Can't hear or say anything in calls

Search This thread

PondaRox

Jun 28, 2011
Abu Dhabi
I've had my HTC One for a year and a month. No problems so far (other than the purple tint thing, but everyone gets that)...until last night

I got a couple of phone calls , and when I answered, I found that I couldn't hear the other person and they couldn't hear me either. When I made some calls myself, I couldn't hear the tone in my own phone, though I could hear the phone I was calling (my landline) ringing. Answering on the landline, I couldn't hear anything on my phone and the landline couldn't hear anything either

I was running Android Revolution 81 with Elemental X at the time. I tried the usual fixes, wiping the caches, reflashing the kernel, and neither worked. When I flashed a new rom - ViperOne 7.0.1 - the problem was fixed in the one call I made to my landline. This morning, the issue came back

I don't think the mic and speakers have any problems, because the speakers work fine and the mic was also ok when I made a test video. Pretty sure the radio is alright too, since I can send/receive calls and wifi is also working normally (is wifi related to radio though? I'm not sure)

To phrase it eloquently: halp pls

greengirl

Nov 2, 2014
Help!

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem, it started on Friday and I don't have any idea how to fix it, I can't find anywhere on the internet with a solution either.
I hope someone gives a solution too, I use my phone a lot and need this problem fixed asap! :confused: :confused:

Finner42

May 5, 2011
Melbourne, AUS
I read your OP and thought I'd written it - exactly the same problem! Been running ARHD 81.0 for some time now, phone was working fine yesterday, but today no dice - can't hear anything, either the phone ringing or the person when they answer, and they can't hear me, whether it's an incoming or outgoing call.

Mar 23, 2011
I've had the same problem all day today with about 30 calls.
I'm running stock 4.3.3 and i did a factory reset, working perfect at the moment.
Only recent change was installing skype app.

AndyMAndroid

Dec 9, 2014
I've had the same problem all day today with about 30 calls.
I'm running stock 4.3.3 and i did a factory reset, working perfect at the moment.
Only recent change was installing skype app.

Same problem for me too- Running 4.4.3 w/ HTC Sense 6.0 on HTC One M7. Can't see any recent additions that could have caused it. Did a factory reset which fixed it for nearly a day, then back to the start again.

Safe mode doesnt help. Interestingly there was a similar problem on the Nexus 4 last year- Look at google forum post "Can't hear anything when calling on Nexus 4 after android 4.2.2 update"

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
I haven't had this issue myself, as I'm on the Verizon m7 anyways.
But I did see a post regarding this in these forums, and the suggestion was to clear data for the latest Google Play Services update.
Then reboot.
Why that effects it, I really don't know, but certainly worth a shot, seems like an easy fix if it works for you guys.
Something to do with the latest update messing up voice calls...
Good luck. :good:

Reactions: asgardr

adityadsouza

Nov 3, 2014
But I did see a post regarding this in these forums, and the suggestion was to clear data for the latest Google Play Services update.
Then reboot.
Why that effects it, I really don't know, but certainly worth a shot, seems like an easy fix if it works for you guys.

Thank you so much, this fixed it

FasFlex

Jul 5, 2012
So I have read on on about this problem.. It started happening to me one Sunday the 6th of December, So i googled it as we always found a couple solutions.
Clear data on:
Google play services
Google play store
Google play framework

Clear cache on:
Google play services
Google play Store

So I did that on Sunday and it all worked out fine the phone had the problem resolved.
But then Monday afternoon rolled on by and I need my phone for work and i try to make a call and it does the same thing. So not thinking its a big deal i do the wipe and all that jazz and it doesn't fix it this time.. So I re install my Rom Viper 7.0.1 and hope that that fixes it.
That fixed again for a a couple hours till this morning.. Now I don't understand why this is happening to the phone. But I really need a REAL fix not a temp fix for it to keep coming back and having to wipe my dalv cache just to make a phone call.. Its annoying.. So what I am wondering is if i go buy a new phone. Will this just happen as soon as I sync my google account with the phone and update all the apps again.

Any info on how I can actually fix it I was going to try to switch to a the GPE Rom cause I figure its half the size might not have the same problem.. But if it is related to the google apps then It will just keep doing it will it not?

jrunyan24

Dec 10, 2014
Solution From HTC Support Chat - Try This - Worked For Me

First go to Settings> Battery (or Power or Energy) and ensure that Fastboot is unchecked. After doing this, power the device down.

Press and hold the Volume Down button and the power button at the same time. Continue holding both keys until you see the 3 Android images on the screen and as soon as you see this screen let go of the keys

Turn off the device

Once turned off, Press and hold the Volume Down button and the power button at the same time. Continue holding both keys until you see the 3 Android images on the screen and as soon as you see this screen let go of the keys

Navigate to “Recovery” using volume buttons, then press power to select. After about 10 seconds of blackness, the screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.

