Can't connect to Sony PC companion

Search This thread

Gnopps

Aug 4, 2010
My computer connects fine to my Z2 tablet via usb, both when in mtp-mode as well as in mass storage mode. I can browse the content the tablet via computer.

However Sony's own software, the pc companion can't find the tablet at all. There is no error message, just a complete blank when it is searching for the tablet.

I'm running Windows 7 and have tried uninstalling, reinstalling both the software and drivers but to no luck.

Anyone else with this problem or suggestion how to solve it?

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
My computer connects fine to my Z2 tablet via usb, both when in mtp-mode as well as in mass storage mode. I can browse the content the tablet via computer.

However Sony's own software, the pc companion can't find the tablet at all. There is no error message, just a complete blank when it is searching for the tablet.

I'm running Windows 7 and have tried uninstalling, reinstalling both the software and drivers but to no luck.

Anyone else with this problem or suggestion how to solve it?

I couldnt get it to work either, tried everything, even wiping the tablet.

However what worked for me was connecting the Tablet through wifi. With that I could see the tablet in PC companion, however I still cant get USB connection to work. So try Wifi? :)

woggly4

Dec 25, 2008
I had the same problem. Could fix it this way:
  1. plug in usb-cable only to your computer
  2. start connection-progress within the software
  3. plug in the other end of the usb-cable when prompted to connect your computer and tablet
  4. voilà!
I never imagined, the connection-order of the usb-cable would make any difference, but it works now (whyever).

If it doesn't work for you, download, install and run the update service (http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/), follow the instructions until your computer installs new drivers (don't wipe your device and don't apply any update, just abort the progress at this point) and try again the steps above.

mtilson

Oct 21, 2008
I had the same problem. Could fix it this way:
  1. plug in usb-cable only to your computer
  2. start connection-progress within the software
  3. plug in the other end of the usb-cable when prompted to connect your computer and tablet
  4. voilà!
I never imagined, the connection-order of the usb-cable would make any difference, but it works now (whyever).

If it doesn't work for you, download, install and run the update service (http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/), follow the instructions until your computer installs new drivers (don't wipe your device and don't apply any update, just abort the progress at this point) and try again the steps above.

Tried the above and still no luck.... Does anyone have any other suggestions? The tablet is recognized as a MTP device but will not connect to PC Companion. Ironically, when I first downloaded PC Companion, it did briefly connect to the device but it looked like additional windows drivers may have installed (?). I abruptly lost connection and have not been able to get it back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

zabih107

Aug 11, 2012
I had same issue as u. I fixed it like this: I switched to a laptop that had windows 7 running on it instead of windows 8. Uninstalled pic companion and redownloaded from Sony site. And installed. I reset the tablet. After reset done. I ran the pc companion then I connected my tab to laptop USB. And now after 15 sec my tab was recognized and prompted for the. 402 update. That is how I fixed it.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Finire

Oct 24, 2010
New York
SGP561

So I picked up my Verizon LTE Xperia Z2 the other day SGP561, and am having the same issue with not being able to connect the PC Companion. Every time I try to "pair" it with my laptop (running Win 8.1) the PC Companion app tells me the pairing has failed, try again.

I've uninstalled the device from the computer, uninstalled PC Companion, factory reset the tablet, re installed the PC companion and tried again. Every time, it gives me the same error, and just will not pair.

KapaiKiwi

Oct 5, 2011
Wellington
Instructions from Sony

I just had this issue, I assume you solved it but someone else might end up here looking like I did.

These were sent from John @ Sony support for the Z2 (Works for other models too though).

Running the software repair

Before you start you have to download the PC Companion software from http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/ and install it on your PC.

Once installed on your PC, double-click the PC Companion icon on your desktop to start the update.

Please ensure your phone is powered off and not connected to the PC when you begin this process. You are not required to connect the phone until after step 10.

1. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.

2. Phone Software Update.

3. Start.

4. Repair Phone

5. Continue

6. Accept data removal

7. Next

8. Wait for prepare

9. Select Phone

10. Follow the connection steps

Just did this myself and I am back up and running (Pitty it happened in the first place though)

canazei

Aug 22, 2014
Hi KapaiKiwi,
Thanks a lot for your instructions. After to navigate through the web whithout success (and reading very strange solutions) I have followed your procedure and finally I have fixed my Xperia LT15i.
I had deleted services and applications in order to optimize my phone until I reached a point where my USB connection failed. I had no way to reflash it and i felt lost.
This morning I had the plan to get a new phone. Thanks to you I have saved a lot of money!!!

From Barcelona, Catalonia

CATALONIA IS NOT SPAIN

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions from Sony

I just had this issue, I assume you solved it but someone else might end up here looking like I did.

These were sent from John @ Sony support for the Z2 (Works for other models too though).

Running the software repair

Before you start you have to download the PC Companion software from http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/ and install it on your PC.

Once installed on your PC, double-click the PC Companion icon on your desktop to start the update.

Please ensure your phone is powered off and not connected to the PC when you begin this process. You are not required to connect the phone until after step 10.

1. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.

2. Phone Software Update.

3. Start.

4. Repair Phone

5. Continue

6. Accept data removal

7. Next

8. Wait for prepare

9. Select Phone

10. Follow the connection steps

Just did this myself and I am back up and running (Pitty it happened in the first place though)