Cannot upgrade to 12.5 MIUI

Search This thread

enryfox

Nov 4, 2011
Milan
I have a Russian (thanks Amazon !!) Redmi 9a 32Gb/2gb. It is currently running latest 12.0.x ROM version, but i would like to upgrade it to 12.5.
I see on xiaomi ROM site there is currently a 12.5.x version for Russian version, but the OTA never arrived and if i download the recovery zip file and install it manually, it fails verification and stops.
Is there a way to install 12.5 without unlocking the bootloader ?
Is 12.5 supported on this specific redmi 9a ?

thanks !

Ivan.Adriazola

Nov 8, 2022
Redmi 9A
mmm... spflashtool might work, but Ive only ever used it on a bircked device to unbrick it, never on a functional device to just change the ROM version, but if you really wanna do it without unlocking bootloader thats your best choice.

I will say anyway, its probably safer to unlock bootloader install recovery and install the rom from there, its your call tho.

Heres how I unbricked my device

Reactions: enryfox

enryfox

Nov 4, 2011
Milan
Thanks
Right now I cannot unlock the bootloader, maybe in the next months I might try (I want to wait for the warranty to expire). My concern is that my version of Redmi 9A with just 2G of Ram is actually not compatible with MIUI 12.5. The 12.5 rom is actually available, but OTA will leave me in the 12.0 branch and verification fails if I try to install the ROM manually. I would not want to brick it by installing an unsupported ROM.

Ivan.Adriazola

Nov 8, 2022
Redmi 9A
My phone model is M2006C3LG and the ROM I have right now says I have 1.8Gb of available RAM, I don't think you have a different device from mine.

Im a total n00b so I may be wrong about this next thing, but, I think the only difference is what version of MIUI they were sold with since the hardware doesn't allow downgrades further than the stock ROM that came with the device.

There is always antirollback after MIUI 10, but I think its even further locked for the original stock ROM that came to the device, but yeah, this is all my own speculation due to a bricking incident I faced.

enryfox

Nov 4, 2011
Milan
The model number is the same, but the 9A was available with different sizes of RAM 2 or 3 or 4 Gb. Mine is the low end 32/2 which is the model still on sale today. If you still have 1.8 Gb of free RAM you very likely has the 3 or 4 GB model.

Maybe you are right, the OTA allows only for updates within the same MIUi version; I saw several guides on-line and i think i will try the miflash tool and switch to the global version. I have to find a way to unlock bootloader without Xiaomi account (no way in hell I'm signing up for that) and without sim card (this phone is used as a smaller wi-fi only tablet). There are some tools for an offline unlock, I will try those first.

It is incredible how Xiaomi is making it complex just to update to a stable official ROM; given also how much bloatware is shovelled with the stock ROM, I'm not sure I will ever consider Xiaomi again.

Rares6567

Apr 5, 2022
The model number is the same, but the 9A was available with different sizes of RAM 2 or 3 or 4 Gb. Mine is the low end 32/2 which is the model still on sale today. If you still have 1.8 Gb of free RAM you very likely has the 3 or 4 GB model.

Maybe you are right, the OTA allows only for updates within the same MIUi version; I saw several guides on-line and i think i will try the miflash tool and switch to the global version. I have to find a way to unlock bootloader without Xiaomi account (no way in hell I'm signing up for that) and without sim card (this phone is used as a smaller wi-fi only tablet). There are some tools for an offline unlock, I will try those first.

It is incredible how Xiaomi is making it complex just to update to a stable official ROM; given also how much bloatware is shovelled with the stock ROM, I'm not sure I will ever consider Xiaomi again.
In my opinion, DON'T UPGRADE. I upgraded it with recovery and fastboot and my phone got an message everytime when I boot it : dm verity corrupted and I will need to press power button again to work. Maybe i didn't did that correctly ( I have Global 12.0.20 32/2gb)

Reactions: enryfox

enryfox

Nov 4, 2011
Milan
In my opinion, DON'T UPGRADE. I upgraded it with recovery and fastboot and my phone got an message everytime when I boot it : dm verity corrupted and I will need to press power button again to work. Maybe i didn't did that correctly ( I have Global 12.0.20 32/2gb)
Thanks for the info. So you upgraded to latest 12.0 without moving to 12.5, any reason for not trying 12.5 ? The phone is currently barely usable with Android 10, maybe Android 11 is even heavier, but why not give it a try ?

I saw several youtube videos and guides and by using MI Flash with a Fastboot image (scattered tgz) it should be a total reflash of the phone.

Rares6567

Apr 5, 2022
Thanks for the info. So you upgraded to latest 12.0 without moving to 12.5, any reason for not trying 12.5 ? The phone is currently barely usable with Android 10, maybe Android 11 is even heavier, but why not give it a try ?

I saw several youtube videos and guides and by using MI Flash with a Fastboot image (scattered tgz) it should be a total reflash of the phone.
Idk, android 11 may will use more resources but give it a try , good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mmm... spflashtool might work, but Ive only ever used it on a bircked device to unbrick it, never on a functional device to just change the ROM version, but if you really wanna do it without unlocking bootloader thats your best choice.

I will say anyway, its probably safer to unlock bootloader install recovery and install the rom from there, its your call tho.

Heres how I unbricked my device
    here are some useful files