Can't exit bootloader after trying to reinstall TWRP on android 10

Search This thread

TheEndernaut

Jul 13, 2019
I updated to android 10 an hour ago, and placed my phone into the bootloader so I could re-flash TWRP. After I ran the command (fastboot flash boot C:\Users\USER\Downloads\twrp-3.3.1-4-guacamole.img), and tried rebooting, I couldn't leave the bootloader. I've tried using the buttons, trying to push the img to the phone and force it into TWRP, but nothing works. I think I didn't enable USB debugging when I entered the bootloader, but it was enabled before I updated.

mercenaryhmster

• May 8, 2010
    It's a known issue, the commands aren't included in the bootloader for q yet. We need to wait for OnePlus to add them. To fix your problem, try fastboot booting the magisk patched boot.img for the 10 beta.

Last edited:

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
    California
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    I updated to android 10 an hour ago, and placed my phone into the bootloader so I could re-flash TWRP. After I ran the command (fastboot flash boot C:\Users\USER\Downloads\twrp-3.3.1-4-guacamole.img), and tried rebooting, I couldn't leave the bootloader. I've tried using the buttons, trying to push the img to the phone and force it into TWRP, but nothing works. I think I didn't enable USB debugging when I entered the bootloader, but it was enabled before I updated.

First you don't flash the TWRP image.
    That image is used as a fastboot boot. It is not to be flashed.

Normally, you would boot with that image and flash the TWRP zip to make it permanent.
    Once TWRP is flashed, you need to also flash Magisk.
    To get out of the situation you are in, you need a stock boot image to flash.
    Once that is done, you can start over.

Read the instructions carefully before flashing images.

Reactions: redpoint73

TheEndernaut

Jul 13, 2019

Normally, you would boot with that image and flash the TWRP zip to make it permanent.

Just to clarify then, when I run fastboot flash boot TWRP, I use the zip? If not, what command am I using?!

donelwero

Sep 20, 2012
    León, México
    Just to clarify then, when I run fastboot flash boot TWRP, I use the zip? If not, what command am I using?!

Hope I can explain myself. You are using a command you shouldn't be using: fastboot FLASH boot, you shouldn't flash the image from fastboot, you need to use that image to boot into recovery and then flash recovery itself from INSIDE recovery, then you NEED to flash Magisk from inside recovery too.

The command is: fastboot boot recovery.img

Btw, you can't see the "modules" option in Magisk because I think you flashed stock boot.img. Try flashing Magisk patched boot img and then flash recovery in Magisk as it was said before.

Reactions: redpoint73

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
    Oct 24, 2007
    After I ran the command (fastboot flash boot C:\Users\USER\Downloads\twrp-3.3.1-4-guacamole.img)

This is not a command you will find in any guide for this device (at least not any guide that is correct)!

The command you used, flashed the image to over-write the boot partition, which is essentially the kernel. You no longer have a kernel, so of course the phone cannot properly boot to OS. This is also not the correct way to install TWRP, so therefore you have no TWRP installed on the phone, either.

Proper sequence to install TWRP would have been:
    1) fastboot boot TWRP.img
    This only "boots" into TWRP, but does not install it. I know the syntax here is confusing. "boot" versus "flash boot" do completely different things. In this case "boot" is the action. In the command you used "flash" is the action, and the "boot" partition is the location.
    2) Flash TWRP installer zip
    3) Flash Magisk

At this point, the easiest path is probably to do what was suggested in Reply #6 above (flash patched boot image, boot to OS, open Magisk and install TWRP from Magisk).

Last edited:

blade35

May 11, 2017
    Mumbai
    This is not a command you will find in any guide for this device (at least not any guide that is correct)!

The command you used, flashed the image to over-write the boot partition, which is essentially the kernel. You no longer have a kernel, so of course the phone cannot properly boot to OS. This is also not the correct way to install TWRP, so therefore you have no TWRP installed on the phone, either.

Proper sequence to install TWRP would have been:
    1) fastboot boot TWRP.img
    This only "boots" into TWRP, but does not install it. I know the syntax here is confusing. "boot" versus "flash boot" do completely different things. In this case "boot" is the action. In the command you used "flash" is the action, and the "boot" partition is the location.
    2) Flash TWRP installer zip
    3) Flash Magisk

At this point, the easiest path is probably to do what was suggested in Reply #6 above (flash patched boot image, boot to OS, open Magisk and install TWRP from Magisk).
    How do you install TWRP from Magisk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope I can explain myself. You are using a command you shouldn't be using: fastboot FLASH boot, you shouldn't flash the image from fastboot, you need to use that image to boot into recovery and then flash recovery itself from INSIDE recovery, then you NEED to flash Magisk from inside recovery too.

The command is: fastboot boot recovery.img

Btw, you can't see the "modules" option in Magisk because I think you flashed stock boot.img. Try flashing Magisk patched boot img and then flash recovery in Magisk as it was said before.