANNOT SEND SMS :confused:

I tried a few things at this point. I tried to manually reset the Sprint network connection on the phone by dialing ##72786#, this did not work, it returned an error "incorrect MIM code". I tried the *#*#4636*#*# that I have seen suggested in multiple places, this also did nothing, it returned an error "incorrect MIM code". I also noticed on the "mobile networks" tab, and this is true for BOTH CM12 and AICP, that it has the setting at "Global" by default and everything works with exception of sending SMS. Now when I click that tab it only has 3 options LTE, 3g, 2g.... for some reason "global" is not an option, neither is CDMA. Whenever I select LTE it automatically drops me from the Sprint network PERMANENTLY until the ROM is re-flashed there is no way to reverse this. I cannot even dial the manual programming codes "*#* etc" as it just simply says "no network service". If I try to automatically connect to the sprint network through the network operators tab it does in fact find Sprint as my provider, however if I click on Sprint to connect it processes for about 2-3 minutes and then simply returns an error of "cannot connect to the network at this time, please try again later". Again the only way to reverse this is to re-wipe and re-flash again which puts it into the unselectable "global" network setting by default where then I will have LTE signal, I can send/receive calls, and can receive SMS but not send SMS.

So that is where I am at, I stayed up all night last night wiping, flashing, and testing different things over and over. Nothing seems to work 100%, except the stock 5.0.1 OTA which is what I am on now. I really hate TouchWiz and for some reason I get a much weaker LTE signal on stock compared to either CM12 or AICP (I have no clue why this is). I am really at a loss here why everything works on the custom ROMs except for sending SMS..... willing to try almost anything to go back to a custom ROM.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

The Carthaginian

Apr 12, 2015
Well great news I have finally resolved the SMS send issue :D

pbedard had tried to help me with the above post (which I appreciate, thank you), and I have seen the same advice in other threads. One slight problem though, he slightly mistyped the manual programming code it is actually *#*#4636#*#* not *#*#4636*#*# which I had tried entering ohhhhh I dont know 30 times? :silly: And it always returned an "invalid MMI code".

I had tried everything and after spending a full day on TouchWiz I was determined to fix the issue so I could go back to a custom ROM. I was even manually creating and deleting APNs, etc. Nothing would work. Right as I was about to finally give up (after literally 12hrs of researching the issue and testing fixes) I was reading the official CM 12 thread and came across the "fixes" post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57613217&postcount=3

Because I had tried entering the manual programming code so many times I happened to notice that the last 4 key strokes were not what I had been entering. I entered the correct programming code, boom the Phone Info menu pops right up I follow the directions and what do you know send SMS finally works :D .... wow what a relief, I am on the latest AICP release on the emotion Kernel and everything works like a charm.

Also by setting the phone to LTE/CDMA through the manual programming menu I have the strongest LTE signal by far, full 100% bars at all times (I live right next to a Sprint tower). I have never understood why I only got 1-2 bars on the stock ROM and 3-4bars on CM12/AICP through the default settings. Anyway thanks for help and I will list out exactly what I did to get it working.

- 100% Stock ROM
- CF Auto Root and TWRP install through Odin
- Reboot to recovery
- Wipe Dalvik cache, system , data, and cache
- Reboot to recovery
- Flash emotion kernel (optional)
- Flash latest AICP build (or custom ROM of your choice)
- Flash latest stock Gapps
- Reboot system
- Confirm Google Messenger is the default SMS app (it will already be if you flashed 5.1 stock Gapps)
- Dial *#*#4636#*#* ("Testing" menu screen will pop up, select "Phone Information")
- Scroll down to "Set preferred network type" click it and scroll up and set it to "CDMA auto (PRL)"
- Wait until 3G signal comes online (takes about 10 seconds)
- Change "preferred network type" to " LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)"
- It should take another 10 seconds for LTE signal to come online and you should be good to go to send and receive SMS ! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I stayed up all night last night working on this, let me update the thread with what I have done so far.

I was looking at some stockish ROMs and I noticed that there were warnings on some of them stating that you needed to have the Sprint OTA 5.0 update installed prior to flashing, which I actually never got. My phone came out of the box with Kit Kat and I never installed the 5.0 update, I went straight to CM12 5.0 instead. So I had a theory that there might possibly have been some sort of network data profile, etc or something out of that official 5.0 OTA that I never got that was somehow causing me problems. I decided to revert back to complete bone stock.

I wiped everything and flashed the N910PVPU1BOB7 file (MD5 = 7304e42cf0e241553d8db9e3c3eeed81) which was the official Sprint 5.0 OTA. Loaded it up, updated the PRL, Network Data Profile, etc, etc, etc.... everything works (relatively speaking...... TouchWiz sux balls of course). I have LTE signal, I can send/receive calls, I can send/receive SMS... all good.

So at this point I decided to re-wipe and flash AICP, with the emotion Kernel (latest builds on all). Load it up.... same problem as before. I have LTE signal (stronger than on the stock Sprint ROM), I can send/receive calls, I can receive SMS but I still CANNOT SEND SMS :confused:

I tried a few things at this point. I tried to manually reset the Sprint network connection on the phone by dialing ##72786#, this did not work, it returned an error "incorrect MIM code". I tried the *#*#4636*#*# that I have seen suggested in multiple places, this also did nothing, it returned an error "incorrect MIM code". I also noticed on the "mobile networks" tab, and this is true for BOTH CM12 and AICP, that it has the setting at "Global" by default and everything works with exception of sending SMS. Now when I click that tab it only has 3 options LTE, 3g, 2g.... for some reason "global" is not an option, neither is CDMA. Whenever I select LTE it automatically drops me from the Sprint network PERMANENTLY until the ROM is re-flashed there is no way to reverse this. I cannot even dial the manual programming codes "*#* etc" as it just simply says "no network service". If I try to automatically connect to the sprint network through the network operators tab it does in fact find Sprint as my provider, however if I click on Sprint to connect it processes for about 2-3 minutes and then simply returns an error of "cannot connect to the network at this time, please try again later". Again the only way to reverse this is to re-wipe and re-flash again which puts it into the unselectable "global" network setting by default where then I will have LTE signal, I can send/receive calls, and can receive SMS but not send SMS.

So that is where I am at, I stayed up all night last night wiping, flashing, and testing different things over and over. Nothing seems to work 100%, except the stock 5.0.1 OTA which is what I am on now. I really hate TouchWiz and for some reason I get a much weaker LTE signal on stock compared to either CM12 or AICP (I have no clue why this is). I am really at a loss here why everything works on the custom ROMs except for sending SMS..... willing to try almost anything to go back to a custom ROM.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.
    Well great news I have finally resolved the SMS send issue :D

pbedard had tried to help me with the above post (which I appreciate, thank you), and I have seen the same advice in other threads. One slight problem though, he slightly mistyped the manual programming code it is actually *#*#4636#*#* not *#*#4636*#*# which I had tried entering ohhhhh I dont know 30 times? :silly: And it always returned an "invalid MMI code".

I had tried everything and after spending a full day on TouchWiz I was determined to fix the issue so I could go back to a custom ROM. I was even manually creating and deleting APNs, etc. Nothing would work. Right as I was about to finally give up (after literally 12hrs of researching the issue and testing fixes) I was reading the official CM 12 thread and came across the "fixes" post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57613217&postcount=3

Because I had tried entering the manual programming code so many times I happened to notice that the last 4 key strokes were not what I had been entering. I entered the correct programming code, boom the Phone Info menu pops right up I follow the directions and what do you know send SMS finally works :D .... wow what a relief, I am on the latest AICP release on the emotion Kernel and everything works like a charm.

Also by setting the phone to LTE/CDMA through the manual programming menu I have the strongest LTE signal by far, full 100% bars at all times (I live right next to a Sprint tower). I have never understood why I only got 1-2 bars on the stock ROM and 3-4bars on CM12/AICP through the default settings. Anyway thanks for help and I will list out exactly what I did to get it working.

- 100% Stock ROM
    - CF Auto Root and TWRP install through Odin
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Wipe Dalvik cache, system , data, and cache
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash emotion kernel (optional)
    - Flash latest AICP build (or custom ROM of your choice)
    - Flash latest stock Gapps
    - Reboot system
    - Confirm Google Messenger is the default SMS app (it will already be if you flashed 5.1 stock Gapps)
    - Dial *#*#4636#*#* ("Testing" menu screen will pop up, select "Phone Information")
    - Scroll down to "Set preferred network type" click it and scroll up and set it to "CDMA auto (PRL)"
    - Wait until 3G signal comes online (takes about 10 seconds)
    - Change "preferred network type" to " LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)"
    - It should take another 10 seconds for LTE signal to come online and you should be good to go to send and receive SMS ! :good: