• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can't get custom recovery on Moto g 2014 XT1068.

Search This thread

Andy2290

Jan 13, 2016
I think I've tried every method of flashing a custom recovery on my moto g2 but the thing won't show up. I try to boot into recovery but the phone just turns off. Nothing happens so I tried booting into recovery through command prompt and still no success. Can someone please help me out with this. I have seriously no idea what to do.

LuK1337

Recognized Developer
Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
Moto G 2014
I think I've tried every method of flashing a custom recovery on my moto g2 but the thing won't show up. I try to boot into recovery but the phone just turns off. Nothing happens so I tried booting into recovery through command prompt and still no success. Can someone please help me out with this. I have seriously no idea what to do.

Which key are you trying to boot with? Power or Volume up?

pank.dhnd

Aug 10, 2015
Pune
Hello,
Before flashing custom recovery, make sure that you have unlocked bootloader. If not, here is the procedure: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Remember to install adb and fastboot on your computer along with Motorola drivers. Minimal ADB can be downloaded from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Once bootloader is unlocked, follow below steps:
1. Switch off your phone.
2. Press Power + Volume down button for 5 seconds and then release. You will see a menu with options like Normal Powerup, Recovery, Factory Reset etc. This mode is called as bootloader mode.
3. Now connect your phone to computer and from command prompt run below command
fastboot flash recovery <recovery image file name>
4. Now power off your phone and start in bootloader mote (see step 2).
5. When you see the menu, press volume down button to navigate the menu to downward size and select/highlight Recovery option.
6. Now press volume up button and your phone shall boot into recovery.

Good luck :fingers-crossed: