Cannot unbrick [cannot enter EDL mode]

Search This thread

SteveHebe

Dec 31, 2008
Moto X4
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hey brothers, I hope you can help this poor man here. I'm a total NOOB! My wife's OP 8 went to Qualcomm CrashDump Mode randomly and she tried to reboot it by holding power+volume up+volume down. It restarted but went back to CrashDump again, she did it thrice. then dead. blackscreen, can't turn on, not charging, no fastboot, no safe recovery. Total dead. I want to unbrick it using MSMtool but even the computer can't detect it. I tried to to the EDL step many times, still nothing. Still dead.
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I seem to be in the same situation and cant figure out a solution.

Amazingscoops

Aug 26, 2022
Okay, (i created an account just to respond to this) so i spent hours trying to figure out a solution to my problem here , and it turned out to have nothing to do with my inability to press buttons. Instead, my issue turned out to be that windows just didnt install the driver for my phone in edl mode automatically, so it never popped up in my device manager and msm never found it. If your device manager is showing something like "QUSB_BULK" when you plug in your phone, then this is your problem.

Here is the 64-bit version of the driver.

Hoping someone can shed some light. Rushing to root phone again to send back warranty replacement, in my haste my laptop died mid flash and now can only boot in Fastboot and Crashdump Mode.

I am attempting to restore to factory via the MSM tool but cannot for the life of me enter EDL mode.

With phone powered off and pressing the vol up and down keys while plugging into the PC, it only enters Fastboot mode
I have tried to do it with phone off, rebooting from Crashdump mode, from fastboot and it seems that no combination allows me to do so.

I have also tried just vol up and vol down. App loaded at the flash screen, not loaded, etc.

Thanks in advance
So you need to find the temp folder for the MSM tool and completely remove it so the MSM tool can make a new file for your phone as if it never read it before it usually helps it to pick it up if you're still having the problem message me I'll give you an info I have cuz I'm having a similar problem.

Asrafull

Dec 16, 2017
OnePlus 8
tried with tone of drivers again and for get QHUSB_BULK in device manager.but dont happened.but not able to connect in msm my device op8.i am going to be mad right now.becasue i bought device only 2days running.

-Mourad-

Aug 20, 2022
I was in a similar position...

I've read somewhere here in the Forum, I'm sorry do not remember where it was,
how to do and finaly I did it.

This is the way I did:

First of all, you have to install the driver.
After that I did this:

1. Start the MSM Tool as others and in my case Target as EU.
2. Now, I switched off the Phone.
3. After it was switched off, I connected the USB cable with the Computer (it was easier for me)
4. Now, I pressed and holded the Volume up+down buttons together and have wait a few seconds
5. After the few seconds I connected the USB cable with the Phone.
6. The MSM Tool should recognize the device and show that it's connected.
If not, push the ENUM button. Now, it should recognize the Phone.
7. Now, you can take of your finger from the Volume buttons.
8. Finally press START. And wait until your Phone restarts. That's it.

I hope I've not forgotten something,

My mistake was, I've waited to see anything on the Display.
But there's nothing to see. The whole time the Phone seems to be switched off until it restarts.

Hope this helps.
This was how I did, maybe it don't helps you. I don't know.

nikoeuren

Jun 19, 2014
I have now brought my phone back to life twice using the MSM tool. It's fun to tell your spouse that your phone is unusable once again and you cannot be reached for the time being. Then they ask you "what did you do this time?" I have never been able to explain it in layman terms.

sidehop

Dec 4, 2008
1- start MSM tool (prepare the settings and choose the right oos)
2-keep the cable connected to one end (I prefere to keep it connected from the phone side first)
3-keep holding volume up/down for 3-4 sec and connect the other end of the cable to your PC
4-your device will be connected directly stop holding volume up/down and in msm tool press start wait for ≈300 sec
5-now your device should work as it was before

OH MAN, this finally helped, ty!

What also helped to get this far before getting into EDL and all because I flashed the wrong ROM and my 7T had no Wifi. I didn't try putting in my live SIM card but doubt that would've worked; and still would have no Wifi in either case so......:

1. Download the latest 7T driver for my Windows 10 that didn't help
2. Didn't know what EDL was and kept on going into FastBoot
3. Once I figured out what EDL was, my device manager would have "QHUSB_BULK_blah blah" on the driver, which I thought Microsoft's CAB file here would help: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...l-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4004005/
4. Searched more and directly downloaded the driver, rebooted PC: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-qdloader-9008-fix-edl-mode-fix.3980165/
5. Must use USB 2.0 with an aftermarket cable
6. Didn't need to be super precise with hitting both the UP & DOWN volume keys at the same time
7. Had the MSM Tool ready to go with the target dropdown as "TMO"
8. Automatically connected once I pressed the Enum button.

Now I have Wifi back again and back in business w00t!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hoping someone can shed some light. Rushing to root phone again to send back warranty replacement, in my haste my laptop died mid flash and now can only boot in Fastboot and Crashdump Mode.

I am attempting to restore to factory via the MSM tool but cannot for the life of me enter EDL mode.

With phone powered off and pressing the vol up and down keys while plugging into the PC, it only enters Fastboot mode
    I have tried to do it with phone off, rebooting from Crashdump mode, from fastboot and it seems that no combination allows me to do so.

I have also tried just vol up and vol down. App loaded at the flash screen, not loaded, etc.

Thanks in advance

What I did when I was in Crash Dump Mode was,

Press and Hold Power Off and Volume Up button and release when the screen goes off. Now your phone is switched off. Now to enter the EDL mode you need to press and hold volume up and volume down buttons at the same time...and then connect the mobile to pc while still holding the buttons. Done. MSM tool will detect your phone.

NOTE : Also keep the Device Manager window open on the PC while u connect the phone to pc and check if it shows up there.
    1- start MSM tool (prepare the settings and choose the right oos)
    2-keep the cable connected to one end (I prefere to keep it connected from the phone side first)
    3-keep holding volume up/down for 3-4 sec and connect the other end of the cable to your PC
    4-your device will be connected directly stop holding volume up/down and in msm tool press start wait for ≈300 sec
    5-now your device should work as it was before
    What to do if the device doesn't have any usb 2.0 port?
    I've had the issue where EDL mode works..... for a few seconds, then the phone reboots.

Very frustrating!
    The MSM Download Tool does spot the phone, but since the phone seems to reboot, I don't have enough time to do anything!
    Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance