can't install updates please help

Search This thread

Pas_mecra

Jan 21, 2022
hello guy's, i'm a real noob with htc or "rooting" etc and i'm facing a problem. I just bought a htc one m9 with android 6. I think its refurbished because it look like new but the left speaker is louder than the right, and are not loud at all. So I thought I would update it for maybe solve the problem, but I have the update notification and when i click on it, it say the sytem is not stock so can't update. The phone isn't root so i don't know why i'm facing this, so after a long research i did many things like try to install RUU..exe or with RUU;zip and no one want to install. At one moment i change the CID and the OTA begin the update by itself (don't show the "not stock system" message anymore" but stop at 25% and reboot. I'm really confused and don't understand anythings, last thing i did is unlock the bootloader but doesn't change anythings. Is it possible to reinstall a pure stock version ? and after update it ? I am not interested by rooting the phone, i just want pure stock version and be able to update the phone, is it possible to get help? Thanks !

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
HTC U12+
What's the current CID of the phone? Which firmware version is currently installed? Which model name is engraved on the backside of the phone? Is the phone S-ON or S-OFF?

Please read the ReadMe thread in the general section if you don't know how to answer any of the questions.

Pas_mecra

Jan 21, 2022
What's the current CID of the phone? Which firmware version is currently installed? Which model name is engraved on the backside of the phone? Is the phone S-ON or S-OFF?

Please read the ReadMe thread in the general section if you don't know how to answer any of the questions.
current cid : htc 001 (don't remember what it was before i change it, something like 1111111)
firmware : 3.35.401.12
model : nothing on the backside (just htc) but on download mode i see "product: htc_himauhl"
S-OFF

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
HTC U12+
Ok. The SuperCID (11111111) was the culprit of your initial problem. On older HTC phones it was a way to unlock kind of a region free mode. On the M9 however, that CID prevents official updates from being installed.

Is your current CID really htc 001? Or is it HTC__001? Only the latter one is written in the legit format. The former one won't work.

HTC__001 is one of the CIDs that would match your current SKU (401).

The model name in download mode can be changed via RUUs. As long as no one changed the backplate, only the engraving on the backside of the phone shows the true model name. The engraving is quite small on the downer part of the backplate. Can you please take another look and see if you can find it? The ReadMe contains some commonly asked questions. There should be one that covers the engraving.

We should only proceed with flashing RUUs if we know the model name of your phone. It's not wise to flash GSM RUUs on a CDMA phone or vice versa.

Pas_mecra

Jan 21, 2022
Ok. The SuperCID (11111111) was the culprit of your initial problem. On older HTC phones it was a way to unlock kind of a region free mode. On the M9 however, that CID prevents official updates from being installed.

Is your current CID really htc 001? Or is it HTC__001? Only the latter one is written in the legit format. The former one won't work.

HTC__001 is one of the CIDs that would match your current SKU (401).

The model name in download mode can be changed via RUUs. As long as no one changed the backplate, only the engraving on the backside of the phone shows the true model name. The engraving is quite small on the downer part of the backplate. Can you please take another look and see if you can find it? The ReadMe contains some commonly asked questions. There should be one that covers the engraving.

We should only proceed with flashing RUUs if we know the model name of your phone. It's not wise to flash GSM RUUs on a CDMA phone or vice versa.
real cid is : HTC__001 (from getvar all)
I search everywhere with camera and there is nothing about the model, the person I bought it from told me it was refurbished, maybe thats a false case ? am I stuck ?

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
HTC U12+
It's up to you to decide whether you want to try flashing the 3.35.401.12 RUU or not. All clues imply that you have a 0PJA10000. However, we don't know for sure.

In case you want to proceed: Check the MD5 sum of the file that you can find in the ReadMe thread. Flash it with the instructions for the SD card method.

Afterwards the phone should be working normally, again. Unless it's not a CDMA variant. In the latter case you would at least get problems with network reception.

Edit with another thougt that comes to my mind: What's the fastboot getvar result for your MID. Since the refurbisher used the SCID they most likely didn't know that the M9 behaves differently than older HTC phones and probably didn't change the original MID.

Last edited:

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
HTC U12+
Well, if you manually changed the MID, didn't write down the original MID and there's no engraving on the backside of the phone then there's no way to know for sure which variant you own.

C.f. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
Tl;dr: Check whether the file didn't get broken during download (e.g. due to connectivity issues). The ReadMe thread suggests useful programs for that purpose.

Flashing broken files might lead to unrecoverable bricks; especially on S-OFF phones. "Good" file hosts like AndroidFileHost will always mention the reference MD5 value for their downloads.

The SD card method is the most fail safe method for flashing RUUs on a M9. That's why I recommend to use it, always. You'll want to get a card that has not more than 32 gb due to the needed format. Those cards should cost less than 10 €.

Edit: You can't use the RUU that you linked. Please read the ReadMe thread, thoroughly. That RUU uses a different encryption key. Everything you need can be found in the ReadMe thread. Trying to flash just any random RUU is quite dangerous on a S-OFF device due to the security checks being turned off. You might risk a brick.

Last edited: