Can't mount G1 in Ubuntu?

Search This thread

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
For some reason I cannot mount my G1 in Ubuntu/Intrepid....the SD Card reads just fine through a USB reader, but when I plug in the G1 and touch "Mount," nothing happens on the desktop. I get a lot of garbage when I run dmesg which concludes with:
Code:
[ 4246.867266] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 4246.867562] ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
[ 4246.867685] Dev sdc: unable to read RDB block 0
[ 4246.867887]  unable to read partition table

If I try to manually mount with mount -t vfat, it says "Can't read superblock". I can mount successfully using -t usbfs so it is "seeing" the device...

I also tried formatting one of the cards with mkdosfs

Same behavior with both the factory 1GB card and a Kingston 8GB.

I read somewhere that perhaps it ONLY works with a USB 2.0 host controller (I have only 1.1 in this old box), but it was on the t-mobile forum which I do not consider to be all that reliable.

Can anyone corroborate the USB 2.0 theory or offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Heya, I was in #android trying to help earlier :p.

As I said in IRC, USB 1.1 is flaky. It's not just T-Mobile forums that say this. Try a 2.0 port and it should work.

Edit: is the Windows machine you tried it on on the same PC? I remember you saying it mounted fine in Windows, but if it's on a separate machine with a 2.0 port that's kinda moot.

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
Must have been someone else in IRC, but thanks for trying to help both of us :D

Perhaps I will see if I can find USB2.0 controller laying around somewhere and then I could at least rule out that issue. Until then I can use the USB reader at least.

beartard

Jun 20, 2008
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
This is not really any help for you, but I run Kubuntu Intrepid and have had no trouble mounting my G1's SD-card over USB. It's a relatively new computer, though, so I know it's got a USB 2.0 controller on board.

If the controller is the issue, new ones can be found for less than $12 in whatever card format your desktop or laptop requires.

pdspatrick

Jul 7, 2008
/dev/null
For some reason I cannot mount my G1 in Ubuntu/Intrepid....the SD Card reads just fine through a USB reader, but when I plug in the G1 and touch "Mount," nothing happens on the desktop. I get a lot of garbage when I run dmesg which concludes with:
Code:
[ 4246.867266] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 4246.867562] ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
[ 4246.867685] Dev sdc: unable to read RDB block 0
[ 4246.867887]  unable to read partition table
If I try to manually mount with mount -t vfat, it says "Can't read superblock". I can mount successfully using -t usbfs so it is "seeing" the device...

I also tried formatting one of the cards with mkdosfs

Same behavior with both the factory 1GB card and a Kingston 8GB.

I read somewhere that perhaps it ONLY works with a USB 2.0 host controller (I have only 1.1 in this old box), but it was on the t-mobile forum which I do not consider to be all that reliable.

Can anyone corroborate the USB 2.0 theory or offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had this problem too, and it seems that when you write files to it, they disappear...try formatting on a windows box and see what happens...

Last edited:

jzerocsk

Sep 21, 2006
I had this problem too, and it seems that when you write files to it, they disappear...try formatting on a windows box and see what happens...

Yikes...i at least haven't had any disappearing files :) I will also try formatting the card in Windows just to see if it helps.