• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can't do OTA or manual update on a Tencent ROG phone 2 with WW fingerprint.

Search This thread

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
Hi all,

In November 2019 I purchased this Tencent ROG phone ii off eBay. It came with a ww firmware, however it seems like I am unable to update to any version on the Asus website.

I have attached my HW Info. What is the path I need to take to update this thing to android 11?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-131129144.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-131129144.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 36

Bhl00

Dec 14, 2019
Yes, you can't if your device is Tencent, even if you changed the fingerprint to ww and all the other stuff. There is a thread and someone made a small app or something that enables OTA ups for devices like yours (and mine) but I forgot the name and with the miriad of posts here, srsly I can't find it, lol. That thing work by changing the IMEI and other stuff iirc?? but since I'm lazy af it was too troublesome for me so I'm doing the upgrades like this: download the zip file from Asus website, move it to Internal root directory, I mean I just move with File manager from Downloads to Internal and restart the phone. Bam! after restart the phone asks me, do you wanna update? And I'm like O yeah baby, do you have to have to even ask? And thats all. Anyway as of this hours they didnt up the WW version there yet. There was a TW version for testing if I understood corectly but it's gone. Just wait for it 😌

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
Thanks for your reply. If someone could link me with that app that would be nice.

I have tried every manual update on the Asus website (A9 and A10 ones) and I get "update failed" when trying to run them. This would indicate that i need to flash Raw? The thing is, I thought if I had a ww fingerprint I would be able to at least run the manual updates from Asus?

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
Also if someone has the version directly after 1908.12.0, I could try update to that via manual update, however I can't find that version anywhere on the internet. I believe 1908.12.1.1 exists somewhere, but it's not on the Asus website

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
I would have to unlock my bootloader, clear all my data and flash via PC to use the raw firmware right? or would i be able to put it in the root directory of my phone and launch it that way?

Iq.ms

Jul 1, 2020
Yes you have to use your pc and unlock the bootloader and everything it's not that hard and there's a lot of guides here u can use

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
No worries, thank you. I will flash directly to the android 11 WW Raw once that is released. I'm assuming there will be no problem going straight from 9 to 11 via a raw flash?

Iq.ms

Jul 1, 2020
U welcome. And I don't think there will be any problems going straight to 11

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
Yeah that's why i remained on A9, i didn't feel like it was worth the effort to upgrade. However A11 has some cool features with google home that i want.

gilsol

Jul 6, 2010
Tel Aviv
Yeah that's why i remained on A9, i didn't feel like it was worth the effort to upgrade. However A11 has some cool features with google home that i want.
A10 was a mess in the beginning, in the end it was better than A9.
A11, is even better than both. Battery life has been improved by about 15%.

twicken

Sep 5, 2019
Nope i can not use the images provided by asus in their downloads. No. That's why i started this thread. I get the dreaded update failed message and nothing happens.