Can't enable Developer Mode on new Chromecast with Google TV

Search This thread

JasW

May 14, 2013
Just got my second CC w/Google TV, and I'm stunned to find that for some reason, I can't enable Developer Mode. Going to System > About and hitting Android TV OS Build seven or even seven hundred times does nothing. Which means I can't enable the installation of third party apps and a bunch of other things.

Interestingly, the Android TV OS Build on the newer CC w/Google TV is different/apparently newer than the one on my first CC w/Google TV. See pics below—the launch/first one has QTS1.210311.008.7350836, while the new one has QTS1.210311.017.A2.7686849. (What's that "A2" all about?) In any event, the first one says the system is up to date. 🤔

original CCWGTV.jpg
second CCWGTV.jpg

cropster

Apr 25, 2021
I was able to solve this by just updating to the latest version using the builtin updater in settings. The out of the box firmware (which I didn't document sorry but was a 2021 fw) was giving me this same bug.

Reactions: riesdepies

DonChino

Jun 2, 2013
Never mind.

In case any of you "stumble" in here from Google, then just know that you do not have to UPDATE any firmware. I am on the April, 2021 Security Level and I just bought that new 4K Chromecast with Google TV.

Go to the SEARCH option in the TOP MENU on the HOME screen and do a Voice Search for TOOLS and then install "Developer Tools". It will basically ENABLE the Developer Mode and then you can UNINSTALL the App.

Easy and now I have Developer Mode, so I can install nefarious Apps to my Chromecast, muhahaha...

Thanks for "forcing" me to search and documenting a better answer with RESULTS !!!

:cool:(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: ForbEx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was able to solve this by just updating to the latest version using the builtin updater in settings. The out of the box firmware (which I didn't document sorry but was a 2021 fw) was giving me this same bug.
    Never mind.

In case any of you "stumble" in here from Google, then just know that you do not have to UPDATE any firmware. I am on the April, 2021 Security Level and I just bought that new 4K Chromecast with Google TV.

Go to the SEARCH option in the TOP MENU on the HOME screen and do a Voice Search for TOOLS and then install "Developer Tools". It will basically ENABLE the Developer Mode and then you can UNINSTALL the App.

Easy and now I have Developer Mode, so I can install nefarious Apps to my Chromecast, muhahaha...

Thanks for "forcing" me to search and documenting a better answer with RESULTS !!!

:cool:(y)