• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can't find root method for LG Phoenix 2 (LG k371).

Search This thread

KippaStep

Jul 28, 2016
Hey all!

I recently bought the LG Phoenix 2 (LG k371) from ATT, and I really want to root it. But alas, I was unable to find any root method that works for my phone. Does anyone know of a method that will currently work for my device? It is running MarshMallow 6.0. I can update with any other info needed.

Thanks!

siferx

Nov 7, 2015
Lg Phoenix 2 root

KingRoot app will temp root this phone and you can uninstall all the at&t crap just fine but I needs to be re rooted every time you restart the phone I had to uninstall KingRoot my phone keeps randomly rebooting if its rooted with it

Reactions: 452steven

Hydran

Jul 10, 2010
I have the same phone. Kingroot did work for me. You have to run it several times but it does eventually work. Also had the random reboot issue on occasion but I did get the bloatware off. What I would like to know is once its temp rooted, is there a method to get permanent root? Any custom recoveries that work for this?

Hydran

Jul 10, 2010
Well I totally boned my phone I think. Kingroot works but it caused a lot of instability. It reboots the phone within minutes of getting temp rooted. So I tried supersume to remove kingroot (which seems to also have a pretty bad reputation as far as privacy goes) to replace kingroot with supersu. Everything seemed to go fine, the binary updated and looked good. Once the phone reboots though, it freezes on the AT&T logo. When I try to factory reset the android pops on screen for about 5 seconds and nothing changes. I can't do anything with adb. Whenever I try to list devices the phone is detected but it says it isn't "Authorized". If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Matt_Meag

Aug 21, 2016
Hey all!
I recently bought the LG Phoenix 2 (LG k371) from ATT, and I really want to root it. But alas, I was unable to find any root method that works for my phone. Does anyone know of a method that will currently work for my device? It is running MarshMallow 6.0. I can update with any other info needed.

Thanks!

I'm having the same issue looking for root method for this phone. If I have to convert to lollipop again somehow I will. Please help.

mnorris0678

Jul 1, 2011
Well I totally boned my phone I think. Kingroot works but it caused a lot of instability. It reboots the phone within minutes of getting temp rooted. So I tried supersume to remove kingroot (which seems to also have a pretty bad reputation as far as privacy goes) to replace kingroot with supersu. Everything seemed to go fine, the binary updated and looked good. Once the phone reboots though, it freezes on the AT&T logo. When I try to factory reset the android pops on screen for about 5 seconds and nothing changes. I can't do anything with adb. Whenever I try to list devices the phone is detected but it says it isn't "Authorized". If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.
Anybody else try Kingroot then Supersume and have the same trouble or had any success?

bwilliams111

Aug 29, 2016
I'm really not a fan of the fact that this device de-roots itself on every reboot, I know the developers have more popular models to address, so I'm not complaining. I was just wondering if anyone knows a way to keep that from happening and safely get rid of KingRoot and put SuperSU on instead...

James101

Jan 4, 2013
Stay away from Kingroot and supersume, you are going to brick your phone!!! You'll have to send it in to LG, and your phone will never be the same again!!!

It only takes one attempt of kingroot, and no more security updates from at&t, Error: !!your device is suspected of rooting!!
(even if you uninstall kingroot & unroot)

jt85

Mar 7, 2016
Phoenix 2 root

Anyone have any advice on hacking into the system somehow to bypass the boot loader in order to fix the bridging problem at&t left us with? Or possibly something like flashily to flash directly to device or so we can disable bootloader security, or bypass at&t security or something like the old school ways hacking the system if possible. I don't understand HW,SW,KERNEL,LINUX,CODE,APPS so its hard for me to hack it myself. Although, I have successfully rooted, flashed supersu and twrp'd my htc one m9. I have been into buildprops and enabled hotspot tethering and disabled data throttle through proxy servers and HSM. I just don't know where or how to start the root procession this device Cuz I'm still a newb. Please no one click root suggestions, I prefer the knowledge not the instant gratification! Thanks in advance!

Hydran

Jul 10, 2010
Tried it as well

I tried this method but it froze on the last step, I sat there for an hour while my phone was trying to run the script but nothing would happen.

Yeah I tried that before I attempted to Kingroot and then Supersume. Did the same thing. If anyone knows of a way to de-brick the phone when supersume fails I'd appreciate any help. Not sure it's even possible.

fastness

Nov 30, 2009
LG k371 is one of the k8 series.
All K8 were compressed at lz4 not the gzip. SuperSU v2.66 (and other previous system-less version of supersu installer) can't decompress LZ4-compressed kernel. So that procedure won't finish the last step.
There might be two ways to solve this issue, either repacking into gzip, or waiting for supersu's support to lz4.
I guess the supersu's support to lz4 could be easier. But I don't think ppl are working on it.

At that thread, someone succeed rooting another K8 model (LG K8 k350n), with a different chipset, Mediatek MT6735 . I guess you could check it out.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/install-systemless-supersu-patch-lz4-t3475765
http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum/printthread.php?tid=16681
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/supersu-v2-66-installed-lz4-compressed-t3296508

Yeah I tried that before I attempted to Kingroot and then Supersume. Did the same thing. If anyone knows of a way to de-brick the phone when supersume fails I'd appreciate any help. Not sure it's even possible.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all!

Thanks!
    amigo no entendi te completo, entonces tienes Root o no?

no no tengo root, pero logre restaurar mi equipo de un mal root que intente hacer.
    I just got my device over the weekend and already updated it. I'm working on uploading the source code for both MM and N for this device. I'm gonna do all I can to try and find stable root for MM/N versions but don't hold your breath on this nor ask for ETA!! I'm new to this snapdragon stuff so be patient.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I'm wondering if it's possible to downgrade back to 10b safely. My device came with 11n and I updated to N to get a feel of Nougat.

Do not even think about it unless you want to lose your money
    Lg Phoenix 2 root

KingRoot app will temp root this phone and you can uninstall all the at&t crap just fine but I needs to be re rooted every time you restart the phone I had to uninstall KingRoot my phone keeps randomly rebooting if its rooted with it
    I have a dump of the k37110h. Im going to try and port over cwm. I have a program that can flash the custom recovery over once Im able to get it ported