Press and hold volume up then press the power button once. You will see something very similar to the example shown. -- e:can’t open /cache/recovery/command e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) -- A new screen will give you options like Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Navigate to “Wipe cache partition” the volume down button and select with Power. Navigate to “Reboot System Now” with the volume buttons and select with power.

I've had my HTC One for a year and a month. No problems so far (other than the purple tint thing, but everyone gets that)...until last night

I got a couple of phone calls , and when I answered, I found that I couldn't hear the other person and they couldn't hear me either. When I made some calls myself, I couldn't hear the tone in my own phone, though I could hear the phone I was calling (my landline) ringing. Answering on the landline, I couldn't hear anything on my phone and the landline couldn't hear anything either

I was running Android Revolution 81 with Elemental X at the time. I tried the usual fixes, wiping the caches, reflashing the kernel, and neither worked. When I flashed a new rom - ViperOne 7.0.1 - the problem was fixed in the one call I made to my landline. This morning, the issue came back

I don't think the mic and speakers have any problems, because the speakers work fine and the mic was also ok when I made a test video. Pretty sure the radio is alright too, since I can send/receive calls and wifi is also working normally (is wifi related to radio though? I'm not sure)

To phrase it eloquently: halp pls

Last edited:

jrunyan24

Dec 10, 2014
Follow up

First go to Settings> Battery (or Power or Energy) and ensure that Fastboot is unchecked. After doing this, power the device down.

Press and hold the Volume Down button and the power button at the same time. Continue holding both keys until you see the 3 Android images on the screen and as soon as you see this screen let go of the keys

Turn off the device

Once turned off, Press and hold the Volume Down button and the power button at the same time. Continue holding both keys until you see the 3 Android images on the screen and as soon as you see this screen let go of the keys

Navigate to “Recovery” using volume buttons, then press power to select. After about 10 seconds of blackness, the screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.

Press and hold volume up then press the power button once. You will see something very similar to the example shown. -- e:can’t open /cache/recovery/command e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists) -- A new screen will give you options like Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Navigate to “Wipe cache partition” the volume down button and select with Power. Navigate to “Reboot System Now” with the volume buttons and select with power.

UPDATE: This only worked for one call (checked my voicemail), then back to not working. I tried the solution again, did not work a second time. Got back on with HTC Support, they want to do a Master Reset, so I am backing everything on my phone up first. Will repost if this works.

Howie3045

Aug 19, 2012
very curious to see how this plays out but i feel its google causing the problem therefore it will likely come back. hoping to not have to reset mine. such a hassle to do

SyriasSerj

Aug 22, 2013
Lucca
Having the same issue since yesterday. Did a full format, reinstalled ViperOne 7.0.1 and tried to call with no apps in it and it worked multiple times.
Then I restored Titanium backup and calls have the same issue.
I think it's caused by some app but IDK

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Maybe I found someway to fix this
I deleted all data and cache from Play Framework, Play Services, Play Store, Contacts, Telephone
Then, in recovery, I wiped dalvik and cache and now it works

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Archangel22

Jul 4, 2009
The fault lies with google play service, they updated it and for some reason is buggy.

Uninstall Google Play Service

You can do this via Titanium backup

Once uninstalled you will notice no more gps, no more google playstore etc. You can hear audio when making calls. If you want google services install the following apk

Google Play Store 5.1.11
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...re-5-1-11-apk/

Do not update the software otherwise you will have the same audio issue until google fix this and release another update. Hope this helps you all, I have tested this and since midday I can confirm it is working fine for me along with the google services

Aegishua

Feb 26, 2008
Sydney
This might sound stupid but I uninstalled chrome after flashing a a fresh version of my ROM didn't work and now my phones back to 100%. It's been fine for a few days now with no issues.

So this sums up what I've done as of late which works,

1. Uninstall chrome
  2. Reflash your ROM
I hope this fixes the issue for you guys like it did for me.

EDIT: Running ViperOne 7.0.1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    seems to work... so far

Well I haven't posted on XDA in almost a year but this one brought me out of retirement.
    I spent over 4 hours working with AT&T tech support and then happened across a post about this and looked on XDA. What a complete disaster! Google crashes android phones... great.

Anyway, this issue hit one of my two M7 both are running Viper 7.0.1 with stock kernel (no idea why only one affected).

The fix seems to be to remove google play and I also removed play services to make sure. I have rebooted six times and made several test calls along the way. Seems to be holding up, I also sent an email to AT&T tech support to they would stop telling people to hard reset their phones uselessly. Not everyone has a back up!

Anyway, blow away google play until there is a new update!

And now back to retirement!

Russ741 :good: :cool:
    Need to clear cache partition

From off > volume down + power until phone starts > volume down to recovery then power > red exclamation mark volume up + power briefly then volume down until clear cache partition is highlighted and power to select. Once completed choose reboot.

Online chat with HTC gave me this solution on Thursday and it has worked without issue since.
    Then reboot.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone