Can't mount G1 in Ubuntu?

Search This thread

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
For some reason I cannot mount my G1 in Ubuntu/Intrepid....the SD Card reads just fine through a USB reader, but when I plug in the G1 and touch "Mount," nothing happens on the desktop. I get a lot of garbage when I run dmesg which concludes with:
Code:
[ 4246.867266] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 4246.867562] ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
[ 4246.867685] Dev sdc: unable to read RDB block 0
[ 4246.867887]  unable to read partition table

If I try to manually mount with mount -t vfat, it says "Can't read superblock". I can mount successfully using -t usbfs so it is "seeing" the device...

I also tried formatting one of the cards with mkdosfs

Same behavior with both the factory 1GB card and a Kingston 8GB.

I read somewhere that perhaps it ONLY works with a USB 2.0 host controller (I have only 1.1 in this old box), but it was on the t-mobile forum which I do not consider to be all that reliable.

Can anyone corroborate the USB 2.0 theory or offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Heya, I was in #android trying to help earlier :p.

As I said in IRC, USB 1.1 is flaky. It's not just T-Mobile forums that say this. Try a 2.0 port and it should work.

Edit: is the Windows machine you tried it on on the same PC? I remember you saying it mounted fine in Windows, but if it's on a separate machine with a 2.0 port that's kinda moot.

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
Must have been someone else in IRC, but thanks for trying to help both of us :D

Perhaps I will see if I can find USB2.0 controller laying around somewhere and then I could at least rule out that issue. Until then I can use the USB reader at least.

beartard

Jun 20, 2008
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
This is not really any help for you, but I run Kubuntu Intrepid and have had no trouble mounting my G1's SD-card over USB. It's a relatively new computer, though, so I know it's got a USB 2.0 controller on board.

If the controller is the issue, new ones can be found for less than $12 in whatever card format your desktop or laptop requires.

pdspatrick

Jul 7, 2008
/dev/null
For some reason I cannot mount my G1 in Ubuntu/Intrepid....the SD Card reads just fine through a USB reader, but when I plug in the G1 and touch "Mount," nothing happens on the desktop. I get a lot of garbage when I run dmesg which concludes with:
Code:
[ 4246.867266] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 4246.867562] ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
[ 4246.867685] Dev sdc: unable to read RDB block 0
[ 4246.867887]  unable to read partition table
If I try to manually mount with mount -t vfat, it says "Can't read superblock". I can mount successfully using -t usbfs so it is "seeing" the device...

I also tried formatting one of the cards with mkdosfs

Same behavior with both the factory 1GB card and a Kingston 8GB.

I read somewhere that perhaps it ONLY works with a USB 2.0 host controller (I have only 1.1 in this old box), but it was on the t-mobile forum which I do not consider to be all that reliable.

Can anyone corroborate the USB 2.0 theory or offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had this problem too, and it seems that when you write files to it, they disappear...try formatting on a windows box and see what happens...

Last edited:

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
I had this problem too, and it seems that when you write files to it, they disappear...try formatting on a windows box and see what happens...

Yikes...i at least haven't had any disappearing files :) I will also try formatting the card in Windows just to see if it helps.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone