• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can't install any custom ROM'S

Search This thread

logeshwywan

Oct 29, 2012
Chennai
Hi All.

I have stuck in weird issue in my pixel 3. Can't able to install any custom rom

Process I hav gone through..
Flash the stock rom Android 10/11 using flash all.bat (downloaded from Google website)
Then install the custom ROM'S boot image and install rom using adb sideload.
There is no error after adb sideload. Showing success.
After reboot, it normally boot into stock os.

Please help me to fix the same. Thanks in advance.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Hi All.

Flash the stock rom Android 10/11 using flash all.bat (downloaded from Google website)

I recently had similar issues (maybe same) doing Lineage. For me the key was to switch to using a usb 2.0 port. Lineage mentions doing this in their directions. I'm familiar with apps like qfil needing it also. Sure enough, all worked as expected with a 2.0 usb port.

cheers

Reactions: logeshwywan

AlexKarimov

Oct 13, 2019
Did you flash stock to both slots? Here's how I flash a custom ROM, starting with a clean flash of stock image:

Once in fastboot:

fastboot --slot=all flash bootloader stock-bootloader.img(or drag and drop to cmd window)

fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot --slot=all flash radio stock-radio.img(or drag and drop to cmd window)

fastboot --slot=(current slot) --skip-reboot update stock-image.zip(or drag and drop to cmd window)

fastboot --slot=(other slot) --skip-reboot update stock-image.zip(or drag and drop to cmd window)

Then you enter recovery and wipe/format data and reboot to system after.

From here, you enable USB debugging and reboot back into fastboot and follow the flashing instructions for your preferred ROM.

logeshwywan

Oct 29, 2012
Chennai
Did you flash stock to both slots? Here's how I flash a custom ROM, starting with a clean flash of stock image:

Once in fastboot:

fastboot --slot=all flash bootloader stock-bootloader.img(or drag and drop to cmd window)

fastboot --slot=(current slot) --skip-reboot update stock-image.zip(or drag and drop to cmd window)

fastboot --slot=(other slot) --skip-reboot update stock-image.zip(or drag and drop to cmd window)

From here, you enable USB debugging and reboot back into fastboot and follow the flashing instructions for your preferred ROM.
Thanks for your inputs, will try with your steps.. I have one doubt on this..As per Google's statement "Execute the flash-all script. This script installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system." - Flash-all script won't flash on both slots? please clarify! Because I did stock rom flash in that way only..

logeshwywan

Oct 29, 2012
Chennai
I recently had similar issues (maybe same) doing Lineage. For me the key was to switch to using a usb 2.0 port. Lineage mentions doing this in their directions. I'm familiar with apps like qfil needing it also. Sure enough, all worked as expected with a 2.0 usb port.

cheers
Wholla! It's working fine with 2.0 USB Ports. Many thanks for your suggestions.
Tried with 2 custom roms, perfectly great with first attempts..!

Last edited:
Reactions: AsItLies

AlexKarimov

Oct 13, 2019
Thanks for your inputs, will try with your steps.. I have one doubt on this..As per Google's statement "Execute the flash-all script. This script installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system." - Flash-all script won't flash on both slots? please clarify! Because I did stock rom flash in that way only..
I don't use the flash-all script, I use ADB and fastboot. Someone in the Dirty Unicorns thread had the same issue and edited the flash-all.bat and left instructions but he still had to use ADB and fastboot in the end to set the active slot and run flash-all again.

From the DU thread:
And could you please explain how we flash it to both slots?

Edit; got it working now
- Removed the -w in flash-all (not sure if it was necesarry)
- Runned flash-all while on b
- Then fastboot --set-active a
- Runned flash-all while on a

Then followed the instructions, and it worked.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
So, for those that may not realize, we should clarify why we may want to flash to both slots;

A custom rom isn't 'complete' by itself. It uses the 'blobs' that are a part of the original firmware. By flashing 'both' slots with the same firmware, that means when the custom rom does an 'update', both slots will have the same version of the 'blobs', and the update will work as expected.

So, if you never plan to update the custom rom, and only want to 'test' it, there's no reason to flash both slots. But, this does necessitate you know which slot you're on, and which slot things are being flashed to, of course.

Yeah, the A/B slot thing, it's confusing.

cheers

Reactions: dcarvil

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Once in fastboot:

Hi All.

cheers

cheers
    Wholla! It's working fine with 2.0 USB Ports. Many thanks for your suggestions.
    Tried with 2 custom roms, perfectly great with first attempts..!
    So, for those that may not realize, we should clarify why we may want to flash to both slots;

A custom rom isn't 'complete' by itself. It uses the 'blobs' that are a part of the original firmware. By flashing 'both' slots with the same firmware, that means when the custom rom does an 'update', both slots will have the same version of the 'blobs', and the update will work as expected.

So, if you never plan to update the custom rom, and only want to 'test' it, there's no reason to flash both slots. But, this does necessitate you know which slot you're on, and which slot things are being flashed to, of course.

Yeah, the A/B slot thing, it's confusing.

cheers