Can't get Lg G7 into Download Mode

Search This thread

onenite

Nov 15, 2019
Here is some background.
I ordered an LG G7 ULM off of ebay a few days ago. When I got it, I noticed that it was an LG G7 Sprint that was converted to ULM. (Which is typical of eBay). I decided to flash the latest ULM firmware to the device by downloading the latest kdz and flashing with LGup. What I didn't realize until later is that I flashed the "Brightpoint" ULM version. Knowing this, I wanted to flash the non Brightpoint version, but when I try getting into download mode, it doesn't work. It only shows the G7 logo, then shows the battery charging symbol.

Additionally, I am in USB debugging mode and have OEM unlock on in developer options.

Things I have tried:
  • Holding volume up and then plugging USB
  • Holding volume down and plugging in USB
  • Holding volume up and power button
  • Holding volume down and power button
  • Reboot fastboot via adb

Also, when i try using LGup without download mode it gives and error "spc code does not match"

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reactions: babykut

sampal

Feb 18, 2019
If you try ti flash when phone is not in download mode you get "spc code does not match" error.

First method is correct
"Holding volume up and then plugging USB" If that doesn't work try adb reboot download (I don't think there is download option with fastboot command or not supported by LG G7)

If you have ADB installed,connect phone with USB cable
1)Check your phone is listed in with command
Adb devices
2) then run this command
adb reboot download

Last edited:

onenite

Nov 15, 2019
If you try ti flash when phone is not in download mode you get "spc code does not match" error.

First method is correct
"Holding volume up and then plugging USB" If that doesn't work try adb reboot download (I don't think there is download option with fastboot command or not supported by LG G7)

If you have ADB installed,connect phone with USB cable
1)Check your phone is listed in with command
Adb devices
2) then run this command
adb reboot download

1. Adb devices shows my device.
2. I tried the adb reboot download. It just reboots normally. Shows lg logo then my phone is booted up.

None of the fastboot commands word because I can't get into download mode.

Last edited:

TWiiTCH

Nov 5, 2018
Halifax
1. Adb devices shows my device.
2. I tried the adb reboot download. It just reboots normally. Shows lg logo then my phone is booted up.

None of the fastboot commands word because I can't get into download mode.

If you have one of the models with OEM unlock inside the developer menu, you're wasting your time because it does nothing. I don't even know why it's there because the LG G7 ThinQ does not have fastboot mode baked in.

Try running a fastboot command and you will see. You have to get past the bootloader to access anyting to do a root and this is not possible on most of the phones here . Also you do not run these commands from download mode I don't believe, they would usually be done when in fastboot or recovery mode.

The only mode you're probably going to get into is download mode. It would be for manually upgrading firmware. You can go into that mode by holding power and Volume +. I tried for three days straight until I stumbled upon another Canadian who was able to root his phone but he had to use a special box and connectors.

There is no fastboot or recovery. All you can find is download mode and safe boot. I wish you the best of luck but if you have the same variant that I do and most of Canada does if it was purchased here then you will not be able to access fastboot because it does not exist. Don't take my word for it though, do your research and you will see I am speaking the truth. Or you can kill yourself and rip out your hair trying to get fastboot to to load but you will not succeed in doing anything but ending up bald. Luckily I shave my head or else I would have done that. Good luck on your research and if you should get fastboot to do anyting please post it in here for everyone to see so we can praise you and root our own phones also. Cheers my friend.

I didn't read back deeply but it sounds like you're attempting what I did, and use modded boot.img files to further gain access to what we need to root the phone. This is true as for what we need to do, but most who have flashed these images have either ruin their devices totally or had to reflash stock firmware. There were a few that got lucky and let's talk firmware fixed the issue but most phones that broke are probably in a landfill now. Please do share if you succeed in anyting we haven't already tried. I tried flashing to a firmware that does have fast boot capability but it did not work because fastboot is built into the phones and the firmware for any particular country has no effect on whether you can root your phone or not. Just before this I mentioned the boot.img method and I'm guessing the command you are running is something like fastboot flashroot_a boot.img and then typing the same command a second time but only with a letter b instead of an a. This method will not work either so please share if you discover a third method that no one else has discovered yet. I would donate money to you because you would basically be the developer of the root method that actually works.

Last edited:

onenite

Nov 15, 2019
If you have one of the models with OEM unlock inside the developer menu, you're wasting your time because it does nothing. I don't even know why it's there because the LG G7 ThinQ does not have fastboot mode baked in.

Try running a fastboot command and you will see. You have to get past the bootloader to access anyting to do a root and this is not possible on most of the phones here . Also you do not run these commands from download mode I don't believe, they would usually be done when in fastboot or recovery mode.

The only mode you're probably going to get into is download mode. It would be for manually upgrading firmware. You can go into that mode by holding power and Volume +. I tried for three days straight until I stumbled upon another Canadian who was able to root his phone but he had to use a special box and connectors.

There is no fastboot or recovery. All you can find is download mode and safe boot. I wish you the best of luck but if you have the same variant that I do and most of Canada does if it was purchased here then you will not be able to access fastboot because it does not exist. Don't take my word for it though, do your research and you will see I am speaking the truth. Or you can kill yourself and rip out your hair trying to get fastboot to to load but you will not succeed in doing anything but ending up bald. Luckily I shave my head or else I would have done that. Good luck on your research and if you should get fastboot to do anyting please post it in here for everyone to see so we can praise you and root our own phones also. Cheers my friend.

I didn't read back deeply but it sounds like you're attempting what I did, and use modded boot.img files to further gain access to what we need to root the phone. This is true as for what we need to do, but most who have flashed these images have either ruin their devices totally or had to reflash stock firmware. There were a few that got lucky and let's talk firmware fixed the issue but most phones that broke are probably in a landfill now. Please do share if you succeed in anyting we haven't already tried. I tried flashing to a firmware that does have fast boot capability but it did not work because fastboot is built into the phones and the firmware for any particular country has no effect on whether you can root your phone or not. Just before this I mentioned the boot.img method and I'm guessing the command you are running is something like fastboot flashroot_a boot.img and then typing the same command a second time but only with a letter b instead of an a. This method will not work either so please share if you discover a third method that no one else has discovered yet. I would donate money to you because you would basically be the developer of the root method that actually works.

Thanks for the reply.
I was reading into flashing the laf.img file which would fix the download mode not working, but I'm unable to gain root, so that isn't really an option.

I guess for now, I'm stuck with this firmware version. But, at least I'm on the latest pie version... Hopefully there will be a fix for it, or maybe someone will know how to fix this.

I have heard that you can buy for a service to fix this for around $30. But I don't think I would trust someone doing changes to my phone without a guarantee.

babykut

Sep 22, 2015
Hanoi
Help me

I have the same problem too, my phone is Verizon variant and I can't get to download mode :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem too, my phone is Verizon variant and I can't get to download mode :(
    OK, I have solved it by myselft, you can use ADB (adb reboot recovery) to restart your phone and then holding volume up key to boot into download mode, hope it work for you :eek:
    Here is some background.
    I ordered an LG G7 ULM off of ebay a few days ago. When I got it, I noticed that it was an LG G7 Sprint that was converted to ULM. (Which is typical of eBay). I decided to flash the latest ULM firmware to the device by downloading the latest kdz and flashing with LGup. What I didn't realize until later is that I flashed the "Brightpoint" ULM version. Knowing this, I wanted to flash the non Brightpoint version, but when I try getting into download mode, it doesn't work. It only shows the G7 logo, then shows the battery charging symbol.

Additionally, I am in USB debugging mode and have OEM unlock on in developer options.

Things I have tried:
    • Holding volume up and then plugging USB
    • Holding volume down and plugging in USB
    • Holding volume up and power button
    • Holding volume down and power button
    • Reboot fastboot via adb

Also, when i try using LGup without download mode it gives and error "spc code does not match"

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    OK, I have solved it by myselft, you can use ADB (adb reboot recovery) to restart your phone and then holding volume up key to boot into download mode, hope it work for you :eek:

Oh my God, you are a genius. I can't thank you enough.... It worked!!!

Thank you bro